House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ill_handle_it

Headphones With Detachable Cable Sub £100

So my cat has chewed through the cable on my headphones again. Tried to repair but gave up, the wires are so thin,I lost patience. The unit only cost about £20 and they've lasted a year,so time for some new ones.

One feature must be that I can sleep on my side with them on. Therefore they need to be somewhat flat. Thanks in advance.

Sennheiser HD201 are really very good for the money - and they're so cheap that you can afford to have the cat eat them every year or so. Fairly comfortable as well.

Other than that I could only suggest in-ear jobs - which can be good. I'd go for those fancy moulded ones if I was going to be sleeping with them, but that would be over your budget.

In fact exactly what the cat chewed. You're right,very good indeed. They also sit flat and sound pretty good. Not cat proof though. I want something with similar design but I can't see anything on eBay or Amazon. Sounds lazy I know.

If you were happy with the Sennheisers, then forget about the £100 limit and just buy some more expensive ones with a detachable cable.

I bought my HD 508's about 15 years ago, and have replaced the cable once.

I haven't got a cat though :)

Why don't you have the cat stuffed, to preserve your headphones?

You could consider German Maestro 8.40 headphones - they have an armoured cable...

[German Maestro are pretty good headphones, though. Used to be known as Quart years ago. The 8.35 are very good, comfortable and indestructible, the 200 and 400 range GMPs are among the most comfortable headphones I've used, although perhaps a bit delicate (use elastic bands to support the cups)]

There are always Sennheiser HD25s - about £100 and detachable cables. Mine have a decent sound (although I prefer the sound of the Quarts) and they're comfortable enough - though I'm not sure I could sleep with them.

Or Beyerdynamic DT100s. Replaceable everything and should be around £100. I don't have a pair, but I've used them and they sound good.

[i'd note that I prefer a very flat frequency response, and anything I'd suggest will be pretty flat. If you'd prefer a heavier sound then these suggestions will be a bit boring/disappointing...]

If you were happy with the Sennheisers, then forget about the £100 limit and just buy some more expensive ones with a detachable cable.

I bought my HD 508's about 15 years ago, and have replaced the cable once.

I haven't got a cat though :)

Seem to be discontinued ?

Smear with dog pee?

You've tried this ?

You could consider German Maestro 8.40 headphones - they have an armoured cable...

[German Maestro are pretty good headphones, though. Used to be known as Quart years ago. The 8.35 are very good, comfortable and indestructible, the 200 and 400 range GMPs are among the most comfortable headphones I've used, although perhaps a bit delicate (use elastic bands to support the cups)]

Chunky but as you say, robust.

Or Beyerdynamic DT100s. Replaceable everything and should be around £100. I don't have a pair, but I've used them and they sound good.

[i'd note that I prefer a very flat frequency response, and anything I'd suggest will be pretty flat. If you'd prefer a heavier sound then these suggestions will be a bit boring/disappointing...]

Even chunkier !

I've had many an in-ear headphone throughout the years and Shure SE215 take some beating.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Shure-SE215-Sound-Isolating-Earphones/dp/B0051PM3VS/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1469439394&sr=8-7&keywords=shure+se215+earbuds

I often sleep with them in too - nice and flat.

I remembered that my HTC one (no retired) shipped with in ear phones which I've never used. Actually not bad and will suffice until I get some over ear. I find they tend to fall out.

If comfort in bed/sleeping is important then these might be worth a look. Corded and cordless versions available.

http://www.sleepphones.co.uk/collections/sleepphones

Never used them though, so no idea on quality.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/AcousticSheep-SleepPhones-Ultra-Comfortable-Headband-Headphones/dp/B00U2DDH0A/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1469488917&sr=1-1&keywords=sleepphones

Not great reviews and think the cable is fixed. Thanks though,interesting concept.

These look pretty good.

Just got a pair of Bluedio T2S headphones. They are: cheap (£20), look decent, feel comfortable, sound good, work via bluetooth, work via a cable if you run out of charge. Charged them overnight and I've been using them most of the day. Totally impressed.614HDL-OLqL._SL1100_.jpg

Just got a pair of Bluedio T2S headphones. They are: cheap (£20), look decent, feel comfortable, sound good, work via bluetooth, work via a cable if you run out of charge. Charged them overnight and I've been using them most of the day. Totally impressed.614HDL-OLqL._SL1100_.jpg

Thanks, they look pretty good for a score. I have a similar spec pair made by August. In the end I went for these

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Azatom-Freedom-PRO-HE7-Professional-High-Definition/dp/B00XAN5WZM/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1469489326&sr=1-1&keywords=AZATOM+Freedom+Pro+HE7

Nice sound and they cover the ears entirely. Good solid build also.