House Price Crash Forum
kman

Anybody Know About Prices In Scraborough?

Don't live in Scraborough myself but have in-laws there who have been advising me to invest in a BTL or modenisation project. Anybody know a bit more about the area and what's going on there?

Don't live in Scraborough myself but have in-laws there who have been advising me to invest in a BTL or modenisation project. Anybody know a bit more about the area and what's going on there?

since they´re advising you to invest, I assume they know something about it? I.e. they´ve done some research or something, and are not just relying on blind hope?

since they´re advising you to invest, I assume they know something about it? I.e. they´ve done some research or something, and are not just relying on blind hope?

Well, there must be a first time for everything. Most people seem to want to invest in property without knowing a damn thing about it. :(

If it's a BTL, find out what you can rent it out for, if the annual rent is less than 8% of the annual purchase price forget about it.

It would take a brave man (or woman) to invest in Scabby.

There are only 2 things that hold it's economy up: Public sector spending and McCains.

If mcCains go then Scabby if f*cked. I think McCains will go to Poland in a year or so.

Look at Brid, 10 miles down the cost. Untl very recently Brid had loads of food processing - Sara Lee cakes, Cranswick sausages, etc. They have all closed in the last couple of years. The economy is taking.

Scabby will be the same but a lot worse.

It would take a brave man (or woman) to invest in Scabby.

There are only 2 things that hold it's economy up: Public sector spending and McCains.

If mcCains go then Scabby if f*cked. I think McCains will go to Poland in a year or so.

Look at Brid, 10 miles down the cost. Untl very recently Brid had loads of food processing - Sara Lee cakes, Cranswick sausages, etc. They have all closed in the last couple of years. The economy is taking.

Scabby will be the same but a lot worse.

What's happening to the Brid economy, is it going down is this reflected in the housing market? I thought scarborough's main attraction was the tourism. I've noticed many b&b's for sale and a lot of property coming on to the market at reduced rates.

The Brid economy, or rather, the larger Wolds (Brid to Goole) food processing industry has tanked.

Does tourism = jobs. Yes, if you are local couciller wanting to get public to fund your cractpot little scheme, or buy some elaboratley connected backhander deal. No, if you are actually working in tourism.

Lets face, in the UK, and espceially this far North, tourism gives you 5 months of work at minium wage. Why do you think all the workers (bar the lovely women at the Harbour Bar Cafe) are such a bunch of miserable tw*ts?

Nope, in Scabby tourism has always been a way to top people's benefit.

I find B+B as a business laughable.

At the moment (but not in the future) a B+B requires a !huge! amount of capital.

All for £25/head peak season. Can;t get another job because you have to do breakfasts til 10am and then have to be back for 5pm. These days B+Bs are set-up by people who cannot do the sums, thats why there are always a lot of B+Bs for sale - can't pay the banks.

I should point out you could make money from toursim in Scabby until about 77ish. After that people started to sod off to Spain. Seriously, have you seen how much it would cost for a family of 4 to go on their hols for 2 weeks in August? It's cheaper to go to Florida!

Does tourism = jobs. Yes, if you are local couciller wanting to get public to fund your cractpot little scheme,

I should point out you could make money from toursim in Scabby until about 77ish. After that people started to sod off to Spain. Seriously, have you seen how much it would cost for a family of 4 to go on their hols for 2 weeks in August? It's cheaper to go to Florida!

I used to live Scarborough as a kid in the 70s. When I go back in the summer it still seems rather busy.

Even Atlantis was heaving in August this year.

I find B+B as a business laughable.

At the moment (but not in the future) a B+B requires a !huge! amount of capital.

All for £25/head peak season. Can;t get another job because you have to do breakfasts til 10am and then have to be back for 5pm. These days B+Bs are set-up by people who cannot do the sums, thats why there are always a lot of B+Bs for sale - can't pay the banks.

Not a very commercial approach to B+B. I understand that the real money is to be made letting rooms to the council for use by the homeless and asylum seekers.

Scabby DOES have a lot of flop houses.

Walk in a street in from the B+B's called DunRoaming, IvanHoe and you are soon in a twilight area of wierd and wonderful. Not sure there is that much money in it. True, you do not have to get up at 6am to make the 'Full English' Instead you have a bunch of Westy Smack heads selling the floorboards and running a string of under age prossies...

The worst areas are residential - try EastField or Barrowcliffe after dark.

The Atlantis pool did not open til very late this year. The council painted it the wrong shade of blue - dont ask.

I !DO! like the North Bay. The walk down from the Scalby Mills pub to the Corner Cafe is great.

Unfortunately, the council + private contractors are 'redeveloping' that area. The land which had Marvel's Funparks (loved the dangly ride thing) is going to turned into Hotels and Housing.

Expect the normal SBC snouts in the trough.