House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
BillyShears

Bye Everyone

I think I have to say bye to everyone. I've made a number of serious posts to various forums here, but note that none of them have appeared. Since I can't participate, I'm off to other forums. While I believe that houses are overpriced and that some correction must happen, I can't join in with the established culture here which suggests that every tiny detail is iron clad proof of a massive crash occurring right now. Hence I'm very unlikely to meet the required standards of the moderators.

Bye then,

Billy Shears

Guest Charlie The Tramp

I think I have to say bye to everyone. I've made a number of serious posts to various forums here, but note that none of them have appeared. Since I can't participate, I'm off to other forums. While I believe that houses are overpriced and that some correction must happen, I can't join in with the established culture here which suggests that every tiny detail is iron clad proof of a massive crash occurring right now. Hence I'm very unlikely to meet the required standards of the moderators.

Bye then,

Billy Shears

BillyShears Dec 18 2005, 02:23 PM IP: 80.176.151.208 | Post #103|

OK. Now that this thread has got to 100 messages (including mine) I admit all.

I'm a troll. I don't believe that house prices can continue rising indefinitely. I don't know what will happen and when. I was just indulging in a bit of black humour (or attempt thereof) by satirising by extreme example the arguments I hear about why house prices will keep on going up and up and up.

Apologies if I've offended anyone. I was sort of letting off steam built up due to frustration with the housing market.

BS

Let me remind you of the above post.

Maybe a humble apology to Webmaster and the Moderators for posting a so called trollish thread may be in order if as you say you are a genuine poster, so far that has not been forthcoming.

Your posting in the Main Forum is subject to Moderator approval which means they remain invisible until a Moderator checks them before putting them up.

Let me remind you of the above post.

Maybe a humble apology to Webmaster and the Moderators for posting a so called trollish thread may be in order if as you say you are a genuine poster, so far that has not been forthcoming.

Your posting in the Main Forum is subject to Moderator approval which means they remain invisible until a Moderator checks them before putting them up.

Even in the "house prices to rocket" thread after I switched back to normal mode, I think that any reasonable reader would see that I was then genuine. After reading your post I did see if any of my latter posts had made it through moderation, and some had. It was informative to see that only posts either quoting evidence supporting a bearish position (e.g. if FTBs dropped to 8% last year, was that 8% of a 30 year low in sales, meaning that the drop in FTBs had been even more severe than it first appeared?), or not arguing for or against HPC (renting) had got through.

However, most importantly, I don't feel that I have anything to apologise for. Satire is a valid method of bringing points up for argument, and that is what I did. And this was fully explained after a short period. Neither do I really feel a huge motivation to grovel before the assorted bigwigs of HPC so that I may be granted the precious priviledge of being able to post in the main forums. You may write me off as some arrogant newbie but personally I think that the HPC forum would benefit more from having me as a regular poster than I would gain through posting. (not serious: so whom should grovel before whom).

I think that this forum may have started well, but the prevailing culture here is no longer conducive to intelligent debate. The prevailing culture appears to be a semi-religious one. I even saw people saying that they had been "saved" by HPC. And like many religions, a house price crash here is now treated more like dogma than theory. The attribution of any conflicting evidence to VI spin, or the construction of increasingly contorted arguments as to why even evidence seemingly supporting either a soft landing or prices being maintained in the short term does support a HPC next week. The increasing reliance on anecdotal evidence (exaggerated: "the land registry figures may be XXX but a newsagent three miles from me has three houses for sale in the window while all of last year it only had one) reminds me of the kind of evidence-dodging arguments used to support dodgy alternative medicine and the like.

It's not that I disagree with the likelihood of a house price crash, but like many things there is conflicting evidence that must be sorted through and weighed, and a great deal of uncertainty concerning exactly what will happen, when, and how. Going too far in arguing a case is counter-productive, and that is what I believe is happening here.

