House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

frozen_out

Shaving Subscription Reccomendations

Does anyone have any experience of a shave subscription in the UK? I've heard good things about both Harry's and Dollarshaveclub, but I don't think they're available in the UK. So I'm looking for a review/recommendation for a UK equivalent, but they're (the reviews, that is) pretty hard to come by

Does anyone have any experience of a shave subscription in the UK? I've heard good things about both Harry's and Dollarshaveclub, but I don't think they're available in the UK. So I'm looking for a review/recommendation for a UK equivalent, but they're (the reviews, that is) pretty hard to come by

The best thing I have found is to keep an eye on hotukdeals as Asda regularly do gillette razors really cheaply - and they sell out within hours of going on hotukdeals. I stock up when this happens and saves me a fortune.

The best thing I have found is to keep an eye on hotukdeals as Asda regularly do gillette razors really cheaply - and they sell out within hours of going on hotukdeals. I stock up when this happens and saves me a fortune.

it's exactly that kind of scenario I want to avoid. I want to be able to go to the cupboard and know I've got some razors, and I start to run out it's OK, I'll be getting more delivered.

it's exactly that kind of scenario I want to avoid. I want to be able to go to the cupboard and know I've got some razors, and I start to run out it's OK, I'll be getting more delivered.

Amazon do subscriptions now for various different razor blades. You need to read the reviews though as some people say they get legit blades and others claim that they get fakes.

However, what I do is perfectly fine as I often get a pack of gillette from Asda for a fiver and I stock up big time. I have enough blades to last me until 2018 so I don't have to worry about the problem you fear. Next time Asda do a deal I will top up.

See these. Did not think its worth it.

Despite my oozing manliness, I manage to get 6 monhs+ from a gilleite triple razor. I only ditch them when they start gouging my face out.

a 6 pack lasts me a good 3 years.

The subs services were wanting a monthly payment FFS!

I did wonder about getting safety razors. Decided against it with kids in the house.

Take £100, order ten pillars of Wilkinson Sword double edge blades, use one blade a week, repeat after 20 years.

It's interesting that shaving is so emotive. I'm not after the cheapest shave, more convenience. Buying £100 of razor blades up front just isn't going to happen.

Shave clubs seem to offer (if the reviews are anything to go by) something cheaper (clearly not the absolute cheapest) and more convenient than the big boys

It's interesting that shaving is so emotive. I'm not after the cheapest shave, more convenience. Buying £100 of razor blades up front just isn't going to happen.

Shave clubs seem to offer (if the reviews are anything to go by) something cheaper (clearly not the absolute cheapest) and more convenient than the big boys

If you join a shave club, is there a secret handshake, hat and badge?

The subs services were wanting a monthly payment FFS!

I did wonder about getting safety razors. Decided against it with kids in the house.

That's their business model - even though you can cancel at any time they know the lethargy of the average customer will give them 3-6 months income

Just keep the safety razors out of reach in the same way you'd keep caustic soda or a kitchen knife out of harms way - they really are the cheapest and best way to shave.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/100-ASTRA-SUPERIOR-PLATINUM-DOUBLE-EDGE-SAFETY-RAZOR-BLADES-/321839721177?hash=item4aef246ad9:g:XGgAAOSwZ1lWeBJO

Have you not got a cupboard? :)

Here's 100 blades delivered for less than £20. They don't take up much space.

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/100-x-Feather-Razor-Shaving-Blades-HI-STAINLESS-Double-edge-Platinum-coated-BEST-/221825388181?nav=SEARCH

If you really want a recurring delivery, then Amazon do a subscription delivery thing on consumables.

There seem to be several:

http://gillette.co.uk/en-gb/gillette-club?gclid=CIye_oKd-80CFUIW0wod2g0HTw

http://www.shaveclubuk.com/our-products/

Can't understand why you would though.. Seems like the sort of thing you just throw in your shopping trolley when you're down to your last one. Can't say I find it a constant aggravation myself.

If you join a shave club, is there a secret handshake, hat and badge?

The first rule of Shave Club, is that there is no Shave Club...

There seem to be several:

http://gillette.co.uk/en-gb/gillette-club?gclid=CIye_oKd-80CFUIW0wod2g0HTw

http://www.shaveclubuk.com/our-products/

Can't understand why you would though.. Seems like the sort of thing you just throw in your shopping trolley when you're down to your last one. Can't say I find it a constant aggravation myself.

I think it's a psychological thing - I don't do the shopping so it's always a special trip for me down to boots, or wherever.

