House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

the gardener

Router Woes

I have a Netgear dgnd3700v2 router. It refuses to work with my company laptop which uses a VPN to connect. - Cisco AnyConnect. I just cannot get it to work, it says I'm connected to the internet - i get an ip address listed, it says I'm connected to the work network but the 3 item on the Cisco app says the there is no policy server detected and default network access is in force which must meant none since i can't get my email or see any network drives.

If i use an old talktalk router it works fine so i think we can rule out my isp or any software running on the laptop.

What could be the problem? I've tried lots of settings but nothing works.

Come on HPC gurus, can you succeed where me and google, plus my company IT helpdesk has failed?

I have a Netgear dgnd3700v2 router. It refuses to work with my company laptop which uses a VPN to connect. - Cisco AnyConnect. I just cannot get it to work, it says I'm connected to the internet - i get an ip address listed, it says I'm connected to the work network but the 3 item on the Cisco app says the there is no policy server detected and default network access is in force which must meant none since i can't get my email or see any network drives.

If i use an old talktalk router it works fine so i think we can rule out my isp or any software running on the laptop.

What could be the problem? I've tried lots of settings but nothing works.

Come on HPC gurus, can you succeed where me and google, plus my company IT helpdesk has failed?

Try turning it on and off

Other than that I blame Islamic State

You have a VPN wizard on the router - if you do not set it up then it is disabled by default. So get into your router settings and do you stuff, do your thing, take them out.

The VPN wizard confuses me. In my limited router knowledge (the level of a small child) I understand that this router can do VPN pass through but also act as a end point. When running the wizard it asks for details of the other end (work servers) which I don't know. The crappier talk talk router asks for nothing but just works.

I cannot help you as I do not know enough about what is going on re your router, client and your company network.

Your IT people should have been able to help as they have the info needed.

However, this Netgear web page should assist:

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/966/~/troubleshooting-vpn-passthrough-for-home-routers?cid=wmt_netgear_organic

I cannot help you as I do not know enough about what is going on re your router, client and your company network.

Your IT people should have been able to help as they have the info needed.

However, this Netgear web page should assist:

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/966/~/troubleshooting-vpn-passthrough-for-home-?cid=wmt_netgear_organic

Yep, been there, done that. NAT thing ticked, respond to IP ping on internet port ticked. Port thing done - in fact I set up a policy to open all ports. Still no luck. Don't think I need to know the how to configure my company VPN since it's installed pre-configured and I have no admin rights to modify anything, in fact there seems to be nowhere to do that anywhere in the Cisco software on the laptop.

The other router works fine.

I suspect a bug in the router. It has the latest firmware on it.

I have had a similar problem caused by incorrect MTU settings.

If the new router has a lower MTU configuration than the previous one, long packets can be lost.

This can mean it appears to connect, but browsing the network etc can fail.

Try reducing your VPN MTU, instructions here:

https://support.purevpn.com/how-to-change-mtu-value-on-windows-xp-vista-7-and-8

might be a glitch on the VPN network, fixed pronto Monday morning

I have had a similar problem caused by incorrect MTU settings.

If the new router has a lower MTU configuration than the previous one, long packets can be lost.

This can mean it appears to connect, but browsing the network etc can fail.

Try reducing your VPN MTU, instructions here:

https://support.purevpn.com/how-to-change-mtu-value-on-windows-xp-vista-7-and-8

Cheers. I did try that already but maybe I didn't lower it enough. I think I put it at 1430.