House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
gruffydd

Media Desperados

Oh Dear - they really are getting desparate - just read that there was shopping madness in some shops yesterday, with 17% more visitors to some shopping centres. What exactly is 'shopping madness' ?The 'powers that be' must really be in a state of panic if this is the crud they're coming out with. As for the BBC reporting of the Hometrack figures this morning - let's put it this way - they operate very closely with the gov on 'security' matters, so it's pretty inevitable that they'll support governmental economic policy, etc.

Oh Dear - they really are getting desparate - just read that there was shopping madness in some shops yesterday, with 17% more visitors to some shopping centres. What exactly is 'shopping madness' ?The 'powers that be' must really be in a state of panic if this is the crud they're coming out with. As for the BBC reporting of the Hometrack figures this morning - let's put it this way - they operate very closely with the gov on 'security' matters, so it's pretty inevitable that they'll support governmental economic policy, etc.

Droves of morons buying crap from Next doesn't exactly indicate a recovery in the economy

Guest Bart of Darkness

"Sales at Fever Pitch" according to the front cover of today's Sheffield Star. Scuffles in the queues apparently as people battle tooth and nail for dreadful tat.

http://www.sheffweb.co.uk/ViewArticle2.asp...ticleID=1296550

And the early birds waiting in the car park at 3am were allowed to wait in the warmth of the centre thanks to kind-hearted centre staff.

Doing their bit for Care in the Community more like. :rolleyes:

Can't speak for Meadowhell but the city centre today was pretty calm and orderly.

Edited by Bart of Darkness

I just bought a PS2 controller for £7...

its the sales... :)

just because we don't have houses does not mean we are skint..

Just that so many people have houses and are skint that they can't afford to pay full prices for anything else....

which means great sales..

which means I can now use a working controller again..

yippeee...:)

grin people.. its all Shi*s and giggles

'shopping madness'

i have seen this before in medical reference videos.

the victim of 'shopping madness' is initialy a sane human being, who undergoes some kind of financial trauma such as losing a partner to someone else with a nicer car/house/speedboat.

the condition can also be accelerated by a fixation with glittery pulp tv and the visual stimuli of glossy magazines such as FM, MAXIM and DANDY.

sufferers have an uncontrollable urge to be drawn to large outer suburbia shopping centres, in particular the chlorine blue waterfalls and the pretzel barrows. once in the centre they wander aimlessly about the glass windows buying huge amounts of ill fitting badly though out clothes and or chrome gadets.

key signs to look for are:

the victim carries no cash at all.

carries more than 4 store bags with rope handles

will often attend up to 10 miles away wearing no coat

frequent pointless use of mobile phone

avoidance to all cash machines.

hurries speedily up escalator stairs.

takes whole family with them as logistical support.

eats fast food very slowly in the new, new oleans food mall

sense of direction begins to fail - cant find point of original entry.

halucinations - see's mirage of an empty spot close to entrance for 40mins.

often will throw money into shallow blue tiled chlorine wishing 'wells'

will walk slowly - then without warning stop dead and pause for no reason.

a lack of ability to judge size or height.

"Sales at Fever Pitch" according to the front cover of today's Sheffield Star. Scuffles in the queues apparently as people battle tooth and nail for dreadful tat.

http://www.sheffweb.co.uk/ViewArticle2.asp...ticleID=1296550

Doing their bit for Care in the Community more like. :rolleyes:

Can't speak for Meadowhell but the city centre today was pretty calm and orderly.

Took my significant other to the cinema at Meadowhell last night, and had a wander round afterwards (twas opne until 10). The place was more or less deserted but it did have the dazed and dishevelled look of somewhere that had been recently attacked by a horde of morons ravenous for crap and tat.

What this suggests to me is that these people are (relatively) small in number, i.e. are an increasingly hardcore but marginal group of aggressive shoppers. These feverish episodes seem to be quite short-lived, although undoubtedly compressed.

