House Price Crash Forum

Why Do People Still Have Faith In Politics?

canbuywontbuy

Gues so, at the end of a process, but does not work unless there is a real alternative to vote for. Putting non of the above gets old really quick

I agree with the first sentence, but not the second. It's an important part of getting to the point of real alternative imho.

.....if you don't like the system change it or get out...applies to most things in life ..... :rolleyes:

You change it by action. Spoiling the vote - and telling people *why* you spoilt the vote, not just on the ballot slip but in wider life is a form of changing the system. But you keep up with your rolled eyes and the generalist one liners. How very enigmatic.

I agree with the first sentence, but not the second. It's an important part of getting to the point of real alternative imho.

You change it by action. Spoiling the vote - and telling people *why* you spoilt the vote, not just on the ballot slip but in wider life is a form of changing the system. But you keep up with your rolled eyes and the generalist one liners. How very enigmatic.

...the only action which counts at the ballot box is the placing of the 'X'..... :rolleyes:

Kind of get what you say and I'm often very tempted by this, but in the end it is just a protest and a fairly ineffectual one to boot. What we need is real change and not just a protest. Don't know where this will come from as over the last 30 years, both main stream parties have just moved their policies closer so that now, whoever one votes for, the outcome is just more of the same old sh*t

...the only action which counts at the ballot box is the placing of the 'X'..... :rolleyes:

You keep the faith. Working well so far isn't it?

The action that counts happens in speaking to people about it on a one to one basis and widening the sphere of their thinking. Putting an X in a box is an explicit approval of their mandate. If their mandate isn't to my taste, why on earth would I do that?

I'm out. You're clearly not a person who actually discusses things on anything more than a glib level.

You keep the faith. Working well so far isn't it?

The action that counts happens in speaking to people about it on a one to one basis and widening the sphere of their thinking. Putting an X in a box is an explicit approval of their mandate. If their mandate isn't to my taste, why on earth would I do that?

I'm out. You're clearly not a person who actually discusses things on anything more than a glib level.

..the action that counts is the ballot box count.....if you do not agree with the democratic process you should seek another country which has a system and ideas which suit you ...seems straight forward to me.... :rolleyes:

..the action that counts is the ballot box count.....if you do not agree with the democratic process you should seek another country which has a system and ideas which suit you ...seems straight forward to me.... :rolleyes:

I'm with FG since a spoilt paper is counted and he has turned out. I've always put a X on the ballot paper over the years but the 2015GE was the closest I've come to spoiling the paper.

No idea why people have faith.

Anyone voting in the last couple of elections is clearly insane, unless they are voting for a joke/protest/strategy etc. Surely nobody actually believes any of the nonsense on BBC/in Papers/coming from the average politician anymore?

Edited by Errol

• "Brexit will happen" (will it?)
Patience..it will happen

:

I still doubt it.

Either there will be technical fudge, "right we left the EU, but still have free movement of goods and people and are still subject to EU legislation." Or it'll be a case of "well that was a bad idea, let's not bother after 14 years of unsuccessful trade negotiations"

• "Brexit will happen" (will it?)
Patience..it will happen

:

I still doubt it.

Either there will be technical fudge, "right we left the EU, but still have free movement of goods and people and are still subject to EU legislation." Or it'll be a case of "well that was a bad idea, let's not bother after 14 years of unsuccessful trade negotiations"

What democratic process ? This one where the party selects the sock puppets that we have to choose between and 35% of the total eligible vote get you 100% of the power ? Nice ! How do you "vote" that out ? I would prefer the libertarian process, the one where national govt is dissolved and all politics is local , and all petty dictators only stuff up their own locality and don't take us all down, but fat chance of that.

Stop being so naive. Oh and we don't do revolution. We are the consummate queuers for heaven's sake , plus we handed in our guns. So we are toothless and powerless.

I still doubt it.

Free movement is not a major issue that can be dealt with in other ways ...just price them out the game

No in or out of work benefit`s

No free health care ....one provider of health insurance the NHS

No free schooling

Everyone are welcome

What democratic process ? This one where the party selects the sock puppets that we have to choose between and 35% of the total eligible vote get you 100% of the power ? Nice ! How do you "vote" that out ? I would prefer the libertarian process, the one where national govt is dissolved and all politics is local , and all petty dictators only stuff up their own locality and don't take us all down, but fat chance of that.

