House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

Ashleigh Shackelford - A Truly Awesome Social Justice Warrior Rant

http://wearyourvoicemag.com/identities/race/white-people-blacklivesmatter-protests

In the last two years that I’ve organized around antiblack violence and within the #BlackLivesMatter movement, I’ve witnessed white people showing up more and more to protests and rallies. At first, when we were protesting for Mike Brown for months in 2014, personally I was a lot more open to welcoming white allies who wanted to come out and help us fight. My personal/political naiveté and the need for more bodies trumped questioning their motives in the heat of the moment of something so important.

But after a while, I started realizing that trying to work with white people in direct actions became extremely triggering and tasking. I would witness many white people show up and want to be in the front — not to protect us, but to be visible and be in a photo. There would be swarms of white anarchists showing up, chanting “****** the Police,” completely disrupting our original chants and heightening the potential for violence against the Black protestors. Easily though, the anarchists almost outdo the groups of #AllLivesMatter folks who come out to walk in the protest but miss the entire point — even when most of the Black people call them out.

To many Black folks at these rallies though, we are openly and publicly grieving. Our protests and rebellions are out of channeling our trauma into action that is a form of healing, strategy and moving through pain. We are marching, yelling, singing, physically and mentally exhausted because WHITE PEOPLE ARE KILLING US. So when I see white people show up to rally excited and smiling, ready to march like it’s a hobby — I’m disgusted and absolutely ******ing livid. When I witness white people taking up space, pushing myths of whiteness as political truth or using white saviorism to reframe their power and privilege, I’m ready to fight.

The fact that white people show up to these rallies as if it’s a ******ing BBQ (cause you know y’all don’t have cookouts), chanting Assata’s words, saying “we have nothing to lose but our chains,” I’m actually retraumatized by how comfortable white people are in not doing anything to change their violence. These marches are funerals for us. Black people are being murdered, violated and oppressed every day. We are literally in mourning every minute of our lives.

1. Ask yourself why you need to go to a #blacklivesmatter protest.

Unless Black organizers have specified that you need to come to a rally for buffers against the police, as a legal observer, or to collect other white people, why are you going to a protest when you’re the oppressor? If you really believe that #BlackLivesMatter, ask yourself if you’re willing to die for us and to die to dismantle this system. Are you willing to learn everything possible about antiblackness and its many forms so that you can dismantle it? Are you willing to give up everything you have to make sure Black people can survive, thrive and be safe? If you cannot answer yes to ALL of these questions, you don’t need to be at a protest. There are more ways to actually use your privilege and more ways to challenge the antiblack violence embedded within you without being at a protest that you serve no purpose for. Your presence only triggers the black people that are frightened by you, and you actually don’t change anything by being at a protest if there is no work to match your visibility.

2. Reparations.

Nothing you have is yours. Let me be clear: Nothing you have is yours. Also, Let me be see through: Reparations are not donations, because we are not your charity, tax write off, or good deed for the day. You are living off of stolen resources, stolen land, exploited labor, appropriated culture and the murder of our people. Nothing you have is yours.

Reparations for us are not only necessary because we are economically harmed, exploited and stolen from — while the violence against us is never acknowledged — but because in order for us to create and move work for Black liberation, it requires resources and MONEY. We live in a white supremacist capitalist world, so ain’t no spinning webs of lies around “money isn’t the answer.” It is because money and exploitation and power are interconnected concepts of violence. Y’all spent hundreds of years selling, mutilating, raping and beating our bodies and labor but you think money doesn’t matter to our freedom and liberation? Cute. Write me a check for this shade because it comes with 400 years of trauma.

We need housing, transportation, food, clothes, free space for meetings and work space; we need laptops, cell phones, encrypted systems for communication, solar power and LAND. Stop playing. Y’all really thought pulling up to the protest in your Hyundai was gonna be enough? Nah. You have to give us everything we need and more, because even if it means you go without — it doesn’t matter because that’s how we been living for 400+ years. Reparations will never be negotiable. So if you’re not willing to talk money, you are not here for #BlackLivesMatter as a movement or for us as individuals.

More of this at the link.

In case you were wondering

another very special snowflake

10658637_10202930247328518_5567209353672

Ashleigh Shackelford is a queer, agender, Black fat femme writer, artist and cultural producer. As a contributing writer at Wear Your Voice, Ashleigh covers the intersections of race politics and body positivtiy, LGBTQ issues, Entertainment and Feminism. Ashleigh is also a contributor at For Harriet and the creator of Free Figure Revolution, a body positivity organization. She is currently working on her M.A. in Africana Studies at Morgan State University.

http://wearyourvoicemag.com/team/ashleigh-shackelford

that website has more fcking issues than the Readers Digest

In case you were wondering

another very special snowflake

10658637_10202930247328518_5567209353672

Ashleigh Shackelford is a queer, agender, Black fat femme writer, artist and cultural producer. As a contributing writer at Wear Your Voice, Ashleigh covers the intersections of race politics and body positivtiy, LGBTQ issues, Entertainment and Feminism. Ashleigh is also a contributor at For Harriet and the creator of Free Figure Revolution, a body positivity organization. She is currently working on her M.A. in Africana Studies at Morgan State University. waste of oxygen.

