House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
yokel

New Room Rental Tenant Part Way Through Tenancy

Its been a while since I asked advice on here but hope someone can help.

A relative took a room in a shared house. There is a lead tenant and one more fairly recent one. The relative moved in, paid the outgoing tenant their share of the deposit and the tds scheme records were amended. This was all in advance of any contracts being signed by the relative or the ll or la.

When the contract was sent to be signed it was with a very out of date inventory (over 3 years) - and it didn't reflect the current state of the property. My relative amended the inventory to bring it up to date and signed that, and the contract with riders that they would only accept liability for losses and damage from when they moved in.

The LA /LL are playing hardball and threatening eviction of all tenants within 24 hours if my relative doesn't sign the old inventory and an unamended contract. The other tenants had been scared into signing and are now pressurising my relative to do the same as they are desparate to not get evicted.

So the questions are:

- Can an LA/LL legally insist on a contract tied to an inaccurate inventory?

-Can they evict at very short notice?

-If they try to evict, what legal process needs to be gone through in terms of paperwork, notice etc?

Thanks in advance

y

Its been a while since I asked advice on here but hope someone can help.

A relative took a room in a shared house. There is a lead tenant and one more fairly recent one. The relative moved in, paid the outgoing tenant their share of the deposit and the tds scheme records were amended. This was all in advance of any contracts being signed by the relative or the ll or la.

When the contract was sent to be signed it was with a very out of date inventory (over 3 years) - and it didn't reflect the current state of the property. My relative amended the inventory to bring it up to date and signed that, and the contract with riders that they would only accept liability for losses and damage from when they moved in.

The LA /LL are playing hardball and threatening eviction of all tenants within 24 hours if my relative doesn't sign the old inventory and an unamended contract. The other tenants had been scared into signing and are now pressurising my relative to do the same as they are desparate to not get evicted.

So the questions are:

- Can an LA/LL legally insist on a contract tied to an inaccurate inventory?

-Can they evict at very short notice?

-If they try to evict, what legal process needs to be gone through in terms of paperwork, notice etc?

Thanks in advance

y

So long as the landlord is not living in the property, then this would surely count as an AST. 6 month minimum period and a 2 month notice period. If the person has already moved in, and things have been agreed, then I would imagine that the contract has been implied, even if not signed. They certainly can't be kicked out within 24hrs unless they are lodgers rather

than tenants, and it doesn't sounds like that.

This is only speculation. They probably need advice on this - maybe Shelter?

Edited by Breowan