House Price Crash Forum
interestrateripoff

Becoming Too Hot To Work

Had a courier driver yesterday (one of the well known, not budget firms) moan that the company had disabled the air con in all vehicles to save fuel. Nice.

Let me guess...the drive avout with their windows open instead.

That'll help their MPG no end.

Cant get anything done because ladies are always trying it on in the office. Thank god Im not the only one.

Edited by 999house

And the replacement window motors must be through the roof if they close the windows every stop.

The driver should sent that Mythbusters episode to the genius head honchos at this delivery company. Windows closed + Air con was the cheaper option*.

* I think :)

The driver should sent that Mythbusters episode to the genius head honchos at this delivery company. Windows closed + Air con was the cheaper option*.

Windows closed, no aircon = cheapest option. Don't give them ideas!

By some margin IIRC.

Windows closed, no aircon = cheapest option. Don't give them ideas!

Ah yes - disable windows also - double savings !!

Many continental cities in countries like France, Italy, Spain, close down for the month of August because of the heat. I can see their point.

so in theory the UK should become an economic powerhouse because its rarely too hot to work here?

You mock, but quite a few historians think our weather is part of the story of this country's success.

Edit: Typo

Edited by spunko2010

Just checked, only 32.2 C in home office, not going to complain as there's railway sleepers out there that need shifting, not today.

Recently worked in basement with poor ventilation. Health and safety was being assessed all ove over the plave, but not one mention of what heat and consequent fatigue could contribute to actual levels of safety no matter what the task.

Edited by onlyme2

I thought robots were going to take 50% of jobs by 2030?

Well, I watched a robot road crew fix the potholes in the road outside my house the other day. OK, it wasn't actually a team of androids - it was a truck with lots of tech that simply drove over the holes, manoeuvred back and forward a bit and drove away leaving a smooth road. In the past it's taken a couple of vehicles, a few men, and a load of equipment.

Well, I watched a robot road crew fix the potholes in the road outside my house the other day. OK, it wasn't actually a team of androids - it was a truck with lots of tech that simply drove over the holes, manoeuvred back and forward a bit and drove away leaving a smooth road. In the past it's taken a couple of vehicles, a few men, and a load of equipment.

The irony here being that pothole work is better done in warmer weather!

Sign of the times though.

Wonder how they disabled the air con? Unless they have access to the vehicle electrical control systems then can't be much more sophisticated than taking out the fuse?

What you ave there is a classic case of micromanagement. First thing to do to save money would be to sack the manager who wasted time and resource on this. It would still take ages to recoup through fuel the cost of all the dicking about involved in this.

What you ave there is a classic case of micromanagement. First thing to do to save money would be to sack the manager who wasted time and resource on this. It would still take ages to recoup through fuel the cost of all the dicking about involved in this.

Spot on, sadly the way most companies are run these days he'll have probably got a bonus for producing an "efficiency saving"....is it any wonder we make next to nothing these days & the economy is in the brown stuff???

Wonder how they disabled the air con? Unless they have access to the vehicle electrical control systems then can't be much more sophisticated than taking out the fuse?

Or all the refrigerant gas :lol: