House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Dave Beans

No.1 Place To Live & Work In The Uk - Cambridge. Average Wage £35K. Average House Price £436K (Glassdoor)

We know well paid jobs are good.......but is high or low population good?......are high or low priced homes good? .....and to who? ;)

Bradford at 8th? Is this real life? Simply by numbers, that place is so successful and vibrant that houses cost half the national average. Apparently, people from every corner of the UK are just swarming in to bathe in it's glory.

Edited by kibuc

Is this mean wage? Median? Joint income? As my guess is that actual median wages are probably half that. So, houses are not even 5x-10x (expensive!) salary but more like 10-20x (absolutely f****ng mental).

Average salary in Bradford over £28K? Really? I would like to see the official ONS stats.

Likewise, Reading at 43k seems suspect. Perhaps they've discounted all the part time work and zero hour contracts. Definitely haven't included the car washes...

Edited by streamingfreedom

Likewise, Reading at 43k seems suspect. Perhaps they've discounted all the part time work and zero hour contracts. Definitely haven't included the car washes...

Had an argument on this site about Reading.

Wages arnt that high. Mainly some people travelling in for jobs.

Reading has Labour MP. Lots of high earners dont vote Labour.

Had an argument on this site about Reading.

Wages arnt that high. Mainly some people travelling in for jobs.

Reading has Labour MP. Lots of high earners dont vote Labour.

But Reading and Wokingham have voted for Bremain.

My guess based on one of the local papers, Reading demographics are changing, more second generation Asians. Probably, all those who couldn't afford to buy in Hounslow, Harrow, Ealing, Hillingdon and Maidenhead have moved to Reading. Good train links, shopping centre, schools, community centres and local employment attracts others. I heard IKEA is opening a branch in Reading.

Having said that 43K still seems but high. Some high earners may have pushed the average? I do know some IT and finance workers with single and joint income over £100k.

Edited by Fairyland

Reading abc Bracknell are both crap holes. Look at the average schoolresults - ignore the selective ones in Reading.

Wokingham has always been nice but dull. But its getting squashed bt Reading and Bracknell.

Rail links from Reading are quick but youve a long tube trip to the city.

Whams train is dire.

But Reading and Wokingham have voted for Bremain.

My guess based on one of the local papers, Reading demographics are changing, more second generation Asians. Probably, all those who couldn't afford to buy in Hounslow, Harrow, Ealing, Hillingdon and Maidenhead have moved to Reading. Good train links, shopping centre, schools, community centres and local employment attracts others. I heard IKEA is opening a branch in Reading.

Having said that 43K still seems but high. Some high earners may have pushed the average? I do know some IT and finance workers with single and joint income over £100k.

I dont get you remain point.

As far as Reading demographics go the place feels 3rd worldish - its very poor. I walked around town the oyher week and it feels like Middlesbrough.

A general consensus (or the media) made one believe that relatively well off areas voted for Remain. Will see if I can dig out the telegraph article about leave voters.

Completely agree with Wokingham train situation. Very slow.

Agree, Reading is not as nice as Maidenhead/Windsor but some parts are good. University area, Caversham, Emmer green have been desirable for a long time. Some new homes next to the Oracle are also good but apart from that it is shabby and not as nice.

Schools, a friend of mine recently moved in East Reading as her boy goes to Reading Grammar and now a new school 'Maiden Erleigh Reading' will be a back up option for her daughter in case she doesn't get into Kendrick. Previously the family wouldn't have moved from Wokingham or Lower Earley. Maiden Erliegh school in Earley was holding/pushing up prices now that will happen in Reading. The not do nice areas around Palmer park will get HPI because of school. Don't ask me why but parents are willing to pay a premium for good council schools.

The family(our good friends) is trying to lure us to move to East Reading with schools, shops, park information. I was also informed that Reading Girls Schools has grammar style entrance for top two sets and work with Kendrick.

High down school in Emmer Green/Caversham had good results.

