Host 12.7

Accor 9

Wyndham 8.4

InterContinental 7.5

Hyatt 6.9

Starwood 5

Extended Stay 3.2

Not bad for a home start up.
Should hotels think about improving their product?

Airbnb $25.5 billion

Hilton 23.6

Marriott 18

Host 12.7

Accor 9

Wyndham 8.4

InterContinental 7.5

Hyatt 6.9

Starwood 5

Extended Stay 3.2

Not bad for a home start up.
Should hotels think about improving their product?

I had a look at airbnb prices in my area this morning, was shocked to find a month for an airbnb room was the same as renting a whole house.

I had a look at airbnb prices in my area this morning, was shocked to find a month for an airbnb room was the same as renting a whole house.

Me and the wife stayed in one in London for a couple of nights. Cheaper than a hotel with all the convenience of a flat.

I think the point is that it is a short term no commitment, hence being more expensive. The room is cleaned and keys are also handed over.

It worked really well for us. Now looking at it as an option for city breaks etc instead of a hotel.

Its only worthwhile in expensive cities at times of the year when you can't get a decent priced hotel room. The rest of the time prices seem to be fairly similar - In Edinburgh anyway.

And for a short stay they are a hassle as well. Rule books, how to switch this on, what to do if this stops working, don't open that door, make sure you blah blah blah. Never mind trying to find the place !!

I would happily consider it for a place if it made a large financial difference. Apart from that - nah. Plenty of cheap budget hotels/guesthouses available in most places around the Globe.

Edited by ccc

I've used Airbnb and liked it.

That said, Airbnb has :

no assets

no inventory

no patents

no real estate

no content

no intellectual property

no unique qualities

The valuation of $25.5 billion is straight up nuts. How can this be?

Its only worthwhile in expensive cities at times of the year when you can't get a decent priced hotel room. The rest of the time prices seem to be fairly similar - In Edinburgh anyway.

And for a short stay they are a hassle as well. Rule books, how to switch this on, what to do if this stops working, don't open that door, make sure you blah blah blah. Never mind trying to find the place !!

I would happily consider it for a place if it made a large financial difference. Apart from that - nah. Plenty of cheap budget hotels/guesthouses available in most places around the Globe.

I used it on a recent trip, and decided that it should be renamed illegallysubletting.com. The business plan seemed to be to rent a flat in an expensive city and then sublet for exorbitant profit. Rate was similar to a hotel, but I still felt like I'd been done over in some way. I don't think I'll be using it again. Edited by SpectrumFX

I used it on a recent trip, and decided that it should be renamed illegallysubletting.com. The business plan seemed to be to rent a flat in an expensive city and then sublet for exorbitant profit. Rate was similar to a hotel, but I still felt like I'd been done over in some way. I don't think I'll be using it again.

The problem for these geniuses is when everybody starts doing it. If you live in a busy popular city keep your eyes open for the wee key holders at the front door of flats. They are everywhere.

And as for people renting out a room whilst still staying there themselves - if they're not desperate for money they must be nuts.

I've used airbnb for quite a few years with only one iffy experience.

Prices have crept up in that time. In the beginning, there was a price for the apartment, not per person. So that was a big advantage over hotels. Now there are places charging for extra people.

Probably the main advantage is being able to cook, which saves a fortune on eating out. Or even having a coffee these days.

I visit Berlin quite often and was quite interested in this story: Berlin's government legislates against Airbnb

Berlin always was fairly organised for apartment lets. Craigslist was doing them for years and still are.

Can fully understand why people prefer to rent a flat (or even just a bedroom) in preference to a hotel.

Hotel rooms, no matter how luxurious, feel sterile. Plus they are always trying to scam you out of more money, whether it be internet fees or mini-bar charges.

Of course there is a slightly safer image to staying in a hotel - but I wonder which scenario is safer for money/valuables?

Only thing that would put me off staying in an Airbnb is the waiting around for the keyholder to turn up...

AirBnB is not a hotel company, it is a tech company. As far as I can tell this means it is valued assuming infinite potential growth. Maybe when growth stops the valuation will nosedive.

Speaking to a person today......set up a self contained unit, a kind of log cabin at the end of the garden, rents out through airbnb.....almost fully booked this summer they said, got some french people visiting shortly.....lots to do in area where they are with some wonderful countryside and beaches close by....key is in door they come and go as they wish, plenty of parking, welcome food pack on arrival and clean bedding and towels...... ;)

Edited by winkie

Using airbnb in Dublin in August. Expensive but no choice as hotels completely rammed. Only exec rooms available. We are family so airbnb is 40% cheaper. Kids will sleep on sofa bed. ?

As for their valuation?

Tech bubble....

. . . a person today......set up a self contained unit, a kind of log cabin at the end of the garden, rents out through airbnb.....

Has it got planning permission?

We now have agents for: Jobs, houses, local takeaways, hotels, holidays, football players, insurance, we can even get our shopping delivered via an agent ( Ocado ? ).

The UK is a country is f**kwits and spivs,

We now have agents for: Jobs, houses, local takeaways, hotels, holidays, football players, insurance, we can even get our shopping delivered via an agent ( Ocado ? ).

I think the word is apps . . .

We don't have agents anymore . . . especially travel agents.

I wonder what this landlady app is worth? It's trying for the market below airbnb . . . homestay.com

I've used Airbnb and liked it.

That said, Airbnb has :

no assets

no inventory

no patents

no real estate

no content

no intellectual property

no unique qualities

The valuation of $25.5 billion is straight up nuts. How can this be?

Because compared to hotel chains Airbnb has

No risk (well, different risks)

Ability to achieve global scale with little investment

Few competitors in its space

17 hours ago, hotairmail said:

And now Tesla is worth several $ billion more than Ford....

just for comparison, Tesla sold about 25,000 cars.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-04-03/tesla-passes-ford-by-market-value-before-musk-delivers-model-3

At the height of the dotcom bubble p.d.a. manufacturer Palm had a market value greater than Ford and General Motors combined...

45 minutes ago, zugzwang said:

At the height of the dotcom bubble p.d.a. manufacturer Palm had a market value greater than Ford and General Motors combined...

Who?

41 minutes ago, This time said:

Who?

Bought out by HP who seem to make a point of purchasing the burnt out husks of former IT behemoths such as EDS, Compaq and then losing shed loads of money on the deal. The name has been spun off again into a mobile phone business recently.