House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Butthead

Pulse Dialling Automated Exchanges

Following on from the smart meters thread it seems that there is more unwanted innovation that the utility companies are trying to force upon us. The phone companies have built a so called "automated exchange" where they claim that they can connect telephone calls without an operator working a switchboard.

Is this clearly a scam?

I think that the phone companies are trying it on. The benefits to them are obvious.

They can fire lots of telephone operators.

Their exchange can keep a record of everyone I call and when I call them, a gross invasion of my privacy.

They can probably listen in to my calls really easily, or something.

I can't see any advantages for me though, and I'm sure these new-fangled exchanges are very expensive and I will end up paying for them.

I for one am going to continue using the telephone operators as long as possible!

I'm not convinced. I run a local funeral parlour and the wife of one of my competitors works at the exchange. I swear that I'm losing custom because she's sending my calls his way. The sooner such things can be automated the better. If it's not sorted soon I might have to look into it myself. I do a little bit of inventing on the side.

Mods - Please rename this thread sacked + bitter BT telecom apprentices.

I was "let go" by BT many years ago!

Mods - Please rename this thread sacked + bitter BT telecom apprentices.

Haha!

Only if they rename the other one "Suspicious TFH-wearing luddites"

Haha!

Only if they rename the other one "Suspicious TFH-wearing luddites"

That isn't a synonym for "people who don't embrace every utterly pointless change that doesn't benefit them in the slightest and who actually give a sh1t about their own privacy."

I had to handle a visit from BT - I cannot remember the part of BT - OPenCall, I forget as they keep renaming the bits and changing the logos.

Any how, he came round to fix the ISDN line into the security system - nothign wrong with, some other BT moron had fcked up the connection in the roadside box.

Anyhow, he was surprised that I knew what I was talking about.

I was surprised that we got an engineer. He said there's fckall these days. They lurch from all going to fix all the lines at one flooded town to another.

BT have redelpoeyd the irish contractors that dig the holes as front facing people to install lines and stuff. That should be fun.

That isn't a synonym for "people who don't embrace every utterly pointless change that doesn't benefit them in the slightest and who actually give a sh1t about their own privacy."

Why does someone who cares about their privacy want someone they don't know to come into their house on a semi-regular basis?

Why does someone who cares about their privacy want someone they don't know to come into their house on a semi-regular basis?

A very infrequent basis. It's rather different from what you get up to in your home being constantly monitored. I run on the principle of "minimum nosiness required to do the job." I'd be fine with a meter that transmitted a reading when you pressed a button, once every few months, on that side of things at any rate (on the other side I'm in general against continually removing people from the system unless it's jobs no-one really wants to do or are dangerous).

To be honest I was expecting sarcasm towards people who don't love to jump on every new and shiny bandwaggon from other posters first.

A very infrequent basis. It's rather different from what you get up to in your home being constantly monitored. I run on the principle of "minimum nosiness required to do the job." I'd be fine with a meter that transmitted a reading when you pressed a button, once every few months, on that side of things at any rate (on the other side I'm in general against continually removing people from the system unless it's jobs no-one really wants to do or are dangerous).

To be honest I was expecting sarcasm towards people who don't love to jump on every new and shiny bandwaggon from other posters first.

So a meter that transmits a reading when you press a button every few months is fine, but a meter that transmits a reading every month automatically is an invasion of privacy?

(https://www.bigbrotherwatch.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/Smart-Meters-1.pdf - top of page 2 - and note it's from a site that exists to point out issues with privacy)

And on the issue of removing people from the system, no point arguing that as I won't change your mind but I would respectfully suggest that that absolutely IS a synonym for 'Luddite'.

Possibly, re. the luddite bit, in which case bring on the Luddites, something to be proud of rather than an insult.

If all the meter does is transmit a single reading monthly, and cannot do more, then I'm prepared to stand corrected on my objection, although it still ends up in the "what's the point?" box. A little more convenient but in the don't see any good reasons to push their installation, just change when the old ones need replacing anyway category.

I'm not convinced. I run a local funeral parlour and the wife of one of my competitors works at the exchange. I swear that I'm losing custom because she's sending my calls his way. The sooner such things can be automated the better. If it's not sorted soon I might have to look into it myself. I do a little bit of inventing on the side.

Very good!