Bulmershe in Woodley is also picking up. Some parts of Woodley have a nice feel, around waitrose probably. For some reason Lower Earley is getting very popular these days even though it feels like a big housing estate.

Edited by Fairyland

All those schools are tiny. Id guess 90%+ of kids do not go them.

Reading and M4 corridor is becoming less viable due to traffic congestion. Just not atteactive place to work.

Theres only a fww big paying cos now. HP and MS are not scaling down. No new company is moving there.

So are the average salaries based in the unverified salaries people have entered in glass door? (A site used by people who think they professionals)

The average salaries for these areas seem well high. Although I know Reading and Cambridge have a lot of tech workers.

Certainly where I used to live in the Midlands, amongst my friends earning 35-45k is considered 'racking it in'

Seems there is no stopping Cambridge, the darling of the Establishment and the Remainers Capital of the Universe, defies all logic being number one with regard to the price of property. But with all that troughing on public funds, the choice of the Metro elite, may be Cambridge is worth number one spot along with paying 400k for a prefab on some ex council estate...bargain.

Is this mean wage? Median? Joint income? As my guess is that actual median wages are probably half that. So, houses are not even 5x-10x (expensive!) salary but more like 10-20x (absolutely f****ng mental).

I ran the numbers as part of this analysis. The latest ASHE data suggests the individual median Cambridgeshire salary is £473 per week (£24,596 pa) and the mean is £568.60 (£29,567). Compared to prices under the same piece of analysis I concluded the PE was either 9.2 or 7.7 times so clearly a great [sic] place to live if you want to be a home owner and not indebted forever.

So are the average salaries based in the unverified salaries people have entered in glass door? (A site used by people who think they professionals)

The average salaries for these areas seem well high. Although I know Reading and Cambridge have a lot of tech workers.

Certainly where I used to live in the Midlands, amongst my friends earning 35-45k is considered 'racking it in'

Reading used to have tech jobs. Now its hard to get people to move theur. And the companies left are shrinking.

Tech jobs moved to London.

Oxford and Cambridge are both economically bizarre. Midlands/East Anglia wages, London living costs.

Oxford and Cambridge are both economically bizarre. Midlands/East Anglia wages, London living costs.

I guess it would be implausible today to have a post boomer Chief Inspector Morse wandering around his rambling leafy detched house in Oxford 2016.

It would be a house share on the Blackbird Leys estate.

Edited by crashmonitor

Reading used to have tech jobs. Now its hard to get people to move theur. And the companies left are shrinking.

Tech jobs moved to London.

What is causing Reading HPI then? Slough and Reading are in the top HPI areas of the country.

I know of another family who kept buying on hold till this year are sadly priced out. The small, 2 up 2 down, suburb houses in Reading have leapt up to £400k. Insane HPI on the back of falling employment?

What is causing Reading HPI then? Slough and Reading are in the top HPI areas of the country.

I know of another family who kept buying on hold till this year are sadly priced out. The small, 2 up 2 down, suburb houses in Reading have leapt up to £400k. Insane HPI on the back of falling employment?

Too much credit, like everyehere else.

Theresjust not the business to suppurt thd M4 corridor.

Theres a lot of Poles moved there. Come TC changes youll see a lot of money just dissappear.

Im amazed that people still bang kn about Silicon valletM4. It never really was ,- just an easy place to get office space near Heathrow.

The wonderful life changing effects of Crossrail of course! :rolleyes:

Just London desperation for a bargain spreading ever outwards, see Luton/Dagenham for more details. I take it these 2 bed terraces in Reading were probably going for 240k back in 2012 or so? It's amazing what gentrification tries to hide, if these homes were in equivalent towns/cities north of Birmingham you'd be looking at 1/3 of the price.

Oxford is full of Chinese money, actually a dire poophole with the poorest of the poor everywhere to be seen, very odd place. I guess Cambridge is about the same?

Edited by Barnsey