BillyShears

Guest Charlie The Tramp

However, most importantly, I don't feel that I have anything to apologise for. Satire is a valid method of bringing points up for argument, and that is what I did. And this was fully explained after a short period. Neither do I really feel a huge motivation to grovel before the assorted bigwigs of HPC so that I may be granted the precious priviledge of being able to post in the main forums. You may write me off as some arrogant newbie but personally I think that the HPC forum would benefit more from having me as a regular poster than I would gain through posting. (not serious: so whom should grovel before whom).

The type of so called satire you posted is nothing more than an encouragement to others as we see too often to trash the Main Forum in an attempt to discredit this website.

OK. Now that this thread has got to 100 messages (including mine) I admit all.

So you explained after a short period did you? You appear to me as someone who comes across with an over inflated ego and a touch of arrogance.

As for us being assorted bigwigs you really have not done any research about this site, and to those who have a accused me of having a vested interest as a member and moderator in a HPC please let me know how.

PUBLIC QUESTIONING OF MODERATORS DECISIONS

Whilst we try to be as open as possible in the moderation of the forums, the moderators do not have the time to enter into public debate over the rights and wrongs of every moderating decision. Any posts questioning a moderators decision, or the forum rules, will be deleted.

Maybe the above Forum Rule explains why certain posts of yours in the Main Forum were not put up.

The type of so called satire you posted is nothing more than an encouragement to others as we see too often to trash the Main Forum in an attempt to discredit this website.

So you explained after a short period did you? You appear to me as someone who comes across with an over inflated ego and a touch of arrogance.

As for us being assorted bigwigs you really have not done any research about this site, and to those who have a accused me of having a vested interest as a member and moderator in a HPC please let me know how.

Maybe the above Forum Rule explains why certain posts of yours in the Main Forum were not put up.

It appears that anyone who posts something the majority don't like the sound of is labelled a troll.I am as surprised as the next person with the endless rises in the prices of houses and was fully expecting a small rise in my house but was pleasantly surprised.I would not mind a bit if house prices fell a bit to help all round but I think they may stabilise but not drop.My house rose by 100k in 14mths completely unexpectedly and I think it was a combination of luck good design and very favourable reports in the press of a local school.I posted this and was labelled a troll strange that anything which goes against the main view of this site is a lie Look out for my transcript of this in a paper near you soon

I've got an over inflated ego and a touch of arrogance? Compared to a culture of "everything we say is right, everything the rest of the world says is wrong?" I don't think so.

And you have a rule saying that posts questioning the actions of moderators are not put up and this could explain why certain of my posts have not appeared. I *know* that not to be the case.

BillyShears

Guest Charlie The Tramp

It appears that anyone who posts something the majority don't like the sound of is labelled a troll.

Am leaving this site now although will be directing my other property developing friends here for a good laugh

Incorrect this quote from one of your posts labelled you with your troll status personally actioned by me.

As I explained to you Billy Shears in your own thread.

This poster is a typical example.

Also if you read most of the threads on a regular basis you will be surprised to find many posters with bullish views who are not labelled with any tag. If you think this site is heavily censored try posting bearish views on the Channel 4 forum, no troll sub forum there but a complete ban.

So if you wish to post windups we have graciously supplied you with your very own forum.

Incorrect this quote from one of your posts labelled you with your troll status personally actioned by me.

As I explained to you Billy Shears in your own thread.

This poster is a typical example.

Also if you read most of the threads on a regular basis you will be surprised to find many posters with bullish views who are not labelled with any tag. If you think this site is heavily censored try posting bearish views on the Channel 4 forum, no troll sub forum there but a complete ban.

So if you wish to post windups we have graciously supplied you with your very own forum.

sad little man

b]BTW my post was not a wind-up post. [/b]

It was my own appraisal of the market as I see it which conflicts with the view commonly expressed on HPC in which prices are falling. I do not see this and wanted to raise this as an issue for discussion. Are there regional variations?