Stop being so naive. Oh and we don't do revolution. We are the consummate queuers for heaven's sake , plus we handed in our guns. So we are toothless and powerless.

...if you don't like the democracy on hand change it ..or emigrate ...covert spoiling of the ballot paper is not positive action .... :rolleyes:

I think the entire political structure needs to change. Someone stated they weren't sure whether the Westminster prime minister system or the presidential system is best - I wonder whether/why we need a man (or woman) at the top at all.

I understand that basically the power of the prime minister is the appointment of the cabinet. As I understand it, that is the sole power of the PM. Not to be taken lightly of course, it is a huge amount of power because a PM will appoint those who agree most with their views, but as I see it, that is the extent of their power, other than a degree of emotional blackmail - the party had better stand behind their PM otherwise they show fragmentation and thus weakness.

I can't remember the name of it, but I read a while back about a decision making structure which is popular among eco communities. Each policy area is handied by a small committee who are voted in. On any policy question, each committee may either reach a unanimus decision, or if not, the question is escalated to the next level of authority. This next level of authority is made up of members of the lower commities, who are voted into that next committee by the members of the lower committee. The same process applies, until eventually, if a policy decision is not unanimously made by a committee somewhere in the hierarchical structure, it gets to the highest committee, which usually consists of a number of members, but could theoretically be a single person.

That person could be what we call the prime minister. In theory, very few decisions would reach that stage where they must mare an executive decision, because it has to have been through many committees, each with members who's views are informed by the aggregate of the committees they represent.

So it's like a pyramid structure, with each node made up of a number of people who have been voted in by the layer below, so those at the top are advised by the widest range of concerns and opinions.

Under a system like this, the PM would be voted in, but not in a single vote from either the electorate or the party, but would achieve that position by agreeing with most people throughout the system, and through a wide range of policy concerns.

I suppose there is reason to have a small flicker of hope and faith with some positive results emerging in the rotten system. At last there was a referendum and a Brexit vote and Dave and George have both gone - but the downside is that their replacements seem to be more of the same and printer Carney is still the governor of the BoE still following policies that the BoE knows don't work except to line their own pockets.

Even this small flicker of hope and faith wouldn't have happened if it hadn't been for UKIP the party for United Kingdom Independence (it's specified in the name so very difficult to renege on) gaining momentum and gaining support.

Edited by billybong

• 1 month later...

I think the issue lies in the media more so that the political system. Both are, of course, flawed, but I think the media makes the political system seem worse than it actually is. I think people are much more moderate and willing to compromise than the media makes it seem.

• 1 month later...

:mellow:I've recently just realised that something very dramatic is going to happen with our political system in Westminster because of Brexit. They are not going to except the results of the referendum, I know that every MP in this country when they start to talk about Brexit , They start with the words "We accept the result of the Referendum " please don't forget what happened in Ireland when the political elite didn't get the answer they were looking for,but here in the UK it's going to go down a bit differently. They are going to use time,deception and deceit and at the end ! alot of arrogance on their part and we, 'the people' will finally see that our so called political representatives work for their own interests and those that they look up to .

The masks they put on and wear every day in front of the public will be ripped from their faces by there own actions and we will see them for what they really are,We the public will then reject the political system as it is, because we will realise that the levers of power work solely for the few at the top of society and the rest of us we're just here to pay the bills for their greed and criminality which for 'them' and only 'them' is perfectly legal behaviour . <_<

Does anyone other than the young have any faith in politics? Not in my experience. I had to laugh at the hopeful young Tories on this forum when Brown was defeated.  Most of them seem to have become more cynical in the intervening years. 

And so it will be with the referendum and its result. Nothing fundamental will change, but it is a fantastic distraction. The equivalent of a political X-factor or a soap for those who consider themselves above the X-factor and soaps. 

Edited by StainlessSteelCat

• 2 weeks later...