It bothers me that people would waste their Christmasses on such activities. Do they love material acquisition more than the companionship of friends and family? Silly question! And what of the poor #4.50/hr bleeders preparing the shelves on 25/26 December??

Modern society is clearly doomed. At least 40% of the shops in Meadowhell were shoe shops. :blink:

worth being a bit mindful of these "fever pitch" headlines.

looks a lot like the "miss the boat" headlines for property.

as for 17% up,they had an extra day to shop this year as xmas was on sunday!!

methinks I spot a bit of emotional blackmail afoot!

Guest Bart of Darkness

Must have been a slow news day as well (it was front page, banner headlines etc.).

The city centre looked pretty tame. I put it down to people being back at work although M&S was moderately busy.

Er, surely that's 95% of the UK population?

VP

i have seen this before in medical reference videos.

the victim of 'shopping madness' is initialy a sane human being, who undergoes some kind of financial trauma such as losing a partner to someone else with a nicer car/house/speedboat.

the condition can also be accelerated by a fixation with glittery pulp tv and the visual stimuli of glossy magazines such as FM, MAXIM and DANDY.

sufferers have an uncontrollable urge to be drawn to large outer suburbia shopping centres, in particular the chlorine blue waterfalls and the pretzel barrows. once in the centre they wander aimlessly about the glass windows buying huge amounts of ill fitting badly though out clothes and or chrome gadets.

Fred, haven't laughed so much for a long time, do love your posts.

All this hype over boxing day sales has pushed me to de-lurk (only taken about a year!). Many thanks to all HPCers for making this forum such a great read.

I've dug out what the the Aberdeen Press and Journal has had to report about their Boxing Day sales for the last five years (representative of local press ). I think its fair to say there is a slight pattern.

By the time the Bon Accord Centre opened at 11am more than 200 bargain-hunters were queueing.

Some traders reported their best-ever sales opening day. Manager Gary Kelway said: "This is definitely the busiest I've seen it.”

Aileen Adam, Bon Accord Centre duty manager, today said: "We have had a very good December and are delighted with the way things have gone.

"Our Boxing Day was one of the best and busiest we have ever had".

The Bon Accord Centre, Aberdeen, also reported 60,000 customers on Boxing Day, up 15,000 on last year.

The Bon Accord Centre's duty manager, Alan Sinclair, said: "It is very busy. I thought most people might have stayed at home eating their turkey, but obviously they have decided to come into town for the sales. DFS manager Aeneas Bremner said: "The number of shoppers certainly looks more encouraging than last year."

The Bon Accord Centre got its festive sales under way at 10am…..

A spokeswoman for the centre said that the wintry weather had not deterred shoppers.

"Sales also seem to be doing very well and, judging by the amount of shopping bags people are carrying around, they are spending more than usual.

The operations manager for the Bon Accord Centre, Frank Sutherland, said that, last December, more than 2.3million people had walked through their doors. He could confidently predict that figure would be exceeded by the end of the week. He said: "It is just pandemonium. "We'll definitely beat last year's figure."

All this hype over boxing day sales has pushed me to de-lurk (only taken about a year!). Many thanks to all HPCers for making this forum such a great read.

I've dug out what the the Aberdeen Press and Journal has had to report about their Boxing Day sales for the last five years (representative of local press ). I think its fair to say there is a slight pattern.

interesting stuff!

To be fair, on R5 earlier, I did catch a discussion whereby it was strongly suggested that footfall may well be up, but that the discounting was so enormous that it was unlikely this would translate into profits.

The obvious soundbite was that "the consumer had won".

as per my note yesterday, footfall in harrogate down - people not spending

I know we didn't! Unless you count cinema tickets, two smoothies, some items from Superdrug. All purchased without recourse to borrowing.

Unlikely to prop up the economy for more than a picosecond, sadly. :huh:

Funny, because just before boxing day footfall was reported down.

I'd agree there because round Miiton Keynes shopping centre on friday, it was quite quiet considering it was the day before xmas eve