House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JoeDavola

Nintendo Share Price Jumps 36% In 2 Days

Now this is interesting:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-36762791

I used to be a gamer 20+ years ago when Nintendo was a big name. Ever since the N64 days it's been getting worse and worse, and I was surprised to hear that they're making a successor to the Wii-U since it was such a failure...I figured they'd do a Sega as far as home consoles go and just drop out of the market.

But now they've released a Pokemon game for smartphones, an Augmented Reality version of it where you 'catch' the Pokemon in and around the place where you live. I can see this making a ridiculous amount of money for them; just watched a couple of videos on YouTube of people playing it and whilst the gameplay is quite shallow it's the addictive nature of it, all those little dopamine boosts, that will keep people coming back and keep them spending.

It's only available in US, Australia and New Zealand at the moment, but when they open it up to the rest of the world it's gonna be nuts I reckon.

Should we all be buying Nintendo stock then?

1.png

Top: All data chart.

Below: 3 year chart.

It hasn't paid a dividend since 2011. It's making a 1 year high, it might be worth a look, and see if it can use $20 as a base for new growth.

I suspect old brands are making a come back, as people don't want to take risks in developing new products which may not be successful - Lego is private, but all their stuff is everywhere these days.

Now this is interesting:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-36762791

I used to be a gamer 20+ years ago when Nintendo was a big name. Ever since the N64 days it's been getting worse and worse, and I was surprised to hear that they're making a successor to the Wii-U since it was such a failure...I figured they'd do a Sega as far as home consoles go and just drop out of the market.

But now they've released a Pokemon game for smartphones, an Augmented Reality version of it where you 'catch' the Pokemon in and around the place where you live. I can see this making a ridiculous amount of money for them; just watched a couple of videos on YouTube of people playing it and whilst the gameplay is quite shallow it's the addictive nature of it, all those little dopamine boosts, that will keep people coming back and keep them spending.

It's only available in US, Australia and New Zealand at the moment, but when they open it up to the rest of the world it's gonna be nuts I reckon.

Should we all be buying Nintendo stock then?

It seems pretty awesome. One of my sons has been out walking all week looking for Pokemon and my eldest was on a live stream with his friend in New York last yesterday. His cyber friend was out in the car with his mother and they stopped at some lights. He filmed all these people walking back and forth looking for Pokemon. T'was dead funny (if you like that sort of thing).

It's going to be huge.

US and UK markets are in a bull - this could triple easily this year from hear. I had not heard of it - damn.

Damn because I had been keeping an eye on Nintendo for a few years post-Wii but they just did nothing.

So let me get this straight - you go about trying to find Pokemon's - that are really just made up gps numbers ?

Massive gap up this morning from just under 21 bucks to 28 bucks. Be interesting to see whether it retraces some of that in the coming days.

Longer term, I'm thinking that mobile gaming is here to stay, and that these games that suck up endless amounts of peoples time have proven popular and that's not gonna change either.

In this regard, Nintendo have three bits of intellectual property that's are still engraved in the minds of gamers everywhere - Pokemon, Zelda, and Mario.

Imagine the money they could make from an endless Zelda RPG; a big MMO type thing.

I'm tempted to add a bit of excitement to my life and throw 10 grand into Nintendo shares.

If anyone has a trading account can you look tomorrow, when US markets are open, at what you get offered to buy United States Steel - 'X' is the ticker - please.

I had it down in April/May at around $12.95 as going to $28 this summer. It is now $20.00.

Problem is my trading platform, Selftrade, shows me the full price to buy the stock on any given day, whatever it is, but the sell price they are offering is 50% - yes, 50% - of the price. That is just crazy.

It is the only US stock that I am seeing like this so I can't figure out why there is such a gap - perhaps there is simply not the demand on their UK platform for it?

Obviously, I have not bought any but I am wondering if I did buy some, and then try to sell, whether I would then get a more sensible/realistic price.

Longer term, I'm thinking that mobile gaming is here to stay, and that these games that suck up endless amounts of peoples time have proven popular and that's not gonna change either.

In this regard, Nintendo have three bits of intellectual property that's are still engraved in the minds of gamers everywhere - Pokemon, Zelda, and Mario.

Imagine the money they could make from an endless Zelda RPG; a big MMO type thing.

I'm tempted to add a bit of excitement to my life and throw 10 grand into Nintendo shares.

I think you need to look historically at Nintendo stock and see that it does b*gger all for years and then, when they have must have device, the stock soars. That happened with the Wii and it happened again today.

