House Price Crash Forum

French Meddling At The Channel Again

HOLA441

I suppose no more drinking of French with and no eating of French cheese will have to be the response to the o e Frenchman on passport control.

But J get most of those Brits complaining about the queue are Francophiles who love their French foodstuffs and will never give them up.

HOLA442
HOLA443

I suppose no more drinking of French with and no eating of French cheese will have to be the response to the o e Frenchman on passport control.

But J get most of those Brits complaining about the queue are Francophiles who love their French foodstuffs and will never give them up.

Get a PPL. 50 mins from Essex to Calais and I've never met a Customs officer yet.

HOLA444
HOLA445

I sail over there fairly often and I've yet to deal with any customs or passport bureaucrats - on either side of the water.

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

It was all too predictable, given school holidays. They didn't have to look far for an excuse - Brexit- teach those British a lesson - show them how difficult it'll be to get into France after completion of Article 50. One of the many reasons I voted leave. Yawn.

HOLA4410

It was all too predictable, given school holidays. They didn't have to look far for an excuse - Brexit- teach those British a lesson - show them how difficult it'll be to get into France after completion of Article 50. One of the many reasons I voted leave. Yawn.

And then you all accuse me of conspiracy theories... :rolleyes:;)

Edit: more seriously I think this blockade at the French border is intentional too.

HOLA4411

After Nice the French Government need to reassure the populace that measures are being taken to increase security after coming under fire for security failings, so i guess you will find these increased passport checks at all entry points to France for the foreseable future.

I don't think it's anything to do with Brexit spite!

The French will want their imports on all those lorries on the M20, and their own stranded hauliers back across the channel, if they were letting freight through fasttracked and hassling holidaymakers then i would give credence to brexit spite.

HOLA4412

Remainers majority in 14 hour Dover queues blame Brexit shocker?

Because this never happened before the EU referendum

For example in June 2012

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-18307471

Or maybe April 2015

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/569854/New-passport-checks-10-mile-traffic-jam-Dover

And everyone has apparently forgotten June 2015

http://www.channel4.com/news/ferry-workers-strike-at-calais-could-close-port-for-days

In fact it seems to happen every time a strike, terrorist attack, demonstration, motorway crash, customs computer failure or migrant incursion into a port or channel tunnel coincides with the lemming like stampede of people for Dover the moment there is a British bank holiday or the schools break up for summer. You would think people would learn to steer clear of the place at these times or choose a different route out of the UK but apparently most prefer to sit in traffic jams for days on end

HOLA4413

I was overjoyed when kent police announced that they were letting lorries & cars through to the port at a ratio of 20 to 1 in favour of vehicles on the M20.

i.e all those who tried to be clever and gridlocked half of kent trying to bypass the M20 got to wait the longest.

HOLA4414

Because this never happened before the EU referendum

For example in June 2012

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-18307471

Or maybe April 2015

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/569854/New-passport-checks-10-mile-traffic-jam-Dover

In fact it seems to happen every time a strike, terrorist attack, demonstration, motorway crash, customs computer failure or migrant incursion into a port or channel tunnel coincides with the lemming like stampede of people for Dover the moment there is a British bank holiday or the schools break up for summer. You would think people would learn to steer clear of the place at these times or choose a different route but apparently most prefer to sit in traffic jams for days on end

+1.

I never plan travel for the first few days of summer holidays. Why on earth would any sane person do that?

HOLA4415

It is Britain's misfortune to have France as its closest access to the continent of Europe and beyond. Essentially, it is due to this unfriendly nation that we looked to the seas and the wider world beyond.

Napoleon tried to blockade Britain, as did the German-Franco alliance in the second world war - ultimately doomed to failure as the cracks in their regimes became apparent just as it will with the petty Hollande-Juncker access.

this could end up being a most spectacular out-flanking feck-up by france.

if indeed someone is using the hitler playbook to use the immigrants as a proxy blockade, when it starts to get a bit rough and the mad mullahs navy starts to steam through the med and re-capture all the old turf the ottomans used to occupy, southern france will badly need an escape route....and find one of the best ones blocked off...by both the british(using a lot of concrete ,electrified fences and nerve gas booby traps inside the tunnel), and their recent immigrants, parked hopelessly outside the french side of the tunnel and the ports)

HOLA4416

And then you all accuse me of conspiracy theories... :rolleyes:;)

Edit: more seriously I think this blockade at the French border is intentional too.

I'm right there with you in the conspiracy theory stakes, big bird.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421

"Meddling at the Channel"? Isn't it more a case of "Taking back control of their borders"?

No.

If you are going to increase security by lengthening entry checks, and I agree with that, then you staff it up proportionately.

Unless you deliberately want to cause problems. Which they do.

Archived