House Price Crash Forum

Lets All Work For Suma

spyguy

HOLA441

http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/analysis/inside-the-business-where-there-are-no-bosses-everyone-is-paid-the-same-and-there-is-always-a-free-lunch-1-8007854

Cards on table - I like Suma!

My sister works there, on/off -God help them.

And its nice to know that there are some different corp structures around.

But I would not like to try and manage the company.

HOLA442

The cooperative has a “flat” structure with a roster of people elected to sit on the management committee for two years. There is also a functionary coordinator team, similar to heads of department. And, remarkably, everyone is paid the same: an equal net pay rate of £11.98 per hour, which for a five-day contract (40 hours) is a gross salary of £31,981.

Wow.

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

But I would not like to try and manage the company.

Isn't that the idea ? No single person has to.

Sounds like a pretty radical but decent idea. And it seems to work. Fair dos to them.

HOLA447

I like the idea of moving about and doing different jobs.

Plenty of opportunities.

Do you have 2 ponies, a transit van, a mini quadbike, a half sister who is also your Mum, 47 cousins - and do you know anything about tarmaccing driveways ?

HOLA448

Like the idea and genuinely good luck to them.

However it does all seem a bit communist, on the one hand everybody is invested in the business, but equally you do have to consider what peoples motivations are when they are on that board, do they think to themselves, "lets take a risk and grow the business" or do they think, "well I'm alright Jack as I get my £31k regardless if I'm cutting up a tomato or chairman".

HOLA449

However it does all seem a bit communist, on the one hand everybody is invested in the business, but equally you do have to consider what peoples motivations are when they are on that board, do they think to themselves, "lets take a risk and grow the business" or do they think, "well I'm alright Jack as I get my £31k regardless if I'm cutting up a tomato or chairman".

If only people like Fred Goodwin and Paul Flowers had just stuck to cutting up tomatoes.

HOLA4410

Plenty of opportunities.

Do you have 2 ponies, a transit van, a mini quadbike, a half sister who is also your Mum, 47 cousins - and do you know anything about tarmaccing driveways ?

Begorrah! The futures green!

HOLA4411

Its not a new organisation. They're probably not that naive or green and dont employ any old SJW who turns up on the doorstep.

A look at the jobs on offer it seems it an effort to become an a full employee.

I doubt there's much need for Reiki experts. They'll be more interested in HGVers.

HOLA4412

Its not a new organisation. They're probably not that naive or green and dont employ any old SJW who turns up on the doorstep.

A look at the jobs on offer it seems it an effort to become an a full employee.

I doubt there's much need for Reiki experts. They'll be more interested in HGVers.

http://www.urban75.net/forums/threads/there-really-is-another-way-suma-wholefoods-makes-even-john-lewis-look-like-goldman-sachs.319290/

'wow. do they need a frazzled drama teacher?'

Probably not.

HOLA4413

It's been around a long time. Grown steadily but not as fast as others that entered the whole food market later.

In fact I read their interesting wiki history a couple of months back...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suma_(co-operative)

Basically explains why they didn't become the market dominating behemoth they threatened to in the 1990's. Quite simply they didn't want to....the method of expansion was to help similar independents get established across the country.

Its interesting, esp. when you compare progress to companies that have leveraged up.

Some worked. Some blew up.

Maybe Suma will slowly scale up?

Looking at the path to being a member it seems you have to work your ****** off and be able to do a range of different jobs. I guess that would clear out 99.999% of the delicate SJW flowers.

The only members who dont swap jobs are the IT people.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416

The cooperative has a “flat” structure with a roster of people elected to sit on the management committee for two years. There is also a functionary coordinator team, similar to heads of department. And, remarkably, everyone is paid the same: an equal net pay rate of £11.98 per hour, which for a five-day contract (40 hours) is a gross salary of £31,981.

Wow.

Really?? That would look pretty good around here: ample to buy a house or rent somewhere nice. Doubt it would go so far in London.

Couldn't stand working in their shops myself, though. That dreadful muzak blasting out all day!

HOLA4417
HOLA4418

Suma is a great example how the world would work without the sponging 'elites'.

If this was more commonplace we would all be far better off.

I think Suma is a bit more hard nosed then you are assuming.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420

Not heard of it at all, but an interesting idea, although not one I'd be particularly interested in doing (if there's a chance of having to do any sort of management I'd run a mile). That it seems to be working knocks some of my cynicism on its head (whilst proving other bits).

HOLA4421

Not heard of it at all, but an interesting idea, although not one I'd be particularly interested in doing (if there's a chance of having to do any sort of management I'd run a mile). That it seems to be working knocks some of my cynicism on its head (whilst proving other bits).

Hey, it may be a fine thing, but don't let it knock that cynicism.

A lot of such things work well for some. Like hippie communes. Doesn't mean the majority would stand for them.

Archived