House Price Crash Forum
dog

Tax Abuser Of The Year

BOB KILEY, the London transport commissioner, has been forced to retire early after clashing with one of his directors.

Ken Livingstone, the Mayor of London, decided to replace him after facing losing either Mr Kiley or Jay Walder, the finance director of Transport for London.

Mr Kiley, Britain’s highest-paid public servant, with a salary and bonus package worth £600,000 a year, will step down at the end of January. He will have to leave his £2 million home in Belgravia, which was bought for him when he was recruited by Mr Livingstone five years ago.

BOB KILEY, the London transport commissioner, has been forced to retire early after clashing with one of his directors.

Ken Livingstone, the Mayor of London, decided to replace him after facing losing either Mr Kiley or Jay Walder, the finance director of Transport for London.

Mr Kiley, Britain’s highest-paid public servant, with a salary and bonus package worth £600,000 a year, will step down at the end of January. He will have to leave his £2 million home in Belgravia, which was bought for him when he was recruited by Mr Livingstone five years ago.

That takes the biscuit. It will be interesting to see what the next chap gets paid.

Tax abuser !

It’s all them MP’s/Lawyers awarding themselves massive inflation pay rises and making joe public pay for the shortfall in pension for them all that was created after the dot con crash

Our MP’s are always on holiday and yet we can do nothing about it, who you going to complain to, your local MP :lol::lol::lol:

For me the biggest tax abuser is Tony Blair.

Whilst I work my guts out to pay taxes based on the ideal my contributions are going to Hospitals, Schools,Roads. He is spending it on missiles and cluster bombs to be used on civilian populations in violation of all treatys known to the civilised western world.

Bob Kiley may indeed have been overpaid but unlike some of the other jobs posted through the year as Tax Abusers, this particular post is no sinecure and does involve doing something real and difficult.

For me the biggest tax abuser is Tony Blair.

Whilst I work my guts out to pay taxes based on the ideal my contributions are going to Hospitals, Schools,Roads. He is spending it on missiles and cluster bombs to be used on civilian populations in violation of all treatys known to the civilised western world.

Perhaps you'd like to name the last incident where British forces used a cluster bomb on a civilian population in breach of a treaty. Or a missile.

Edited by BoredTrainBuilder

Bob Kiley may indeed have been overpaid but unlike some of the other jobs posted through the year as Tax Abusers, this particular post is no sinecure and does involve doing something real and difficult.

And, strangely enough, public transport in London has got significantly better during his term in the job, especially the bits that central government actually allowed him to have some control over -- the buses, primarily. Imagine that, you pay top money for an acknowledged expert and you get some good results -- who could ever have anticipated that?

Perhaps you'd like to name the last incident where British forces used a cluster bomb on a civilian population in breach of a treaty. Or a missile.

Bearing in mind that it doesn't count if there were unintended civilian casualties caused by an attack on a legitimate military target. You have to be aiming at civilians for it to count.

Edited by zorn

Where have you been, it was in Iraq.

And the words "Sorry we made a mistake" dont cut any ice, in law ignorance is no defence merely a mitigating circumstance to lessen the sentence. And it will come, I am sure Blair will go down in history as a war criminal sooner rather than later.

Where have you been, it was in Iraq.

And the words "Sorry we made a mistake" dont cut any ice, in law ignorance is no defence merely a mitigating circumstance to lessen the sentence. And it will come, I am sure Blair will go down in history as a war criminal sooner rather than later.

Ignorance of the law is no defence. You can't say "We didn't know that bombing civilians was illegal", but it's a perfectly legitimate defence to say "We didn't know there were civilians at that location".

You could well say that you were not aware that Civilians were at the particular location when you launched the cluster bombs.

However when there is a clear pattern of events involving Civilian Casualties, Cluster Bombs in Built Civilian Environments, then I'm afraid your defence is full of holes.

As I say, you can make a single mistake and argue a defence, however when the facts are clear that indiscriminate targetting of civlian populations took place then for sure you are on very dodgy ground.

I am certain Blair and his henchmen will have to answer to a war crimes court in the future, obviously at a time when Blair is no longer in power.

The job is real and difficult but so is that of an ambulance driver. Public funds should not be used to pay these kinds of salaries. Running London Transport is job that no one ever 'fails at' no matter how bad the service gets.

