House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UncleMeat

Coup In Turkey

A friend of mine was just telling me how a lof of stops on GDX gold miners were run in the last 5 minutes, every minute for 5 minutes, just before the US markets closed.

He was wondering what was going on and then "Oh feck, there is a coup in Turkey!".

Exactly what situation is the Turkish military trying to put right?

Military was secular for decades. Probably fed up with the islamifiication.

Freck, I didn't buy the gold stocks today thinking they would be lower on Monday. PMs trending up in after-hours in the US. (I know, callous of me.).

Happens just as Obama is live on TV talking about France - this has NOTHING to do with me because I am here in front of tens of millions of people on the telly?

Erdogan was getting a bit too pro-Islamic, the military is traditionally a check on that.

Same with Egypt.

He was threatening Europe constantly. Kicking it off with the Russians and involved in some very dodgy stuff re ISIS.

I think the boy finally came to the attention of Western leaders - even THEY probably worked out that he was an islamist nut-job.

Here's a thought - perhaps his islamic views were affecting the Turkish tourism industry so much that, as in Egypt, the army leaders were losing out on some serious beach-front hotel investments?

Turkey's PM has denounced an "illegal action" by a military "group"

There are reports of gunshots in the capital Ankara. Tanks are also said to be stationed outside Istanbul airport.

All flights from Istanbul's Ataturk airport cancelled

All flights from Istanbul's Ataturk airport have been cancelled, according to the Reuters news agency citing a pilot at the airport.

This is brilliant news isn't it?

Isn't it?

No, I decided not to buy some gold stocks today and now it has shot up after-hours. I hope it is all over by Sunday night and lovely, cuddly teddy bears are running Turkey.

Some boy on the TV - an 'expert' - saying it is probably just some junior officers.

For junior officers they seem to have organised well - tanks, aircraft. It's not a boy with a gun running into Parliament.

Turkey's PM has denounced an "illegal action" by a military "group"

There are reports of gunshots in the capital Ankara. Tanks are also said to be stationed outside Istanbul airport.

All flights from Istanbul's Ataturk airport cancelled

All flights from Istanbul's Ataturk airport have been cancelled, according to the Reuters news agency citing a pilot at the airport.

Yes, flightradar looked a tad nuts at the airport.