House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
JoeDavola

Ormeau Area

I work in South Belfast near Queens University, so I know the student area very well; I know enough to know I wouldn't want to buy a house in Stranmillis because it's full of students making noise and smashing the houses up, or Botanic/Holylands because it's full of students and densely packed immigrants.

But I'm not all that knowledgeable about the Ormeau area. I know in general it's fashionable with post-university 20 and 30-somethings, but is it somewhere where you'd want to actually own a house? Are there certain areas within Ormeau that are safer than others?

I guess I'd worry about areas that are mostly owned by landlords or look like they are going that way - streets full of HMO's kinda thing. Wouldn't want to own a house in a street that wasn't mostly owner occupiers because if the holylands are anything to go by these streets eventually come to resemble rather delipidated slums.

To take an example, in Dehli Street, there's quite a range of valuations.

£135K: http://www.propertynews.com/Property/Belfast/CBF668356/26-Delhi-Street/387859513/

£220K: http://www.propertynews.com/Property/Belfast/GPMGPM1118/14-Delhi-Street/387859513/

...what's this area like?

I'm wary of buying a house anywhere in the city where there's reasonably dense housing (i.e. terraces) because of what I know of the streets where I grew up in East Belfast - even 10 years ago they were mostly owner occupiers whereas now whole streets are owned by builders/BTL with HMO's who are renting out to migrants with an increase of anti-social behavior as a result (reports of 9 people living in a small terraced house - I have two relatives who still live in the aforementioned area of East Belfast so this is who I'm getting these reports from).

Edited by JoeDavola

Two properties you've listed just illustrate what you've said you didn't like about Stranmillis.

One is a HMO and the other is a family home. Both on the same street.

Very few areas in the South and East that don't have either flats or houses to rent alongside established family homes.

BT7 wise Stay above bridge. Rosetta good.

Yep what Dave said. I nearly bought a house on ravenhill park but pulled out in the end. Personally I'd rather live in lower stranmillis. It's definitely more owners than renters but you obviously pay more. I rented in Delhi Street for a year when I was a uni. Not a bad Street but I wouldn't pay that to live there. Personally I don't like side yard extensions.

not sure what is going to happen to the Holylands with all the new student flats planned for the other end of the city. If that all comes into play there could be a big exit of students from the Holylands. this might appear a good thing but who and what will replace them.in time the area may return to its leafy family past but that could take a while as many of the houses have been altered to HMO's.

Bought in Ormeau a couple of years ago after renting off Sunnyside Street for a few years and I would definitely recommend the area. Before that I rented off the Lisburn Road.

I prefer the pubs over here (Errigle, Pavilion, Brewbot if you like your beers), the coffee shops are great (Kaffeo, General Merchants), nice restaurants (Shed, L'etoile) and I just like the vibe of the Ormeau Road. Mixed area, never experienced any anti-social behaviour, £6 taxi to city centre.

Generally the houses below Sunnyside are terraced (nice period houses although it's street parking and it can be quite busy). The houses above are mostly owner-occupied semis with gardens + driveways, and there's less through traffic.

Rosetta and Ravenhill have some lovely properties too.

not sure what is going to happen to the Holylands with all the new student flats planned for the other end of the city. If that all comes into play there could be a big exit of students from the Holylands. this might appear a good thing but who and what will replace them.in time the area may return to its leafy family past but that could take a while as many of the houses have been altered to HMO's.

I would love to see the holylands revert back to it's leafy family/owner occupier past but if the students continue to move out they'll just shovel more immigrants in. I walk through the holylands once a week to get to the Asian supermarket and it's obvious that some street are already mostly immigrants. It's such a shame that the entire area is just landlord-owned it would seem - I'd much rather see it full of families and young professionals who work in the city center/university area.

Bought in Ormeau a couple of years ago after renting off Sunnyside Street for a few years and I would definitely recommend the area. Before that I rented off the Lisburn Road.

I prefer the pubs over here (Errigle, Pavilion, Brewbot if you like your beers), the coffee shops are great (Kaffeo, General Merchants), nice restaurants (Shed, L'etoile) and I just like the vibe of the Ormeau Road. Mixed area, never experienced any anti-social behaviour, £6 taxi to city centre.

Generally the houses below Sunnyside are terraced (nice period houses although it's street parking and it can be quite busy). The houses above are mostly owner-occupied semis with gardens + driveways, and there's less through traffic.

Rosetta and Ravenhill have some lovely properties too.

Thanks for the info!

I would love to see the holylands revert back to it's leafy family/owner occupier past but if the students continue to move out they'll just shovel more immigrants in. I walk through the holylands once a week to get to the Asian supermarket and it's obvious that some street are already mostly immigrants. It's such a shame that the entire area is just landlord-owned it would seem - I'd much rather see it full of families and young professionals who work in the city center/university area.

Thanks for the info!

I agree although I spent a few enjoyable years there many moons ago. However, every city has HMO's and they have to be somewhere.

I agree although I spent a few enjoyable years there many moons ago. However, every city has HMO's and they have to be somewhere.

Keep your eye out for Declan selling up. Can't be long now. Tho the student beds getting build are unbelievably expensive. I wonder how long we can keep the student loan scam going...