House Price Crash Forum

New Year's Vi Entertainment

HOLA441

"House price rally defies the huffers and puffers".....Gabriel Rozenberg / Times

PREDICTIONS of a property slowdown have faded away, with analysts almost united today in declaring house prices to be on the rise again

Oh really? Which analysts are these?

A report today from Hometrack claims that house prices are rising for the first time in 18 months, with prices 0.1 per cent higher in December.

Wow!!!!!! 0.1% Please say again. NOUGHT POINT ONE PERCENT you say? Gosh. Well in that case BUY BUY BUY. But wait....allowing for COMPLETIONS, couldn't that swing anywhere.....could even be NEGATIVE....could be sample errors....could be pure speculation. Oh no, how silly of me....this is THE TIMES and HOMETRACK......completely independent of course. How dare I suggest otherwise.

The significance of the announcement is that Hometrack has been the most gloomy of all the house price monitors over the past year. With today’s report, all the indicators are pointing in the same direction: up.

Oh what a relief that is! But tell me, where are "all the indicators". You seem to have forgotten to tell us where all these great indicators are? Oh....don't worry...I believe implicitly everything you say. How cheeky of me to even think otherwise.

Figures from the Nationwide and Halifax, the mortgage lenders whose reports are seen as among the most authoritative,

Ha ha ha ha ha ha!!! Just like they were in 1990 when despite subsequent drops of 40% they predicted.....well I never.....rises!!! Yes you can RELY on the Nationwide and Halipratts....after all they are entirely independent and of course have NO vested interest other than telling the truth. Just like the TIMES!!

Halifax is more bullish, recording a 4.5 per cent rise in the year to November, after a year in which falls recorded early in the year have been counterbalanced by a buoyant performance since August.

....funny I distinctly recall exactly the same thing in 1991.....after prices had ALREADY lost 10%. But don't let that put you off. You can always treat anything the Halifax says as GOSPEL TRUTH. Oh how good to have FAITH!

But both are roughly comparable as they are wellestablished studies that measure prices at the mortgage approvals stage.

Oh well that's alright then. After all we don't want silly figures telling us the FINAL COMPLETION, EXCHANGE OF CONTRACT prices do we....no much better to rely on figures before the actual sale. So much more reliable!

The overall picture has now become fairly clear.

Yes yes....very clear. I believe you.

Capital Economics announced a “forecast change”: noting the lack of a sustained fall in house prices in 2005, they now predict house prices to drop by just 2 per cent in both 2006 and 2007.

Oh dear. Hang on a minute. You just published a sensational rise of NOUGHT POINT ONE PERCENT. But now apparently there is a nasty, silly prediction of a tiny 2 percent fall....per year. Let's take no notice shall we. After all a 0.1% gain is much bigger than an insignificant fall of a total of 4%. Hardly worth even bothering about, despite the predicted fall being....let's see.....FORTY TIMES the celebrated gain claimed. Let's not argue about trivial things like this. We'll stick with the 0.1% apocalyptic rise....ok? Fine!

A drop of 5 per cent in prices in the next two years would be unwelcome, but would not have a deep impact. This is the way the great house price crash that never was has ended: not with a bang but a whimper.

Oh...thank you....thank you. I can now sleep easy. Oh what a wonderful year ahead. I can now add another 40 BTL apartments to my already swelling portfolio. And when I come to cash it all in I can thank the Times and its sharp, cutting edge JOURNALISM for this virtual tip which will enhance my substantial fortune made from buying over 100 off-plan flats and already the rents are nearly covering 50% of my monthly mortgage payments....a wise and canny investment if you ask me.

Gabriel Rozenberg is now appearing at the Sidcup Hippodrome as the dame in the popular panto: "Fill my Boots" also starring Jeff Smarm from Foxtons, Tony Spiv from RICS, and the chorus of Surrey's shared ownership dept at Dorking Playhouse. Tickets 0.1 pence (but hurry....tickets are rising fast...buy now to avoid disappointment).

VP

Edited by VacantPossession

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

I bet your bear take on this story won't get moderated away like my post of this story did this morning.

I'm sorry to hear that TTRTR. If your post was not personally insulting, was in the public interest and did not contain disgusting or violent language I stand up for your right to publish anything you wish. Unfortunately, not knowing what you wrote it is hard to comment further.