I hate to waste any brain cycles on people like this. Trapped in their bubbles with a myopic perspective on the world...

"Nothing you have is yours." . Lol. There are plenty of wealthy powerful black people out there, and conversely lots of poor white people. They seem to assume there is no justice unless all black people are wealthy and over represented in society...

Not saying there is no such thing as racism, absolutely not, but where I may see a black person failing, they see oppression and racism.

Logic and reason can never change an entrenched opinion, so these guys will not be going away anytime soon.

Is it possible to 'tick any more boxes'. The sooner this SJW / PC nonsense is put in its place the better.

I wouldn't hold your breath...

If she was living in Africa three centuries ago, the local (black) warlord would have sold her ass into slavery. Hell if she was living in Africa now, the outcome might not be so different. #blackssoldblacks

I hate to waste any brain cycles on people like this. Trapped in their bubbles with a myopic perspective on the world...

"Nothing you have is yours." . Lol. There are plenty of wealthy powerful black people out there, and conversely lots of poor white people. They seem to assume there is no justice unless all black people are wealthy and over represented in society...

Not saying there is no such thing as racism, absolutely not, but where I may see a black person failing, they see oppression and racism.

Logic and reason can never change an entrenched opinion, so these guys will not be going away anytime soon.

Indeed.

• Can a white person’s sacrifices to dismantle white supremacy ever be great enough to trust them?
  • Does love conquer all if love is often shaped through violence within white supremacist context?
  • If Black people are still unlearning anti-Blackness while simultaneously surviving anti-Black violence, how is it possible to expect a white person to be conscious of this violence enough to love us fully?
  • Is my ability to humanize white people something I should expect from other Black people living and surviving different trauma and experiences?
  • How can I decipher between humanizing white people as spiritual wellness from investment in whiteness?

http://wearyourvoicemag.com/identities/race/hate-white-supremacy-really-hate-white-people-struggle-black-survival-spiritual-wellness

A response:

Thank you for this. I struggle with similar issues as I do a lot of "white ally" training as part of the M4BL. As a man, I hope that White people can overcome their privilege as I hope that I can overcome my privilege as a man. I often ask myself why Black women put so much effort into loving and teaching me? Is it worth it for them? Why? How can use what Black woman have taught me to teach white people to see my people as human? What are the personal and political implications of loving White people? How does the effort I give to white people limit the emotional energy I have to support the Black women who support me. Anyways. This has given me some additional perspectives and is so wonderfully written. I really appreciate it. Thank you!

It all started when her African ancestors hounded my ancestors out of Africa into Europe.

I want her and her cronies to give me Africa back.

Grab your pith helmet, and copy of Wisden's. We shall make Africa British. :huh:

Her OP is very much her "unique" viewpoint. The "white people are killing us" thing is rubbish because a major thrust of BLM is to stop the casual violence that leads to the huge numbers of black on black killings.

As I don't wish to give him publicity I will bury here that Owen Jones, the precious and easily-offended commentator, is doing a nationwide speaking tour at theatres explaining his view of a fairer society.

I don't think I'll be going. I don't see why anybody would.

Her OP is very much her "unique" viewpoint. The "white people are killing us" thing is rubbish because a major thrust of BLM is to stop the casual violence that leads to the huge numbers of black on black killings.

Didn't realise that. Do they have mass protests virtually every day in Chicago? If they only have big publicity when the police screw up you can see why the message becomes distorted.

Basically she's advocating black people killing and robbing white people to redistribute wealth. Is this correct?

In her eyes it's taking back rightfully which was stolen from the oppressed. For her clearly it's that simple.

Looks like the BLM crew are assuming control over any instances of a BME suspect dieing in custody in the UK.

Death of black teenager sparks protests in Liverpool

18 year old bloke called "Mzee Mohammed was detained following unconfirmed reports that he was acting in an “aggressive and erratic” manner and carrying a knife in the Liverpool One shopping centre."

His mum Karla demanded justice for her 'baby boy' at a subsequent BLM event organised in a Liverpool church. In the Liverpool Echo she paid tribute to her 'gentle giant' of a son and reiterated her demand for 'justice' ECHO.

So we have a 6ft+ teen alleged to have been waving a knife and threatening people in a shopping centre, and the BLM crew are trying to blame the police (although the initial arrest was by mall security staff).

What if he stabbed someone because the police were reluctant to take down a black suspect with a tazer because the BLM crew would blame them if it went wrong? I assume the victims families would then blame the cops for not taking him down and disarming him?

Black Americans only have a biased and narrow view of slavery,they won't face up to the fact their ancestors were involved in trading slaves with Europeans.

Also throughout history many thousands white Europeans were taken into slavery by Muslims,but this is never really talked about as it doesn't suit the modern narrative of portraying the White man as a Devil.

The Barbary pirates used to raid Devon and Cornwall for slaves.

nothing you have is yours...so give it to me....where it will be mine...oh yes.