House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

justthisbloke

Reasons Not To Sell To Webuyanycar?

I've got a ten year old motor that's just clogging up the drive and costing money. So it's got to go.

I know I could maximise cash by "selling privately" - but I'm sure that's a lot of hassle. And the online offer isn't too bad (although I know they'll try and bargain it down on the day).

Is it really worth the hassle of Autotrader or auctions?

I want shot of it within a fortnight as that's when it needs insuring. And in a couple of months, it'll need tax-ing, MOT-ing, and a service.

Sorry wrong board - can someone move to Off Topic!

I've got a ten year old motor that's just clogging up the drive and costing money. So it's got to go.

I know I could maximise cash by "selling privately" - but I'm sure that's a lot of hassle. And the online offer isn't too bad (although I know they'll try and bargain it down on the day).

Is it really worth the hassle of Autotrader or auctions?

I want shot of it within a fortnight as that's when it needs insuring. And in a couple of months, it'll need tax-ing, MOT-ing, and a service.

From the motoring forums I frequent, WBAC seem to stick to their offer if you have described the car fully and honestly.

I've found autotrader to be relatively trouble free.

eBay is more hassle plus you'll get a constant stream of "Hi m8, Will give u 150 and pick up 2day." messages.

I think the main benefit of WBAC is that it's better than a dealer. Look out for the £50 transaction fee they're not up front with, and expect 90% of their initial guaranteed price.

Maybe get the WBAC quote, and try autotrader for a week. If autotrader's no good use WBAC as a fallback?

Whether it's worth the hassle or not depends on how much more you might get and what that means to you, so a very personal decision.

I think on the basis that you want rid of it quickly and you aren't unhappy with the offer then WBAC is probably a good option. I also hear that they stick to their offer if you have described it fairly. There are other similar servies to WBAC too, can't remember any right now but Google is your friend and perhaps you might get slightly more from another one?

Don't WBAC pay commission to their staff based on how much they can shave off the original quote...?

I know that they always used to up their original offer after a few days, if you do it online.

Correct me if i'm wrong but doesnt it need more than 1 months MoT for WBEC to buy it?

What car is it? And where are you? I'm in the market for a new/cheap car

2007 Laguna 1.5Dci Expression 140,000 miles 6 months MOT

WBAC web quote £740 - I expected a transaction fee and the price to be knocked down... probably come out with £600 ish

eBay 7 day no reserve auction and the car sold for £1155 - ebay fees were £30.50 - chap turned up within 3 days and paid cash to take it away

Personally if I was in this situation again then I'd find out how much WBAC were offering and then put that as the starting price on an ebay auction, that way you win either way.

Personally if I was in this situation again then I'd find out how much WBAC were offering and then put that as the starting price on an ebay auction, that way you win either way.

Except when the burly eBayer turns up and offers you £5 for it as you didn't mention the tiny dent on the side...

.....where do all the wbac cars go, who buys them at what price?.........

Want a good car from one careful owner, approach them and offer to buy their car at a few quid more than wbac does.....win, win. ;)

2007 Laguna 1.5Dci Expression 140,000 miles 6 months MOT

[...]

eBay 7 day no reserve auction and the car sold for £1155 - ebay fees were £30.50 - chap turned up within 3 days and paid cash to take it away

Who says the economy is doing badly? Laguna's have a bad reputation in the trade so it looks like you lucked out on that one. :)

.....where do all the wbac cars go, who buys them at what price?.........

As I understand it, if they're any good then used car dealerships sell them, otherwise they go to auction and more likely than not used car stealerships get them, give them a wash and sell them on before closing down and setting up shop elsewhere.

WBAC in my experience dropped the online 'quote' by about 8% on the day - I got a load of guff from the 'dealer' about the market dropping considerably since the quote was made (less than a week before) when I brought mine in, before he had even seen the car, so I wasn't too surprised at the lowball.

Despite that it was still better than the trade-in that the dealer (where I was buying my new car) was offering and I couldn't be bothered to deal with tyre-kickers and time wasters selling it privately so I accepted the offer.