Anyone could be forgiven for thinking the Government had a bottomless pit of money.

Oops nearly forgot, we have the labour party in office and as always they do have a bottomless pit of money, its the job of the opposition to come to power and repay the debts as was the case with every other labour government in history.

You could well say that you were not aware that Civilians were at the particular location when you launched the cluster bombs.

However when there is a clear pattern of events involving Civilian Casualties, Cluster Bombs in Built Civilian Environments, then I'm afraid your defence is full of holes.

As I say, you can make a single mistake and argue a defence, however when the facts are clear that indiscriminate targetting of civlian populations took place then for sure you are on very dodgy ground.

I am certain Blair and his henchmen will have to answer to a war crimes court in the future, obviously at a time when Blair is no longer in power.

a] NAME AN INCIDENT (British forces aiming cluster bombs or missiles at civilian populations in breach of international treaties). If not, withdraw the statement.

b] If only you could see how overstatement weakens your case.

Edited by BoredTrainBuilder

The US and the UK both officially acknowledged on April 3 that their air forces have been dropping cluster bombs on Iraq. Judging by the high numbers of cluster bombs dropped by the US on Afghanistan, Kosovo, and Iraq in 1991, the bombs have probably been used much more often than has been reported.

• On April 1, the residential al-Hilla outskirts of Babylon were hit with an undetermined number of BLU-97 A/B cluster bombs. Each bomb releases 202 bomblets which scatter over an area the size of two football fields, with a dud rate of 5%-7%. Immediate reports stated that at least 33 civilians died and around 300 were injured in the attack. Amnesty International condemned the attack, saying that “the use of cluster bombs in an attack on a civilian area of al-Hilla constitutes an indiscriminate attack and a grave violation of international humanitarian law." Independent reporter Robert Fisk wrote from al-Hilla, saying that many dud bombs landed, and remain, inside civilian homes.

• The British Ministry of Defence said on April 3 that RAF Harrier jets had dropped RBL755 cluster bombs on unspecified locations in Iraq. These bombs scatter 147 bomblets, and have a 10% rate of failure.

• Also on April 3, the United States reported that it had used B-52 bombers to drop six CBU-105 cluster bombs on Iraqi tanks defending Baghdad. On the same day, Iraq’s Information Minister reported that a cluster bomb attack on Baghdad had killed 14 people and wounded 66.

Cluster Munitions used against Iraq

Cluster munitions are similar to cluster bombs, but are fired from the ground and contained in artillery projectiles or rockets. When artillery or rockets fire cluster munitions, the result is the same as in cluster bombs: multiple bomblets scatter, many of which fail to explode. Human Rights Watch reported that more than 4,000 civilians were killed or injured by cluster munitions in Iraq after the end of the first Gulf War. The UK has admitted to firing cluster munitions around Basra. The US has yet to report that it is using cluster munitions, but numerous reports and videos from journalists embedded with US units show these munitions in use.

The US and the UK both officially acknowledged on April 3 that their air forces have been dropping cluster bombs on Iraq. Judging by the high numbers of cluster bombs dropped by the US on Afghanistan, Kosovo, and Iraq in 1991, the bombs have probably been used much more often than has been reported.

• On April 1, the residential al-Hilla outskirts of Babylon were hit with an undetermined number of BLU-97 A/B cluster bombs. Each bomb releases 202 bomblets which scatter over an area the size of two football fields, with a dud rate of 5%-7%. Immediate reports stated that at least 33 civilians died and around 300 were injured in the attack. Amnesty International condemned the attack, saying that “the use of cluster bombs in an attack on a civilian area of al-Hilla constitutes an indiscriminate attack and a grave violation of international humanitarian law." Independent reporter Robert Fisk wrote from al-Hilla, saying that many dud bombs landed, and remain, inside civilian homes.

• The British Ministry of Defence said on April 3 that RAF Harrier jets had dropped RBL755 cluster bombs on unspecified locations in Iraq. These bombs scatter 147 bomblets, and have a 10% rate of failure.

• Also on April 3, the United States reported that it had used B-52 bombers to drop six CBU-105 cluster bombs on Iraqi tanks defending Baghdad. On the same day, Iraq’s Information Minister reported that a cluster bomb attack on Baghdad had killed 14 people and wounded 66.

Cluster Munitions used against Iraq

Cluster munitions are similar to cluster bombs, but are fired from the ground and contained in artillery projectiles or rockets. When artillery or rockets fire cluster munitions, the result is the same as in cluster bombs: multiple bomblets scatter, many of which fail to explode. Human Rights Watch reported that more than 4,000 civilians were killed or injured by cluster munitions in Iraq after the end of the first Gulf War. The UK has admitted to firing cluster munitions around Basra. The US has yet to report that it is using cluster munitions, but numerous reports and videos from journalists embedded with US units show these munitions in use.

The al-Hilla attack was by US forces, although I accept this does not make it much better.

It is better to trade in facts than in hyperbole.

Do you think that either the government or forces on the ground as a matter of policy target civilians, or that they are happy when civilians are hurt or killed?

Their words not mine however the whole world saw it.

"SHOCK AND AWE" Targetting civilian installations in a densely populated city.

No I dont think the civilians were intentional targets, just as a drunk driver does not intend to kill someone however both are culpable for their actions and should be brought to task.

It is unacceptable in this day and age that such actions go unpunished. Iraq was not a threat, using a hammer to crack a nut is just not acceptable by any standards.

Their words not mine however the whole world saw it.

"SHOCK AND AWE" Targetting civilian installations in a densely populated city.

No I dont think the civilians were intentional targets, just as a drunk driver does not intend to kill someone however both are culpable for their actions and should be brought to task.

It is unacceptable in this day and age that such actions go unpunished. Iraq was not a threat, using a hammer to crack a nut is just not acceptable by any standards.

I agree that governments who deliberately target civilian populations cannot go unpunished. Whenever the civilised world has turned a blind eye, it has regretted it. That is why it was obliged to take action against the governments of, amongst others, Germany, Iraq, Serbia, Afghanistan and (for better or worse) Iraq for a second time.

Iraq was indeed a threat, not least to its own people.

But we agree that in the case of UK forces the civilians were not targetted deliberately. Perhaps, to spare the yawns of everyone else on this house price forum, we should leave it there?

Tax abuser of 2005

Director General of the BBC

£459,000

Dog,

Thanks for once again highlighting the scandal of wasted taxes.

Something like £800 million per year of tax revenue is wasted on 'non-jobs'. It is a national disgrace. The government should be ashamed as should be the parasites who accept these jobs.

Interesting to note that tax freedom day in the UK was 31 May this year and in the US it was 17 April. We UK tax payers (and businesses) spend 44 more days per year working for the government than our US counterparts and we wonder why the UK is losing jobs and is becoming uncompetitive. We are also losing out to Eastern European countries who have adopted a flat tax (and hence a smaller Government) approach. If the high taxation and massive waste continues the UK is in danger of becoming completely uncompetitive and eventually economically irrelevant.

I think it is this point that people don’t understand – these ‘non-jobs’ and other government waste actually affect each and every one of us.

I take it you are a member of http://www.taxpayersalliance.com ?

Another good web-site for those who need convincing that a low tax economy is better is http://www.adamsmith.org/tax/

The job is real and difficult but so is that of an ambulance driver. Public funds should not be used to pay these kinds of salaries. Running London Transport is job that no one ever 'fails at' no matter how bad the service gets.

Hopefully they will splash the 600k on robotic trains or Id be happy it being spent on contributing to the bare stat minimum redundancy pay for all drivers who are striking in order to give them the opportunity to redeploy their skill elsewhere in our grand economy

Hopefully they will splash the 600k on robotic trains or Id be happy it being spent on contributing to the bare stat minimum redundancy pay for all drivers who are striking in order to give them the opportunity to redeploy their skill elsewhere in our grand economy

The Northern, Jubilee and Victoria Lines could be entirely driverless as it is and before long (a decade or so) all LUL lines could be run without 'drivers'. We have the technology.

The Northern, Jubilee and Victoria Lines could be entirely driverless as it is and before long (a decade or so) all LUL lines could be run without 'drivers'. We have the technology.

How wonderful technology is, sadly not in my lifetime when we will all be paid to stay at home. My teacher was correct in 1959 when he told us all that future technology would give us lots of leisure time. :D