House Price Crash Forum
bear.getting.old

Camerons Last Pmqs Got A Question From Corbyn About 450K Houses

During Camerons leaving party Corbyn did actually ask him if he thought £450k for an affordable starter home in London was affordable. All Cameron came back with was pushing how HTB makes the deposit for a house for FTBers far less and what a good thing this is along with shared ownership. Again, right up to the end Cameron just does not get it!!! If people need 'help' to buy then houses are far too expensive. Putting them on the hook for more debt through HTB is irresponsible! Shared ownership is also a bad solution.

A fitting end to a prime minister who could have made this better for people but has utterly utterly failed on housing and although I like the guy I will not ever forgive him for all his pro HPI policies.

Jeremy Corbyn: I have been listening carefully to what the Home Secretary has been saying over the past few days. She said: “It’s harder than ever for young people to buy their first house.”

Does the Prime Minister think that is because of record low house building or his Government’s apparent belief that £450,000 is an affordable price for a starter home?

The Prime Minister: First, let me say at the Dispatch Box how warmly I congratulate the Home Secretary on becoming leader of the Conservative party. When it comes to women Prime Ministers, I am very pleased to be able to say that pretty soon it is going to be 2:0 -- and not a pink bus in sight.

On the issue of housing and homelessness, as I said, 700,000 homes have been delivered. The right hon. Gentleman asked about affordability, which is key. When I became Prime Minister, because of what had happened to the mortgage market, a first-time buyer often needed to have as much as £30,000 to put down a deposit. Because of the combination of Help to Buy and shared ownership, some people are able to get on the housing ladder now with a deposit of as little as £2,000. With the low mortgage rates and the new houses we are building, we are making good progress.

Bloke has been a disaster on housing, pure and simple. Glad to see him and Osborne out. May's comments on housing are equally concerning, but she starts with a clean slate and actions not words are what's important. I'm not investing any hope as I did when Brown was defeated however. I was quite optimistic then. How wrong can one be?

It's not just Cameron thou is it. 99% of public discourse in media is same. Very little recognition that prices and double digit annual gainzz are the main problem. Starting point for any discussion on property should be: property prices have gone from tragic to complete f#cking farce, lets discuss...

Anyone know when we start getting some verifiable hard data on BTL? Is it the CML mortgage approvals report? Hearing lots of anecdotals that this sector is truly in the crapper but would be nice to get confirmation from some stats and data.

The 'build more homes' is used as a distraction from affordability. Even on here too many swallowed that snake oil.

Housing isn't affordable for far too many, be it purchase or renting.

The 'build more homes' is used as a distraction from affordability. Even on here too many swallowed that snake oil.

Housing isn't affordable for far too many, be it purchase or renting.

Why do you think rents are unaffordable? Do you think lack of supply could be the problem?

Cameron seems to have zero interest or understanding, just cannot make my mind up with which, of peoples daily worry about getting a decent roof above his head before they even think about the daily struggle of making a decent wage. These type of people like you said "do not get it", decent housing in his and all his friends and family lives has never and will never be an issue or worry, they can just walk out of that front door every morning with no worries and concentrate on nothing but life itself.

Blair and Brown seemed to be the same to me. In the case of Brown he didn't even have his background as an excuse.

I am with you there, as far as I am concerned Blair is the cause of most of our evils today, Thatcher is no longer my hate figure, far from it. Until recently Blair will preach about his type of politics that gave him/Labour three wins by basically being Tories, along with destroying the economy and causing housing prices to rocket in price he has probably destroyed his own political party as well, and lots not forget Iraq and the middle east.

Yes, Cameron did not help, but he can only be accused of doing f**k all about it, Blair to me is the worst PM this country has ever seen.

I agree with you so much, that I could have written this post. I think Blair could have changed the EU to make acceptable but he instead decided to say yes to everything.

Can we raise a bit of a cheer here for the JC - he and John Mcdonnell really do give one about housing, and I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that, tho I haven't checked, am willing to bet neither of them is a btl landlord. Political :wub:.

No, he will just give any social housing he creates to immigrants.

Can we raise a bit of a cheer here for the JC - he and John Mcdonnell really do give one about housing, and I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that, tho I haven't checked, am willing to bet neither of them is a btl landlord. Political :wub:.

But he's a big fan of uncontrolled immigration at the same time. So like Grumpysod, I can see Corbyn (if he ever was PM) putting a lot of the "needy"(massive inverted commas) ahead of the queue - i.e. newly arrived immigrants from EU countries. I can see Labour inflating the benefits buffet more and more and more, in some demented fashion that makes you despair.

But he's a big fan of uncontrolled immigration at the same time. So like Grumpysod, I can see Corbyn (if he ever was PM) putting a lot of the "needy"(massive inverted commas) ahead of the queue - i.e. newly arrived immigrants from EU countries. I can see Labour inflating the benefits buffet more and more and more, in some demented fashion that makes you despair.

V nearly replied to grumpysod - living up to his name this morning - then didn't but there's so many of you out there, feel have to. While you lot are obsessing about how awful the poor are for us middlers, you don't look over your shoulder and up at the forces that have landed us here, where we are, scrabbling to make a living, unable to get a secure roof over our heads, hating each other. The poor are always with us, as are the rich - you assume it's the former who cost us all the money and cause us all the problems but I really don't think the figures bear you out there - e.g. no neat figures, thanks to how brilliantly the rich shroud their manky doings in mystery, but tax evasion dwarfs benefit fraud. And have you ever visited a country that doesn't have a proper social security system? Go and take a look at the States, it's horrible, wouldn't live there for all the tea in China.