VP

HOLA446

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/ind...showtopic=21139

I reposted it minutes later & got a PM from the moderator explaining why it was moderated. See my original post and see the PM in post 2 on the thread avove. I bet they won't have the faintest inkling to moderate your post even though the same reason would apply.

Edited by Time to raise the rents.

HOLA447
Guest The_Oldie

I bet your bear take on this story won't get moderated away like my post of this story did this morning.

Looks like you're getting a bit desperate TTRTR. That's twice today you've had a dig at the moderators....

Well whoever the VERY KEEN moderator is, I don't think you had any reason at all to delete this topic. Your keeness to censor shows your keeness to keep this forum biased to your opinion.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2-1960912,00.html

If you look in the blog, you will notice that Webmaster has put up the very article that you accused the moderators of censoring, hardly an act of censorship or bias!

HOLA448

Looks like you're getting a bit desperate TTRTR. That's twice today you've had a dig at the moderators....

If you look in the blog, you will notice that Webmaster has put up the very article that you accused the moderators of censoring, hardly an act of censorship or bias!

Well why isn't this thread being shifted off somewhere?

Mine was a bullish take on the same story. That is the only difference.

HOLA449

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/ind...showtopic=21139

I reposted it minutes later & got a PM from the moderator explaining why it was moderated. See my original post and see the PM in post 2 on the thread avove. I bet they won't have the faintest inkling to moderate your post even though the same reason would apply.

Well, to be fair TTRTR your post appears to have been moved, not censored. And there were other Bootle threads before, which I suppose the mods reckon you could have tagged on the end of. The Times article is a new thread and not based in the main on a Bootle announcement but a broader subject. If the mods wish to tag it onto another thread they are welcome but I can't find another thread on this subject.

VP

Edited by VacantPossession

HOLA4410

Well, to be fair TTRTR your post appears to have been moved, not censored. And there were other Bootle threads before, which I suppose the mods reckon you could have tagged on the end of. The Times article is a new thread. If the mods wish to tag it onto another thread they are welcome but I can't find another thread on this subject.

VP

It was nothing to do with Roger B or Hometrack, it was the story that I was bringing to the forum. As you correctly point out, there was no post of this story prior to mine.

The mods are keen indeed with The Oldie here to let me know I'm being watched.......

HOLA4411

It was nothing to do with Roger B or Hometrack, it was the story that I was bringing to the forum. As you correctly point out, there was no post of this story prior to mine.

The mods are keen indeed with The Oldie here to let me know I'm being watched.......

Sounds a bit like a conspiracy theory.

:rolleyes:

HOLA4412
Guest The_Oldie

You had a dig at the moderation of this site, making an accusation of censorship and bias. Although I did not see the thread that you are wittering on about, I take exception to your accusations; simple as that.

HOLA4413

I'm interested in this.

There have been several occasions where it has been claimed, by moderators, that certain bull members have posted under multiple identities. Also many occasions when a member will comment that their post has been deleted or moved.

Now I know sh*t about technology and forum hosting and suchlike, but so long as we don't offend any particular group of people, can we not post what we think?

HOLA4414
Guest The_Oldie

I'm interested in this.

There have been several occasions where it has been claimed, by moderators, that certain bull members have posted under multiple identities. Also many occasions when a member will comment that their post has been deleted or moved.

Now I know sh*t about technology and forum hosting and suchlike, but so long as we don't offend any particular group of people, can we not post what we think?

This site provides information and to a certain degree support to those who doubt the published figures and spin being reported by the VIs and the popular press.

We know for a fact that certain "members" are registered, by individuals or organisations, with the sole intention of disrupting and discrediting this site. We will not tolerate commercial organisations registering multiple identities in an attempt to perpetuate lies, propaganda and spin.

We have a number of genuine bulls who post her as they enjoy genuine debate and they are most welcome.

HOLA4415

You had a dig at the moderation of this site, making an accusation of censorship and bias. Although I did not see the thread that you are wittering on about, I take exception to your accusations; simple as that.

Well I'm sorry you feel that way, but I felt it was pretty quick when you appeared on this thread straight after I complained about my post being moderated yesterday morning.

As I already said, this thread is a post on the same article. If the moderators reason for moving my post was ganuine (rather than based on their own opinion & desire to remove or in this case reduce the number of posts of bullish articles) then this one would have been shifted too.

So I think my comments help to show that the moderators here aren't only interested in dealing with offensive language and treatment of other people, they're also interested in keeping the sites contents to conform to the HPC myth as much as possible.

