House Price Crash Forum

Softbank Group To Acquire Arm Holdings

HOLA441
Guest TheBlueCat

Is that Autonomy you're thinking about? That was a hubristic HP trying to play vertical me-too with IBM and Oracle. I don't believe the falling apart was entirely intentional.

ARM is robust: too much substance for that to happen. In the worst case it lives on in all the existing licensees.

Well, in Cambridge terms, all of these at least off the top of my head:

Autonomy (agreed, that was a pile of crud to start with)

Smallworld - bought by GE, now more or less defunct

CIS - bought by Prime, now long gone

IXI - bought and rendered down by IBM

Geneva - bought by Convergys, now mostly gone

I could likely come up with 10 more if I spent some time thinking about it. If ARM survives, it really will be the exception.

Edited by TheBlueCat

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

Well, in Cambridge terms, all of these at least off the top of mead:

Autonomy (agreed, that was a pile of crud to start with)

Smallworld - bought by GE, now more or less defunct

CIS - bought by Prime, now long gone

IXI - bought and rendered down by IBM

Geneva - bought by Convergys, now mostly gone

I could likely come up with 10 more if I spent some time thinking about it. If ARM survives, it really will be the exception.

PRIME. Theres an old name!

Used to saturatesome Unis. Died out faster than dinosaurs.

I was glad merkins bought Automony. Just shows that its not just brits who buy lemins - see Marconi.

HOLA443
  • 2 weeks later...
HOLA444
HOLA445

The takeover scheme is going out to shareholders this week. For the long-term future of ARM should I vote for or against?

Ashamed to say I sold mine. For a few hundred quid more than they'd fetch today. If I still had them I'd vote for independence.

And if you vote for independence and they fall back to pre-offer levels, I'll buy back in.

HOLA446

And if you vote for independence and they fall back to pre-offer levels, I'll buy back in.

That's very decent of you. ;)

For the avoidance of doubt, I'm not considering voting against the takeover because of some noble patriotic ideal, but because I bought the shares as a long-term plan and I don't need a big CGT bill this year.

HOLA447

For the avoidance of doubt, I'm not considering voting against the takeover because of some noble patriotic ideal, but because I bought the shares as a long-term plan and I don't need a big CGT bill this year.

Aha!

Mine were tax-sheltered. Indeed, I keep all my investments either tax-exempt or tax-sheltered (even cash, now there's the extra £1k/year exemption). But yes, if I had a taxable share portfolio it would be those like ARM expected to generate less high-taxed income and more low-taxed capital gains. For the first time in my life, if it weren't for the tax shelter I'd have a realised gain above (well above) the tax-exempt threshold.

And I wouldn't be voting for anything patriotic, but for a company that's uniquely important and whose future in non-independent hands is unclear. The silver lining is that Softbank have no reason to do anything stupid with it, beyond the obvious risk of p***ing off customers by squeezing them harder.

HOLA448
HOLA449
  • 2 years later...
HOLA4410