V nearly replied to grumpysod - living up to his name this morning - then didn't but there's so many of you out there, feel have to. While you lot are obsessing about how awful the poor are for us middlers, you don't look over your shoulder and up at the forces that have landed us here, where we are, scrabbling to make a living, unable to get a secure roof over our heads, hating each other. The poor are always with us, as are the rich - you assume it's the former who cost us all the money and cause us all the problems but I really don't think the figures bear you out there - e.g. no neat figures, thanks to how brilliantly the rich shroud their manky doings in mystery, but tax evasion dwarfs benefit fraud. And have you ever visited a country that doesn't have a proper social security system? Go and take a look at the States, it's horrible, wouldn't live there for all the tea in China.

Tax evasion is complex so for brevity I will not reply to that comment.

I don't want to live in a country with no safety net. However letting hundreds of thousands of people come here and giving them free/cheap housing is not a good idea.

Benefit fraud is not the only problem with the benefit system. If a Spanish woman decides being a single mum in Spain is too much hard work and comes here to live off benefits, she is not committing any fraud whatsoever. (I know one who did this and lives in very nice housing).

I'm afraid this is a generational cycle. Accept we are losers in all this, and care instead for our children's future. Treat them better.

You know I quite like Corbyn...I just got absolutely sick of mock indignation at PMQs...Jeeze it used to be a competition between Balls, Mrs Balls and Miliband as to who looked the most outraged like some petulant school kid...''it's not fair''.

Corbyn is a nice guy, whatever his politics...I reckon he will win another ballot. and tbh he was very decent re. Cameron's last PMQs which rather stole the thunder from Cameron who had started off with some nasty digs.

Cameron does get the problem, he just doesn't care. Part of studying PPE is debating topics and arguing the case for them every week.

The remembrancer sits in the House of Commons making sure no one says anything nasty about the banksters in the City of London.

Private banks create our money supply, most of which is mortgages which drives up assets prices.

Debating about the welfare state imo is pointless when you look at the bigger picture.

I am one of the world biggest fans of the welfare state, the trouble with it now are the many of the people it is supposedly assisting. I have not in over 30 years of work ever had to use it, but I am and have always been grateful that it was there. I could say look back to Victorian times and maybe even read some of Charles Dickens to show how tough life was should you hit adversity in your life. Mothers fighting through the night on the street in a cold December to keep her and her children alive in the freezing cold because the man she trusted abandoned her. But this went on well into the 1950's even, probably later.

What scares me now in 2016 is that it the welfare state is so abused that it might lead to it's destruction, I have seen it with my own eyes. I have seen a certain ethnic group turning welfare abuse into an art, where property owners somehow rent there property out to X who then rents his out to Y while he lives with Z who etc etc...... As an naive Irish second generation with family who do not understand the concept of welfare abuse it is sickening. My all time favourite is the Right To Buy abuse I have seen, lets not even go there as I have my blood pressure back to 120 over 80 these days.

I have seen endless people who after 20 or 30 years or more of unbroken work finally walking into the welfare office as a last resort and after a lifetime paying into it completely lost and overlooked and more often than not abandoned because they never knew how the present day system worked, why should they as non users of the system, only to end up fighting to get back to work after illness or whatever adversity they hit, bitter for the rest of their lives of a system they actually pain into 100 fold or more that failed them for the short time they needed it.

I am not saying all welfare users are abusers and having an easy time, but I have seen many living quite nicely thank you in better housing than someone working and on £50k, and I have seen far more working victims than welfare ones.

I agree with you, although I would say change £50k to £60 or £70K.

I fear the welfare state could go the same way as the EU - people ignore calls for reform for so long that in the end it gets destroyed.

IMHO no one can make it work on a national scale. The solution which would take time, is to have it locally, with different solutions for different areas and workfare will be needed.

Why do you think rents are unaffordable? Do you think lack of supply could be the problem?

Plenty of vacant lets near me. Yet strangely no reductions in an attempt to fill them....

No supply isn't the problem.

Grumpysod

+ 100%

Yes, Cameron did not help, but he can only be accused of doing f**k all about it, Blair to me is the worst PM this country has ever seen.

He still doesn't get it either. By destroying Iraq he is resposible for so much of the carnage we have seen since and he has the gall to have built up a huge property empire since leaving office yet he's still trying to justify his actions :wub:

Grumpysod

+ 100%

He still doesn't get it either. By destroying Iraq he is resposible for so much of the carnage we have seen since and he has the gall to have built up a huge property empire since leaving office yet he's still trying to justify his actions :wub:

Yeah but he believes in the great sky fairy so along with his wife he is better than everyone else.

I agree with you, although I would say change £50k to £60 or £70K.

I fear the welfare state could go the same way as the EU - people ignore calls for reform for so long that in the end it gets destroyed.

IMHO no one can make it work on a national scale. The solution which would take time, is to have it locally, with different solutions for different areas and workfare will be needed.

What's the easiest way to get to live cheaply in London. Have several kids and live on welfare and have your rent paid on a house that would cost £600k plus to buy and require a salary of up to £150k. What's the point of working as you are no better off.

I would frankly abolish almost all welfare for those on working age who are not disabled and haven't paid in and instead spend the funds on the disabled and frail elderly needing social care. Wanna live in London - get off your backside and work for it.