House Price Crash Forum
laughing_goat

New Year Property Market Tips On The Beeb

So yet again the Beeb get their impartial advise from an EA!

Some parts of this article are useful as it mentions comparing asking prices to land reg data, but I am very disapointed with the following statement.

Finally, when you make an offer, take into account that 2006 is unlikely to be the buyer's market we have experienced in much of 2005.

Clearly, this depends on where you are and the type of property you are making an offer on, but confidence is growing overall and this, coupled with a shortage of stock, means that you could lose out on your dream home if you offer well below asking price.

How many people who weren't going to buy a house are now going to panic buy some s**t hole?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4524450.stm

Shortage of stock? I thought there was a record number of unsold properties on estate agent's books over the last year.

Usual BBC free infomercial for the housing industry!

I still haven't recovered from the extraordinary one eyed bias of that Barbara Goldsmith FTB program.

Shortage of stock? I thought there was a record number of unsold properties on estate agent's books over the last year.

I still haven't recovered from the extraordinary one eyed bias of that Barbara Goldsmith FTB program.

Yes and like with the Barbara Goldsmith fiasco, I have felt compelled to send my thoughts to them via their complaints proceedure.

I think the problem with the BBC is the same problem that Nu Labour has... they're often guilty of trying to give people what they want, rather than what they need (especially on BBC1 and the website which have to try to appeal to a *very* broad audience).

Some would say this is exactly what the Beeb should both be doing, and I can understand why it happens. But personally I'd prefer a Beeb that was doing less reflection and more examination. A mirror is only useful for showing you where you've been, not where you're going.

However in the current anti-BBC climate I suspect there are few people at the BBC who can afford to do anything other than toe a very careful line in terms of pushing unpopular news and attitudes.

Andrew McP

I think the problem with the BBC is the same problem that Nu Labour has... they're often guilty of trying to give people what they want, rather than what they need (especially on BBC1 and the website which have to try to appeal to a *very* broad audience).

Some would say this is exactly what the Beeb should both be doing, and I can understand why it happens. But personally I'd prefer a Beeb that was doing less reflection and more examination. A mirror is only useful for showing you where you've been, not where you're going.

However in the current anti-BBC climate I suspect there are few people at the BBC who can afford to do anything other than toe a very careful line in terms of pushing unpopular news and attitudes.

Andrew McP

Seems like every forum has it's favourite 'meejia' - I've only been on here since last night and already recognise that 'The Beeb' is akin to Mumsnets fav - The Daily Mail

I think the thing with the BBC is that they want to appeal to the majority. That is the 70% of the population that own their homes. Also the majority of people who bother watching the BBC News everyday are middle-class folk with more of an interest in property (speculation and profit)!!

I think the thing with the BBC is that they want to appeal to the majority. That is the 70% of the population that own their homes. Also the majority of people who bother watching the BBC News everyday are middle-class folk with more of an interest in property (speculation and profit)!!

you mean the licence-fee payers ! not us scrotes who rent, keep moving and never buy a licence.. (not me of course <_< )

It does seem that way and I can even understand them getting an EA in to write about how the house buying/selling process works, but still I'm finding it hard to accept the peddling of such a bias view without challenge from someone who is obviously going to profit from a rising market and potentially loose his job in a falling one. If a journalist had written it, I would have accepted it as someones view, not nessesarily one I share, but the view of someone to whom it makes no difference if the market falls. They did put a disclaimer at the bottom of the article but this (of course) was simply to cover their backs when people like me complain.

It does seem that way and I can even understand them getting an EA in to write about how the house buying/selling process works, but still I'm finding it hard to accept the peddling of such a bias view without challenge from someone who is obviously going to profit from a rising market and potentially loose his job in a falling one. If a journalist had written it, I would have accepted it as someones view, not nessesarily one I share, but the view of someone to whom it makes no difference if the market falls. They did put a disclaimer at the bottom of the article but this (of course) was simply to cover their backs when people like me complain.

But estate agents don't have a big interest in price changes -- whether prices go up 5% or down 5% doesn't make a lot of difference to them. What estate agents need is volume -- they'd far rather have 1.6 million transactions in the year at an average price of £150,000 than 1 million at an average price of £165,000.

so your saying its best for them to censor out any not so good news.

are you sure thats what you want from your 'independent' public broadcaster ???

But estate agents don't have a big interest in price changes -- whether prices go up 5% or down 5% doesn't make a lot of difference to them. What estate agents need is volume -- they'd far rather have 1.6 million transactions in the year at an average price of £150,000 than 1 million at an average price of £165,000.

Hi (again) Zorn,

You are right about the transactions but I think this also fits well with my arguement. High numbers of transactions and buyer interest will push the HPI upwards.

I honestly can't blame the EA for his article, he has written what you would expect him to write. The Beeb, however, are the ones who gave hime the platform in which to do it.

LG

I think one of the problems with EAs and vendors at present is the belief that if things start selling then prices MUST rise - what would be wrong with a bouyant market but with little or no increase? surely that would suffice buyers, sellers and EAs - unfortunately, the mindset seems to be that if house A sells for £x, then house B next door to it must sell for £x plus 10% - this is the greed that needs to be shifted from people's mindet