But rather than discussing this I am simply labeled a troll. Suddenly my multiple accounts become an issue.

For six months I have had exactly the same number of accounts. This has not been an issue when I post a bearish viewpoint.

Guest Charlie The Tramp

sad little man

Not exactly, I`m 5 feet 11 ins in height, early retired successful businessman, mortgage paid up twenty five years ago, and a very nice monthly income from my investments, and as an older babyboomer I also get some flack by a minority on this site. Got you thinking has it why I am a member and moderator on this forum, just read my 4549 posts, and yes I am really a very happy man. :D

Not exactly, I`m 5 feet 11 ins in height, early retired successful businessman, mortgage paid up twenty five years ago, and a very nice monthly income from my investments, and as an older babyboomer I also get some flack by a minority on this site. Got you thinking has it why I am a member and moderator on this forum, just read my 4549 posts, and yes I am really a very happy man. :D

Then why are you so suspicious of other happy succesful people

Guest Charlie The Tramp

Then why are you so suspicious of other happy succesful people

Only those who goad people who refuse to buy rubbish built shoeboxes at over inflated prices referring to them as losers, whingers, and missing the boat. Until these FTBs buy the market is knackered as all those amateur BTLs bale out next year.

I have been an observer of the UK economy for forty years and the HM for 35 years and with the present massive debt bubble we are going to have the biggest bang the UK has ever known. If you cannot see it then do carry on living in your dream world.

BTW we have a new member Bill der a small developer like yourself you should read his posts, interesting.

Only those who goad people who refuse to buy rubbish built shoeboxes at over inflated prices referring to them as losers, whingers, and missing the boat. Until these FTBs buy the market is knackered as all those amateur BTLs bale out next year.

I have been an observer of the UK economy for forty years and the HM for 35 years and with the present massive debt bubble we are going to have the biggest bang the UK has ever known. If you cannot see it then do carry on living in your dream world.

BTW we have a new member Bill der a small developer like yourself you should read his posts, interesting.

I am not a developer small or otherwise Things can slow without crashing stop scare mongering you old fool

Guest Charlie The Tramp

I am not a developer small or otherwise Things can slow without crashing stop scare mongering you old fool

Your not then, just a typo error was it ?

my other property developing friends

Resorting to personal insults are we now lets wait and see. <_<

BTW a Happy New Year.

Your not then, just a typo error was it ?

Resorting to personal insults are we now lets wait and see. <_<

BTW a Happy New Year.

I was meaning other as opposed to those on here Unfortunately not me.I do know a fair few as I was an interior designer before my health went pear shaped and they are all doing well I do think this site is scaremongering tbh

Guest Charlie The Tramp

I do think this site is scaremongering tbh

Well may I suggest you fully browse the Forum and click on the links to economic articles whose writers now have similiar views to many posters on this website. You may find it very interesting.

Here`s just one.

Time to pay the bill

And another

Bosses predict year of pain

Guest Bart of Darkness
It appears that anyone who posts something the majority don't like the sound of is labelled a troll.

What about Time to Raise the Rents

ImUpNorth

Brainclamp

Dogbox

zorn

All have posted here for quite a while, yet have not been consigned to the Troll group.

Odd that.

Guest Cletus VanDamme

What about Time to Raise the Rents

ImUpNorth

Brainclamp

Dogbox

zorn

All have posted here for quite a while, yet have not been consigned to the Troll group.

Odd that.

Pretty clear to me why not. These guys are consistent in their posts and whose standpoint and views are clear. They don't post pointless, wind-up posts.

Guest Bart of Darkness

Pretty clear to me why not. These guys are consistent in their posts and whose standpoint and views are clear. They don't post pointless, wind-up posts.

Exactly my point.

Hi Billy,

Just had a look at your threads on SP, those bulls appear to be ignoring you. As you have found out when you try to tell a bull they are about to witness a correction is akin to a turkey looking forward to Christmas