House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Frank Hovis

Half-Decent Things You Were Put Off

A common one is golf. The image puts loads of people off who subsequently become keen players.

A couple of more specific ones for me:

Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance: the wilfully silly title and its status as a 70s sociology student's favourite book made me avoid it but when I finally read it I enjoyed it. Not a must read but a good one.

Pink Floyd: a favourite of every annoying schoolboy that thinks they're somehow superior. I refused to listen to them for decades until hearing the Dark Side of the Moon and liking it.

A common one is golf. The image puts loads of people off who subsequently become keen players.

A couple of more specific ones for me:

Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance: the wilfully silly title and its status as a 70s sociology student's favourite book made me avoid it but when I finally read it I enjoyed it. Not a must read but a good one.

Pink Floyd: a favourite of every annoying schoolboy that thinks they're somehow superior. I refused to listen to them for decades until hearing the Dark Side of the Moon and liking it.

Golf is the dresscode and social side stuff - old boy and all that.

I might enjoy it but I cant be arsed now.

Malt whisky.

I used to think it was old mans drink and horrid.

Now I like it.

Easier to carry than a slab of beer too.

Anything with an 'i' prefix.

WRT golf - it really does depend on the club. The main matchplay comp at my nearest club has come down to a final this year between a teenager from the local comp v a member of the travelling community (who doesn't travel)

Spain.

Girona.

As cheap flights go to Girona (Barcelona) everyone assumes Gerona is like Luton.

Its not!

Girona is really nice. Foody capital of Catalonia.

Gardening.

After almost 40 years of living in either army accommodation or flats, the better half and I have had a garden for about a year and a half now. It's bloody hard work (the place had been run down by the old(er!) couple that had it before, but I am amazed at the self satisfaction you get from digging up your own tatties and eating them within the hour!

Edit: Aargh, Spunko beat me to it!

Just to add, you would not credit how much delight a 6' 2", 16-stone, ex-squaddie biker derives from his dahlias :lol:

Just to add, you would not credit how much delight a 6' 2", 16-stone, ex-squaddie biker derives from his dahlias :lol:

Just wait until the slugs ravish them... :D I gave up on Dahlias in my 2nd year.

Just wait until the slugs ravish them... :D I gave up on Dahlias in my 2nd year.

Don't wish to derail the thread, but this works a treat.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Slug-Tape-Copper-Repellent-30mm/dp/B00DDVFJIG/ref=sr_1_5?s=outdoors&ie=UTF8&qid=1468851270&sr=1-5&keywords=copper+snail+and+slug+tape

Picked up 10 rolls from our local poundstretcher a year back, stuff with serrated edges, on sale at the end of the season for a pound a roll. Will be going back this year!

Mine got destroyed barely after getting out the ground. Perhaps starting them off in pots will work better. I'm not sure what it is, if it was slugs I'd have thought all the hostas would've been wrecked too. On the other hand my constantly attacking weeds in the lawn is paying off. It's still full of weeds but the number is definitely down, and most of the green is from grass instead of weeds and moss now. It's very satisfying, to the point where I even like mowing it because it looks nice afterwards (it's not a big lawn though).

Audi's and BMW's. I'm sure they're very good but they have a serious image problem.

The BMW image has improved. Nobheads now have Audis.

I never thought much of Pink Floyd, or Yes, much preferring Van der Graaf Generator, or Genesis.

Gardening.

Edit: Aargh, Spunko beat me to it!

Och, mon yer a wee softie! :blink:

Spain.

Interesting.. I'm guessing you manage to stay away from the tourist hot spots?

I found northern Spain a bit odd / unfriendly (San Sebastian). The South Eastern coast mostly barren tourist traps. I think Salamanca is the only place I have visited there that I really fell in love with.

Where else would you recommend ?

I'd also say Spain, and to some extent that's still true. I was happy to go to Portugal but not so happy to go to Menorca (if that counts as Spain) but I really liked it. I'm not sure I'd feel the same way about Majorca and Ibiza.

Interesting.. I'm guessing you manage to stay away from the tourist hot spots?

I found northern Spain a bit odd / unfriendly (San Sebastian). The South Eastern coast mostly barren tourist traps. I think Salamanca is the only place I have visited there that I really fell in love with.

Where else would you recommend ?

Catalonia. They are keen to practise English - they hate speaking Castilan.