I'm not here 24 hours a day (despite popular belief), so I have no idea how many other threads appear and are deleted or moved away by moderators through the day. But I am suspicious that quite a few are moved or taken away for no good reason.

HOLA4416
Guest The_Oldie

Well I'm sorry you feel that way, but I felt it was pretty quick when you appeared on this thread straight after I complained about my post being moderated yesterday morning.

As I already said, this thread is a post on the same article. If the moderators reason for moving my post was ganuine (rather than based on their own opinion & desire to remove or in this case reduce the number of posts of bullish articles) then this one would have been shifted too.

So I think my comments help to show that the moderators here aren't only interested in dealing with offensive language and treatment of other people, they're also interested in keeping the sites contents to conform to the HPC myth as much as possible.

I'm not here 24 hours a day (despite popular belief), so I have no idea how many other threads appear and are deleted or moved away by moderators through the day. But I am suspicious that quite a few are moved or taken away for no good reason.

Rubbish! The moderator concerned took the trouble to send you a PM explaining his actions.

As I said before, if we were trying to censor articles, we would surely not have posted the very same article in the blog, would we!

HOLA4417

Rubbish! The moderator concerned took the trouble to send you a PM explaining his actions.

As I said before, if we were trying to censor articles, we would surely not have posted the very same article in the blog, would we!

I didn't accuse anyone of censoring my thread on this occasion, just of treating a bullish tone (by shifting mine away) on the same article differently from a bearish tone (by leaving it alone).

Are you saying that didn't happen?

HOLA4418
Guest The_Oldie

I didn't accuse anyone of censoring my thread on this occasion, just of treating a bullish tone (by shifting mine away) on the same article differently from a bearish tone (by leaving it alone).

Are you saying that didn't happen?

You most certainly did make an accusation of censorship. You seem to have conveniently forgotten, so I'll refresh your memory.

Well whoever the VERY KEEN moderator is, I don't think you had any reason at all to delete this topic. Your keeness to censor shows your keeness to keep this forum biased to your opinion.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2-1960912,00.html

Can we now please let the matter rest.

HOLA4419

"House price rally defies the huffers and puffers".....Gabriel Rozenberg / Times

PREDICTIONS of a property slowdown have faded away, with analysts almost united today in declaring house prices to be on the rise again

Gabriel Rozenberg is now appearing at the Sidcup Hippodrome as the dame in the popular panto: "Fill my Boots" also starring Jeff Smarm from Foxtons, Tony Spiv from RICS, and the chorus of Surrey's shared ownership dept at Dorking Playhouse. Tickets 0.1 pence (but hurry....tickets are rising fast...buy now to avoid disappointment).

VP

HE'S BEHIND YOU! :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
Guest Time 2 raise Interest Rates

Oh really? Which analysts are these?

A report today from Hometrack claims that house prices are rising for the first time in 18 months, with prices 0.1 per cent higher in December.

Wow!!!!!! 0.1% Please say again. NOUGHT POINT ONE PERCENT you say? Gosh. Well in that case BUY BUY BUY. But wait....allowing for COMPLETIONS, couldn't that swing anywhere.....could even be NEGATIVE....could be sample errors....could be pure speculation. Oh no, how silly of me....this is THE TIMES and HOMETRACK......completely independent of course. How dare I suggest otherwise.

The significance of the announcement is that Hometrack has been the most gloomy of all the house price monitors over the past year. With today’s report, all the indicators are pointing in the same direction: up.

Oh what a relief that is! But tell me, where are "all the indicators". You seem to have forgotten to tell us where all these great indicators are? Oh....don't worry...I believe implicitly everything you say. How cheeky of me to even think otherwise.

Figures from the Nationwide and Halifax, the mortgage lenders whose reports are seen as among the most authoritative,

Ha ha ha ha ha ha!!! Just like they were in 1990 when despite subsequent drops of 40% they predicted.....well I never.....rises!!! Yes you can RELY on the Nationwide and Halipratts....after all they are entirely independent and of course have NO vested interest other than telling the truth. Just like the TIMES!!

Halifax is more bullish, recording a 4.5 per cent rise in the year to November, after a year in which falls recorded early in the year have been counterbalanced by a buoyant performance since August.

....funny I distinctly recall exactly the same thing in 1991.....after prices had ALREADY lost 10%. But don't let that put you off. You can always treat anything the Halifax says as GOSPEL TRUTH. Oh how good to have FAITH!

