House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
aeh6277

Can Letting Agent/landlord Refuse To Let Me Lock Garage?!

Renting property for a month, LA has been hell to deal with but all seemed well until I requested a key for the garage door as there wasn't one handed over to us when we got the keys.
We have a gardener who lets himself in through the garage (the only way into the back garden other than through the house) at the request of the landlord, however we weren't aware we were not allowed to lock the garage at all.
Our plan was to get the gardeners number, and unlock the garage for him on the days (once every two weeks) that he visits.
The LA has said that the LL explicitly wants the gardener to do the garden, which is fair enough, and that we must leave the garage unlocked at all times to account for this - not fair enough.
As far as I'm concerned, this not only invalidates any insurance we have/the LL has but it also means the garage is not fit for purpose and the contract explicitly states that the LL will let the entire property, including all outbuildings etc. It mentions nothing about the gardener, this has only been verbal.
I'm seriously concerned that not only can we not use the garage at the moment for fear someone will take the contents, but someone could gain access to the back of the property, and we also have no idea who the gardener is or any schedule of when he is supposed to turn up other than "an adhoc basis".
Can they do this? I've spoken to a few people who say I am well within my right to force them to give me a key so I can lock it or change the locks entirely, but I want other opinions.
I also requested the LL direct address and full name which the LA has refused to give me on the basis that the LA is a "managed service and the LL details are strictly confidential" which I also think is complete bull.

Thanks in advance

Note - We have only just realised we do not have a key for the garage as it was not in use until now. My OH is a mechanic and wants to bring home his project car and now can't until it's lockable.

The landlord is handing over possession of the property in exchange for rent.

As a tenant, you have a right to quiet enjoyment of the property to the exclusion of all others. This includes the landlord, agent, gardener etc. Access to the property is by prior arrangement with you only, except in an emergency.

From your description, it seems that the agent is in the wrong here. Take legal advice if they do not reconsider.

The landlord must provide you with an address at which documents can be served. That address can be the letting agent's office. It does not need to be the landlord's residence.

With regards to your second point, a quick Google provides this:

http://www.thetenantsvoice.co.uk/advice_from_us/know-who-the-landlord-is/

You have legal right to your landlord’s name and address

Section 48 of the Landlord and Tenant Act 1987 states that rent is not lawfully due unless the tenant has been given, in writing, an address in England and Wales at which notices can be served.