House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bossybabe

Is T'internet Broken?

This morning, I'm having trouble getting on to some web sites: Vodafone Maidenhead, Santander bank, etc. Anyone else experiencing this? Obviously, HPC is fine...

Apparently most of the banks are currently down and go daddys email service is currently kaput

Summats afoot and its not 12 inches!

It seems to be a problem with BT Internet, and specifically their DNS servers. If you have your own router, you can try changing the DNS to use google's servers instead, which is apparently helping some people. I have the delightful Homehub, designed to make my life so easy that I'm not allowed to worry my pretty little head about scary tech stuff, and am not allowed to change them.

Not impressed, BT. New router will be on order just as soon as I can get to a website that will sell me one.

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2016/07/bt-network-fault-affecting-uk-internet-broadband-services.html

UPDATE 11:07am

A private report from TeleCity, which was sent to certain providers earlier today and seen by ISPreview.co.uk, suggests that there was a power failure with one of their Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS) systems at 8/9 Harbour Exchange (LD8) in London.

The fault hit a key router (edge4-tch), although this was technically resolved at 9:15am. However the knock-on impact for ISPs like BT and their clients (consumers, businesses and other ISPs etc.) can often take a little bit longer to resolve (computer networks are complicated animals).

Connections should be slowly getting back to normal.

The uninterruptible power supply was interrupted....

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

We are all so vulnerable to far more things that we used to be......have become dependent on technology that at a flick of a switch will remove, contact, finance, funding, communication, transport.......could we survive without it?.... ;)

These days most server equipment will automatically power itself down when the room temperature rises above 30 degrees.

When planning a server room there are two possible approaches:

1) carefully work out the heat and power requirements of the equipment and make sure it stays within the capabilities of the room and air con that you have.

2) Just keep adding new servers, switches and routers, whatever will fit in the racks until one hot summers day they all 'mysteriously' turn themselves off.

When they 'modernised' Leeds-York railway line some years ago, they cut the lines down from 2 to 1 with a passing point. No end of problems since. As it all relies on everyone running on time, which when the train is going from Edinburgh to Plymouth (from memory) is a tall order for BR.

When was that? Last time I went there it was still 2, and a fairly major line (unless you're talking via Harrogate?)