House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

frozen_out

The Ekranoplan

I came across these today after a friend of mine mentioned them, never heard of the before but I guessed there maybe someone on here who might be knowledgeable.

Basically Soviet developed aircraft that utilise the ground effect to fly huge loads at high speed a few feet off the ground. Some of the designs are astounding. Like no other craft I've ever seen.

Well worth checking out if you're into engineering type stuff.

Known as the Caspian Sea Monster. I remember seeing a documentary about them many years ago. Definitely cool.

Edit to add

There is a fascinating documentary online somewhere about it. It scared the bejesus out of NATO when satellite images first got hold of it.

However, it's engines basically corroded due to salt and it was only really viable on days when seas were as flat as a pancake.

The soviets had a specific military requirement for crossing the Caspian at speed (and possibly the Black sea - but less talk of that side of things). Hence the Ekranoplan.

Not really very good for much else.

Well, they could be good for other purposes, but they require fairly calm waters, require more fuel than jet aircraft, can only really fly over water, etc.

There is a fascinating documentary online somewhere about it. It scared the bejesus out of NATO when satellite images first got hold of it.

However, it's engines basically corroded due to salt and it was only really viable on days when seas were as flat as a pancake.

A slight flaw......

Whenever I've seen docs on them it's a fascinating idea but with serious flaws in its usability.

... it was only really viable on days when seas were as flat as a pancake.

More to the point you're only likely to get those kind of conditions on relatively small bodies of water (e.g. The Med), but how often are you really going to need to shift a large load at high speeds over a relatively short distance

the funny thing is that before this thread today, there are at least 8 previous mentions of ekranoplans in off topic

Apologies, I don't carry the OT database in my head ;)

I've got an ekranoplan razor.

And why not? It's a cool word. Given that its meant to fly just off the surface though I can't see it being a particularly close shave. On the other hand I'm sure your grandad used one and you can get 100 blades, some high quality soap and a badger hair brush for a fiver.

A slight flaw......

Whenever I've seen docs on them it's a fascinating idea but with serious flaws in its usability.

How often is the Caspian Sea choppy enough to prevent them? Was it perfectly usable for the very specific location it was built for?

How often is the Caspian Sea choppy enough to prevent them? Was it perfectly usable for the very specific location it was built for?

The Caspian Sea Monster was lost in an acccident circa 1990.

As for the Black Sea,there is a huge Ekranoplan decaying in a dockyard on it's shores.

the funny thing is that before this thread today, there are at least 8 previous mentions of ekranoplans in off topic

This reminds me, isn't it about time for my annual thread about realising someone pinched my Avatar and used it on another forum?

They are still working on Ekranoplans at the moment and there are actually small working versions in use.

China is reportedly very interested as well.