I guess I'm exactly these company's target audience. Lazy git who just wants to set up a sub and get a box of shaving tackle every month. I get why people go the safety razor route, but I'm a once a day man and always in the shower. Don't you have to actually set time aside to shave with a safety razor? Again, never going to happen for me.

Learn to shave using a traditional safety razor (double edge single razor blades), badger-hair shaving brush, shaving cream/soap and you'll get a much better shave, less razor burn/ingrowing hairs. Plus over a few years you'll save a hell of a lot of money.

Learn to shave using a traditional safety razor (double edge single razor blades), badger-hair shaving brush, shaving cream/soap and you'll get a much better shave, less razor burn/ingrowing hairs. Plus over a few years you'll save a hell of a lot of money.

No! I know everyone bangs on about this, but it's just not going to happen. Just checking out Amazon subscriptions, £15 for 8 blades every 3 months. Some of these shaving clubs are cheaper, but nomimally at least not by a long way. Think I'll just go for an Amazon sub to Gillette fusion cartridges.

I think this is supposed to be the uk equivalent of Harry's (no idea what it is like)

www.cornerstone.co.uk

Personally I started a thread on here some time back asking about razors. I initially tried out the suggestion of using double edge safety razors, but did not find them very good (even if you spend a long time shaving the results will be worse than a mid range Gillette, if you speed up you will cut yourself and get really bad results)

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/index.php?/topic/199434-razor-blades/

In the end I started buying dorco razors (which is what dollar shave club are under the branding) off ebay. They are almost at the latest and greatest Gillette level, but a lot cheaper. But it is not a shave club.

I think it's a psychological thing - I don't do the shopping so it's always a special trip for me down to boots, or wherever.

I guess I'm exactly these company's target audience. Lazy git who just wants to set up a sub and get a box of shaving tackle every month. I get why people go the safety razor route, but I'm a once a day man and always in the shower. Don't you have to actually set time aside to shave with a safety razor? Again, never going to happen for me.

You seem to get through quite a few blades as well.

I also shave in the shower but I would expect 8 blades to last me a year. I just buy a job lot of Gillette disposables once in a while and that lasts me a year or two.

If you get through 30 odd blades a year I can see why you might prefer subscription (if you can't get the mrs to pick a few up at the store for you).

No! I know everyone bangs on about this, but it's just not going to happen. Just checking out Amazon subscriptions, £15 for 8 blades every 3 months. Some of these shaving clubs are cheaper, but nomimally at least not by a long way. Think I'll just go for an Amazon sub to Gillette fusion cartridges.

I found that getting a safety razor saved me a load of money. I gave up shaving shortly after...

On a related topic, can anyone recommend me a safety razor? Cheap, utilitarian, and durable.

I used to always use them but stopped for reasons I forget.

As I'm only shaving every third day or so at the moment, the 5p a throw Aldi jobbies get clogged with stubble and last about a week (rather than my usual month or two).

:(

Get one of these bad boy shaving starting sets (I personally recommend the Merkur 38C barber pole razor) and a razor selection set.

http://www.traditionalshaving.co.uk/shaving-starter-kits/5325432-shaving-starter-kits-luxury-shaving-cream.html

Shave like a real man :)

It actually gives you a closer shave (I only shave every 2 days anyway) , and it's much more environmentally friendly as those disposable razors are pretty difficult to recycle I believe

My grandad used the orange bic 2 bladed jobbies. Not a chance I'm going to shave like him.

I'm starting to see thie issue, I need to list things I don't care about when I'm shaving:

1. cost

2. the environment

3. any kind of kudos that arises from using the same tackle as my great-grandad

4. a shave any closer than the one I have now

I guess that pretty much seals it - just going to stick with Gillette fusion

My grandad used the orange bic 2 bladed jobbies. Not a chance I'm going to shave like him.

I'm starting to see thie issue, I need to list things I don't care about when I'm shaving:

1. cost

2. the environment

3. any kind of kudos that arises from using the same tackle as my great-grandad

4. a shave any closer than the one I have now

I guess that pretty much seals it - just going to stick with Gillette fusion

:)

My grandad used the orange bic 2 bladed jobbies. Not a chance I'm going to shave like him

I remember those, I think you can still buy them.

They were truly awful, I recall using them when I first started shaving as they were what my father had in the house.

I recall tonnes of cuts, and accidentally shaving the top of the odd teenage pimple. And of course using them for too long and getting really bad razor burn.