But both are roughly comparable as they are wellestablished studies that measure prices at the mortgage approvals stage.

Oh well that's alright then. After all we don't want silly figures telling us the FINAL COMPLETION, EXCHANGE OF CONTRACT prices do we....no much better to rely on figures before the actual sale. So much more reliable!

The overall picture has now become fairly clear.

Yes yes....very clear. I believe you.

Capital Economics announced a “forecast change”: noting the lack of a sustained fall in house prices in 2005, they now predict house prices to drop by just 2 per cent in both 2006 and 2007.

Oh dear. Hang on a minute. You just published a sensational rise of NOUGHT POINT ONE PERCENT. But now apparently there is a nasty, silly prediction of a tiny 2 percent fall....per year. Let's take no notice shall we. After all a 0.1% gain is much bigger than an insignificant fall of a total of 4%. Hardly worth even bothering about, despite the predicted fall being....let's see.....FORTY TIMES the celebrated gain claimed. Let's not argue about trivial things like this. We'll stick with the 0.1% apocalyptic rise....ok? Fine!

A drop of 5 per cent in prices in the next two years would be unwelcome, but would not have a deep impact. This is the way the great house price crash that never was has ended: not with a bang but a whimper.

Oh...thank you....thank you. I can now sleep easy. Oh what a wonderful year ahead. I can now add another 40 BTL apartments to my already swelling portfolio. And when I come to cash it all in I can thank the Times and its sharp, cutting edge JOURNALISM for this virtual tip which will enhance my substantial fortune made from buying over 100 off-plan flats and already the rents are nearly covering 50% of my monthly mortgage payments....a wise and canny investment if you ask me.

VP

Nice post, VP. I don't see the Times mentioning how risky btl's becoming. Going on

Hometracks average price, if you had a portfolio of 5 btls since June '04 you would

be making a loss of £34,000, excluding voids, maintenance and other costs.

Hometrack average house price June'04 £167,700.

Hometrack average house price Dec '05 £160,900. £6,800 x 5 = £34,000

I'm glad I haven't got any. It's a mug's game.

HOLA4422
Guest The_Oldie

You didn't answer my question.

Since the moderator in question explained to you why he moved your post, it would seem to be obvious that the post was moved.

I have neither the time nor the inclination to further argue the toss with you on this matter.

HOLA4423
Guest Charlie The Tramp

If I believed for one minute that was true TTRTR I can assure you I would not act as a moderator on this Forum. It has opened my eyes the past few months what I observe as a moderator I did not notice as a poster. We both know each other very well as old hands on this forum and you may well ask why my stance as a mortgage free OO the past 25 years makes me a realist but I am sure you know the reason why by all my past posts. There am I about to lose thousands in the next few years and not at least bothered, it will not be such a shock for me as to those who now have their heads buried in the sand. I am already preparing to make good my losses by other gains so I will be returning to a neutral rather than a loss position.

HOLA4424

I really think all these sorts of "it never happened" type articles are just this year's amusing take on the usual review-of-the-year stuff made up for us to get misty eyed over as we sip a glass of whisky at 11:30 on 31st December.

Let's get real here for a moment. We're seeing reports of a high street slow down like we've never seen. We've seen high street chains go bust in the run up to Christmas. We've seen HPI crash from 20% plus a year to a rather dubious small single figure, although there are signs that the figures themselves are not quite what they seem, and don't tie in with the anecdotals of large drops in the true price of a house.

But the main thing is in my opinion, that we are merely at the start of this. There is absolutely no good reason to predict a turn around, other than some rather dodgy analysis of some rather dodgy indexes. Even the public sector is now starting to moan about recruitment freezes and redundancy programmes. Where, pray tell me, is the driver for any inflation in the already over priced housing markey? We haven't had time for the high street shut-down to feed through to job losses. We haven't then had time for those job losses which are in the post to feed through to spending power and sentiment. And we haven't had time for the cost of fuel to feed through to spending power or the cost of goods (remember, it isn't just going to be £6 on the monthly gas bill, it is going to be a cost layered on top of just about everything we buy).

In my opinion, things are just getting going. I am really weary of all this newspaper articles and indeed posts on this site along the lines of "it didn't happen then". HPI crashed from 20% plus to zero in about 18 months. Nothing that I can see or that anyone who posts this sort of thing can point to has improved in the economy to drive this supposed turn around. It all just seems to be numerology and some sort of New Year craziness that is creating false optimism in those who think house prices will rise again.

HOLA4425