House Price Crash Forum

Pro-Eu Labour And Tory Mps Look At Forming A New Centrist Party

Setantii

HOLA441
HOLA442

Blue Labour and Red Tories banding together to form a new 'Centrist' party?!

Perhaps they should name it The Neo-Liberal Party, or maybe the 'Establishment' Party?

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/...-tory-mps-talk

..sounds like a band of elitists trying to stop democracy....suggest they emigrate to Noth Korea ....political climate will suit them...... :rolleyes:

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

Very hard for this to happen under first past the post. The flip side of FPTP giving big majorities to parties who win 35% of the vote is 3rd and smaller parties get very few seats relative to vote share, as the SDP discovered in the 1983 general election (Wikipedia):

In the 1983 general election, the SDP–Liberal Alliance won more than 25% of the national vote, close behind Labour's 28%, but well behind the 44% secured by the Conservatives. However, because of the first-past-the-post electoral system used in the United Kingdom, only 23 Alliance MPs were elected, six of whom were members of the SDP.

How many of those Labour and Tory 'moderates' (or whatever they want to call themselves) would be willing to give up their safe seats for almost certain electoral oblivion?

There is probably room in the range of public opinion for half a dozen UK parties (plus the Scot/Wal/NI nats) but FPTP is preventing that from emerging, hence the huge rifts in both major parties.

Edited by Dorkins

HOLA448

I think having more parties is a good thing.

Sometimes there is simply to much negativity and vitriol on HPC to be credible.

If FPTP then becomes an issue, it can be changed.

While I voted out, I do think that a Centrist LabCon 'remain' party would get a lot of votes. I'd certainly find it hard to vote for Mrs BTL.

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411

If FPTP then becomes an issue, it can be changed.

Now that Labour have lost Scotland I guess it will be changed as there is now only one party capable of forming a single party government under FPTP: the Tories. When they eventually lose their Parliamentary majority (GE2025?) the other parties may come together to reform the electoral system.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

Lets call them the LibLabCon party?

+1

All it needs now is for them to register the name to make it official. They're just admitting the political reality of the past few years and decades with people effectively having no real choice to vote for..

It's probably a good thing as it allows people to identify a lot of the political deceivers and vote them right out of politics.

Edited by billybong

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
Guest TheBlueCat

If Leadsom wins the leadership contest that could easily split the parliamentary party.

I don't see it myself. Leadsom isn't any more extreme vs. the rest of the parliamentary party than IDS was during his time as leader and they didn't split then. The choice - and this is just the same as for Labour MPs at the moment - is to stay within the party and have a very good chance of re-election in 2020 or to walk away and most likely lose their seats. Forming a whole new political movement with the kind of funding and on the ground support needed to campaign effectively during a GE takes years (just look at how long UKIP took to get going properly) not mention a ton of cash. Note how the last lot to try this ended up merging with the Liberals rather than going it alone long term.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

Establishment Party, Like.

The 'establishment' still actually looks better than an extreme right wing God bothering thick **** with a load of violent nationalist support behind her. The politics of the right have been proper basket case politics so far.

HOLA4418

I don't see it myself. Leadsom isn't any more extreme vs. the rest of the parliamentary party than IDS was during his time as leader and they didn't split then. The choice - and this is just the same as for Labour MPs at the moment - is to stay within the party and have a very good chance of re-election in 2020 or to walk away and most likely lose their seats. Forming a whole new political movement with the kind of funding and on the ground support needed to campaign effectively during a GE takes years (just look at how long UKIP took to get going properly) not mention a ton of cash. Note how the last lot to try this ended up merging with the Liberals rather than going it alone long term.

I don't think the issue is one of extremeness so much as it is one of capability, credibility and sound judgement. Also, IDS wasn't being promoted directly to Prime Minister during a period of crucial international negotiations which could define this country for a generation or more.

HOLA4419

The 'establishment' still actually looks better than an extreme right wing God bothering thick **** with a load of violent nationalist support behind her. The politics of the right have been proper basket case politics so far.

They're missing you over at the Guardian already.

HOLA4420
Guest TheBlueCat

I think this idea is now dead in the water. With May as PM by the end of the week the Tories will be ripping into the stinking corpse of Labour and looking at a whopping majority at the next GE. There's zero chance of any of them walking away from that to join a new party with a big chance of losing their seat. I still think Labour might split.

HOLA4421

I think this idea is now dead in the water. With May as PM by the end of the week the Tories will be ripping into the stinking corpse of Labour and looking at a whopping majority at the next GE. There's zero chance of any of them walking away from that to join a new party with a big chance of losing their seat. I still think Labour might split.

A whopping majority?

The next GE will be around 2020, when we'll still be in the EU. Are the 17M people who voted for us to Leave all going to have changed their minds by then and let it slide? I don't think so. She'll get annihilated.

HOLA4422

..yeah...what do you call Corbyn's politics....?..... :rolleyes:

HOLA4423

What's the Tory plan to appeal to people who don't own houses and don't have nice DB pensions? I don't see one.

HOLA4424
Guest TheBlueCat

What's the Tory plan to appeal to people who don't own houses and don't have nice DB pensions? I don't see one.

Their only plan is not to be Labour, I'm very sure that will be enough. People forget that the Tories weren't exactly popular under Thatcher, it was mainly that Labour was a sh1t-show that won it for them.

Edited by TheBlueCat

HOLA4425
Guest TheBlueCat

A whopping majority?

The next GE will be around 2020, when we'll still be in the EU. Are the 17M people who voted for us to Leave all going to have changed their minds by then and let it slide? I don't think so. She'll get annihilated.

I wish that were so, but don't hold your breath. Those 17M people are not going to vote for Corbyn whatever happens. They may go to any of the others parties but FPTP ensures that the single party that has its act together the most wins.

I don't think this would be a good result for the country at all, but it's what's going to happen unless Labour magically finds a serious leader from somewhere and gets rid of Corbyn.