House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
rollover

High House Prices Make It Increasingly Difficult To Go It Alone In The Property Market

First-time buyers half as likely to be single as 20 years ago

in 2014-15 just 14% of first-time buyer households were made up of single people, compared with 29% in 1994-95. The change comes despite growth in people living alone, which the Office for National Statistics said accounted for 29% of UK households in 2015. Over the same 20-year period, the share of the market that comprised couples rose from 63% to 80%, and the proportion of couples with children increased from 20% to 31%. The remaining 6% of buyers were loan parents or those buying in larger groups.

I wonder how many FTBers would secretly like to break off their relationship but can't because they'd have to move back into Mum's. I personally know one person who is like this, so there's probably quite a few.

Lets fac e it...they've run out of mugs.

FTBs ( joint or married ) would be insane to pay these prices.

Not only house prices are high, house sizes have halved. prices are effectively 4 times higher.

F**k that

I wonder how many FTBers would secretly like to break off their relationship but can't because they'd have to move back into Mum's. I personally know one person who is like this, so there's probably quite a few.

Have known a few that are stuck living separate lives in a property.....buying has not exactly given people the freedom and choices they expected it to...... ;)

The Guardian has missed the most striking aspect of the drop in single person FTB households - it has occurred over a single decade, and not over twenty years as the article suggests.

Between 1994-95 and 2004-05, the proportion of single person FTB households actually increased, from 29.3% to 31.2%. By 2014-15 it had fallen to 14.1%.

FTB_household_type_EHS_2014-15.gif

DCLG: First time buyers and potential home owners report

in 2014-15 just 14% of first-time buyer households were made up of single people, compared with 29% in 1994-95. The change comes despite growth in people living alone, which the Office for National Statistics said accounted for 29% of UK households in 2015. Over the same 20-year period, the share of the market that comprised couples rose from 63% to 80%, and the proportion of couples with children increased from 20% to 31%. The remaining 6% of buyers were loan parents or those buying in larger groups.

This ties in with this thread saying a FTB nowhas to only save for 19 years to buy into the property ponzi.

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/index.php?/topic/211689-pwc-housing-outlook-report-july-16/

Have known a few that are stuck living separate lives in a property.....buying has not exactly given people the freedom and choices they expected it to...... ;)

Saw a program about people going to mediation ( or some such bollax ) after splitting up....the propert/kids are the main issue.

You could seem some boomers who had paid, say £100K for their house now having to buy out their partner for 200K ( say), just to stay om the house.

There was also 1 couple who had lived with her husband for 1 or 2 years after splitting up.

High house prices are destroying peoples lives.

Saw a program about people going to mediation ( or some such bollax ) after splitting up....the propert/kids are the main issue.

You could seem some boomers who had paid, say £100K for their house now having to buy out their partner for 200K ( say), just to stay om the house.

There was also 1 couple who had lived with her husband for 1 or 2 years after splitting up.

High house prices are destroying peoples lives.

......if one doesn't work and the other doesn't earn enough to buy or buyout......they both go into renting.....when the money runs out, who will pay the rents? ;)

Nice Freudian slip by the Grauniad there.

This ties in with this thread saying a FTB nowhas to only save for 19 years to buy into the property ponzi.

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/index.php?/topic/211689-pwc-housing-outlook-report-july-16/

In London, that rises to 46 years. Start at 20 and you'll have your deposit ready when you're 66. http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/single-people-would-have-to-save-for-nearly-46-years-for-a-mortgage-in-london-study-finds-a6942971.html

More financial pressures on relationships. This isn't what life should be about. It was never about this for millenia.

You mean FTBs who have bought in recent times?

Going onto mortgage, relationships we chose... individual decisions.

There's a limit to how much renter-savers can worry about the choices of other people, theire decisions and their personal relationships.

Is this relationship counselling?

Or would-be FTBs who are renting?

Doesn't make sense to me.

FWIW there's a story on BBC News about a 35 year guy who regrets the tattoos he had over his body when he was 28, if we can find a way to think of him too.

Another in DM who has been cheating on his girlfriend with a string of girls.

Oh and there's one about a couple who've have been FTBs for 4 years and blissfully in love - great life.

Yup. On a related point, I'm a relationship-phobe at the best of times, but I gotta admit the hypothetical housing issue is a factor in the back of my mind. Buying somewhere with someone is a terrifying prospect at these prices if it all goes pear shaped. Even if one party wants to leave, it's nigh on impossible to buy the other one out.

I suppose I need to find myself a rich woman who owns outright and become a 'best of breed' cocklodger like they talk about on mumsnet. I'd be a really good one - happily pay her a market rent for half the place, do all the washing up, cooking and fix stuff (she can pay for the materials), and when the time comes, we can part amicably. Sweet deal.

Yup. On a related point, I'm a relationship-phobe at the best of times, but I gotta admit the hypothetical housing issue is a factor in the back of my mind. Buying somewhere with someone is a terrifying prospect at these prices if it all goes pear shaped. Even if one party wants to leave, it's nigh on impossible to buy the other one out.

I suppose I need to find myself a rich woman who owns outright and become a 'best of breed' cocklodger like they talk about on mumsnet. I'd be a really good one - happily pay her a market rent for half the place, do all the washing up, cooking and fix stuff (she can pay for the materials), and when the time comes, we can part amicably. Sweet deal.

Hehe - ok hehe.

However for the other view some put out there...

With rates floored, I don't know any FTB owners (I know some 5 years in to owning) in situation some hpcers deeply negatively frame worse-case J-Kyle-ing it.

Too often with the frame that society/others should carry reponsibility/others for other people own decisions - including relationships now.

I know FTBs and upsizeds who are commited, married, house prices new peaks, and many with kids. If that changes for some in future (rocky patches with relationships), it's part of life, and some relationships more solid that others.

And even if that were so in some instances (FTBs where one wimply wishes hadn't hooked up and bought and wish could be back with Mum (lucky if got that choice), it's their own life. Is it that absolute need to control other people again? Or wanting a system of all-pervading control with some special ones at the top who decide things for other people?

Also I know renter-saver families of course, just about keeping it all together, despite wanting to buy but only seeing measures to protect HPI, and others telling them about the owners who would suffer in a HPC, and to forget chance of HPC but to keep renting forever. Commitment and young kids.

(And Frugal Git, I did catch your post the other week, about your younger relatives positioning to buy at the moment - I understand their desire to own, and the pressures/sadness vs forever HPI, own choices - but at least they should have some cushion against falling values, with money being advanced to them on good terms,.. if HPC is to happen - market)

This is the crux of it. There is no sleight of hand, no deception. People walk willingly into such things with their eyes open (no excuse if not).

Turns out you made a bad decision? Life lessons are hard sometimes, but you'll surely be more aware of potential downside risks next time. End of story.

+ 1 to both.

The person saying "don't do it" should be the individual considering it, who should be aware that they are fallible and don't always make perfect decisions, and that the amount of money involved is non-trivial and high risk. The only way people can learn these things is by being allowed to wear the consequences of their poor decisions when they make them.

The idea of people as objects with no ability to make choices of their own, of adults who can't be allowed to make their own decisions or take responsibility for their own actions, is dystopian in the extreme. How could a society which regarded people in this manner do anything other than move towards a system of rigorous and all-pervading control over the the populace at large in order to counteract our apparent inability to think for ourselves?