However, if I was to do it again I'd at least try the private sales route first before taking it to WBAC as a final option. As another poster suggested, get an online quote from WBAC and use that minus 5% as your 'bottom line' price when selling. Put it out there on some forums, eBay, Gumtree whatever, for a few weeks and see what offers you get.

Just make sure to get a 'burner' SIM card and email address and don't give away too much personal info in the ad. Also, don't go out of your way to facilitate would-be viewers as many people will mess you around and you will just end up getting annoyed. If people are serious about buying (and have the means) they will view on your terms. Just put it out there and see what happens, in the last resort you can go to WBAC.

Oh, also they want to charge you extra for 'expedited' payment. If you don't want to pay that, takes about 3-4 days to show up in your account, which is a real cheek.

From the motoring forums I frequent, WBAC seem to stick to their offer if you have described the car fully and honestly.

Don't WBAC pay commission to their staff based on how much they can shave off the original quote...?

I know that they always used to up their original offer after a few days, if you do it online.

I'd echo those comments.

Sold a ten year motor to them last year.I have friends who've sold cars privately and the hassle of answering phone calls,staying in for people not to turn up and then checking the wad of £20 notes for fakes.

Mrs Panza got a quote on her old car of £750 from WBAC and then managed to get £950 privately because she's tight.However,it involved yours truly doing a lot of being in and doing test drives.

Some car dealers guarantee to beat webuyanycar.com price in part-exchange. If you're getting another car this is worth considering. Take your webuyanycar.com offer with you to the dealer. It worked for me.

No, this is purely a disposal exercise. We don't need two cars (or one, actually).

All my cars go to scrappies. :blink:

Oi JTB.

Whilst this us not a sales forum I do suggest that you include within one of your posts a quick précis of the car and its price plus your county; just in case any of the regulars wants an ex JTB car.

I don't but somebody might. Just saying.

Oi JTB.

Whilst this us not a sales forum I do suggest that you include within one of your posts a quick précis of the car and its price plus your county; just in case any of the regulars wants an ex JTB car.

I don't but somebody might. Just saying.

Can you imagine trying to negotiate with some frugalista HPC-er?!

Also, without being too untrusting, I'm wary of overlapping real life and HPC life too much. I still remember when there was an utter mentalist roaming these boards. Sure, I could filter for known good eggs (ie most people here[1]) but you're entering into hassle territory.

[1] But I'd worry that Ken bloke would be checking out the supplies in my garage for a post-apocalypse raid. And Erranta would tell me the number plate is a masonic symbol. Eric would sign the paperwork with a great big red blotter. And Venger would demand a discount by quoting a post from circa 2002 in which I'd mentioned starting problems.

Also, without being too untrusting, I'm wary of overlapping real life and HPC life too much. I still remember when there was an utter mentalist roaming these boards. Sure, I could filter for known good eggs (ie most people here[1]) but you're entering into hassle territory.

[1] But I'd worry that Ken bloke would be checking out the supplies in my garage for a post-apocalypse raid. And Erranta would tell me the number plate is a masonic symbol. Eric would sign the paperwork with a great big red blotter. And Venger would demand a discount by quoting a post from circa 2002 in which I'd mentioned starting problems.

:D

I don't actually remember the postings of the utter mentalist of which you speak as I wasn't on this forum then, though I did watch his Youtube channels until they were inevitably closed, but good point.

Injin would try to pay you in Injindollars rather than sterling, arguing that as they are both fiat currencies they are both equally acceptable.

Plus, most on here claim to have never spent more than 17p on anything.

I sold my car to them. They will hammer you on any scratch or dent. Every scratch was like 40-60 minimum and dent the same. They put it all on the screen in front of you and it takes down the total of your quote. Clever trick as it's hard to argue with. My original quote was 4800, they took it down to 3800. I then haggled back to 4300, minus "50 in administration" (of course..). They did quite a bit of hard selling too like "oh yeah this quote of 3800 is only valid as long as you're here, when you leave it's gone and someone has to do it aaaaaall again".

If you need to get shot of a car quickly - yeah do it. But you will get a better price if you wait probably.

(I needed to get shot of it quick as F).