Problem is, after the Wii came and went the stock crashed down and went nowhere until today - that is about 8 or 9 years of doing nothing.

If you recall, after the Wii they came out with another device - can't recall what it was now - that was supposed to be brilliant and it did nothing. Died a death.

The stock gapped up today and often stocks that gap up eventually close that gap - that is what happened in April 2015 and the gap closed last January. The same thing might happen now or, well, it could triple from here.

At the moment the stock is over-bought - well, it would be. I would not be chasing here personally. I would wait for the news to pass and see what happens.

I think you need to look historically at Nintendo stock and see that it does b*gger all for years and then, when they have must have device, the stock soars. That happened with the Wii and it happened again today.

Problem is, after the Wii came and went the stock crashed down and went nowhere until today - that is about 8 or 9 years of doing nothing.

If you recall, after the Wii they came out with another device - can't recall what it was now - that was supposed to be brilliant and it did nothing. Died a death.

The stock gapped up today and often stocks that gap up eventually close that gap - that is what happened in April 2015 and the gap closed last January. The same thing might happen now or, well, it could triple from here.

At the moment the stock is over-bought - well, it would be. I would not be chasing here personally. I would wait for the news to pass and see what happens.

I think it'll be interesting to see how Nintendo's next home console goes - the Wii-U looked ridiculous and I'm not surprised it was a failure. I think the smartest thing for Nintendo to do would be to get out of the home console market and make their big games available to the Sony/Microsoft consoles, and go all in on mobile gaming.

Nintendo have had a shrinking part of the console market for the last 20 years or so - the Wii was a freak occurrence; if they're to stand a chance with the next console they'll have to do something similarly 'different', but I can't imagine what it will be.

I think it'll be interesting to see how Nintendo's next home console goes - the Wii-U looked ridiculous and I'm not surprised it was a failure. I think the smartest thing for Nintendo to do would be to get out of the home console market and make their big games available to the Sony/Microsoft consoles, and go all in on mobile gaming.

Nintendo have had a shrinking part of the console market for the last 20 years or so - the Wii was a freak occurrence; if they're to stand a chance with the next console they'll have to do something similarly 'different', but I can't imagine what it will be.

Virtual reality in some form I suspect.

Virtual reality in some form I suspect.

See that's what I was wondering. That's the only hardware related thing they could do. Either virtual reality, or some sort of integration with mobile gaming. Or both.

For some reason my gut is telling me it won't be VR, but I'd really like it to be.

Of course, let's not forget Nintendo's first foray into VR!:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_Boy

I've been reading a topic on reddit from those who bought the GearVR headset (the one that uses a mobile phone as the display), and most people are saying that they stopped using it after a couple of weeks and it's just gathering dust now, because of a lack of interesting software.

So VR harware is meaningless without someone doing something interesting with it.

If Nintendo were to create a VR console that actually had innovative uses of VR, and which also paired with mobile gaming i.e. you could continue to play the games 'on the go' via your mobile, that could be interesting.

Because you can do this on a small device, I predict people will try to do it whilst driving. :huh:

It chicken and the egg. No one is going to create expensive content until there is a mass market for it and the hardware is currently very expensive and not very good.

I will not be an early adopter in buying VR. A friend got one with a Samsung phone and was excited with it for a week. Then she lost interest.

It chicken and the egg. No one is going to create expensive content until there is a mass market for it and the hardware is currently very expensive and not very good.

I will not be an early adopter in buying VR. A friend got one with a Samsung phone and was excited with it for a week. Then she lost interest.

I got the impression that the hardware was quite good at the moment; but I'm surprised nobody's made a 'killer app' yet - not even something where you can load up netflix and watch it while sitting in a big virtual theatre?

EDIT: just googled it and there is something like that - Occulus Cinema - seems to be a bit locked down to certain content maybe. Or maybe it's just something that's cool once or twice but most people just to back to their TV after a few goes.

EDIT AGAIN: Apparently you can still see pixels on the screen so it's no fun to watch a full length 2 hour movie on it. TV wins.

I think the fact that many are getting bored of the GearVR shows that it's not necessarily a given that VR will become mainstream.

I got the impression that the hardware was quite good at the moment; but I'm surprised nobody's made a 'killer app' yet - not even something where you can load up netflix and watch it while sitting in a big virtual theatre?

I think the fact that many are getting bored of the GearVR shows that it's not necessarily a given that VR will become mainstream.

A lot of people are still burnt having bought 3D TVs. Then curved Tvs. Even the stupidest people eventually figure things out.