House Price Crash Forum

Brands And Quality

MrPin

HOLA441

I'm not! My bathroom is horrible! :blink: I'm just a bloke, and I think nothing of having a half built axle in my bathroom. :huh:

I can imagine......seen some real grotty fridges in my time, seals gone brown,crusty milk stains, mouldy food....microwaves that don't look they have ever been cleaned, dirty plates and cups hanging about, dirty socks amd other clothes on floor..various tools and other equipment over the place, bathrooms won't go there ...some people live in chaos, others live in pristine order.....we are all different thank goodness, otherwise we would all be wanting the same things.;)

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442

I can imagine......seen some real grotty fridges in my time, seals gone brown,crusty milk stains, mouldy food....microwaves that don't look they have ever been cleaned, dirty plates and cups hanging about, dirty socks amd other clothes on floor..various tools and other equipment over the place, bathrooms won't go there ...some people live in chaos, others live in pristine order.....we are all different thank goodness, otherwise we would all be wanting the same things. ;)

Do you have a picture of my house? I'm sure I could live up to that model of a "fine gentleman". I am a bit untidy. I put that down to being "musical"!

HOLA443

I'm not a big spender either. I have most of the "things" I want. Things that last. I am immensely proud of my 50s style ED209 style vacuum cleaner, Also, this year, I bought a saxophone with my tax rebate. It's a Yamaha, and talking of brands, I don't think I've ever seen anything dud with Yamaha written on it. Now that is some brand. But I think some of the (perceived) quality car manufacturers are losing it, along with clothes and shoes brands! :o

Agree about Yamaha. Had three of their bikes over the years.

I'm toying with the idea of getting another Yamaha. Sadly, these days, it's an accoustic guitar I'm looking at :(. Seems highly rated though!

HOLA444

Agree about Yamaha. Had three of their bikes over the years.

I'm toying with the idea of getting another Yamaha. Sadly, these days, it's an accoustic guitar I'm looking at :(. Seems highly rated though!

I think you are OK with them. Nylon or steel? They will be chinese made, still I reckon you can't go wrong with them.

HOLA445

Do you have a picture of my house? I'm sure I could live up to that model of a "fine gentleman". I am a bit untidy. I put that down to being "musical"!

Must be your creative streak showing......btw have you ever had an instrument made for you in particular a guitar.;)

HOLA446

I traded in my Citroen Xsara Picasso for a 10 year old BMW 3 Series, pristine inside and out, full service history and half book mileage. Best 3k I've ever spent (absolute bargain), I'll never buy a crap car ever again.

In other brand related news: I can only eat HP brown sauce and I will only ever buy Adidas sports gear, except for running shoes where I only ever buy Saucony.

HOLA447

Must be your creative streak showing......btw have you ever had an instrument made for you in particular a guitar. ;)

No I just buy what I see on the shelf! My hands are normal sized and I don't need a "special" instrument! :blink:

HOLA448

You'll be wanting a proper man's vacuum cleaner like mine then. Not a Dyson.

Not sure what it is mate - our lass takes care of such matters.

But to hopefully add something to your thread, I just consulted her. Apparently it's an Electrolux.

I then asked her if that was good or bad value, and she replied "Neither really - just the only one I could get for the 45 quid you gave me to replace the knackered one...!"

XYY

HOLA449

Good:

Samsung

LG

BMW

Bosch

Henry Hoover

Disappointing / not worth the price:

Heinz Baked Beans

Anything by Cadburys now

M&S food and clothing

Sony

Mercedes

Apple products

License fee

Hunter Boots

Beats by Dre

Porsche

Amazon Prime

Fairy Dishwasher Tablets

Finish Dishwasher Tablets

Any branded Dishwasher Tablets

Dyson

Own brand ASOS stuff

Anything marked "Product of the year"

CHALLENGE!!!!!!

Finish dishwasher tablets are superior - you just need to make sure you only buy Quantum tablets on promotion i.e. never pay more than 20p per tablet.

On a quality note - Tag watches look nice but mechanical quality nothing special. Dyson Airblade - now that is brilliant (once you figure out you have to pull your hands through very slowly scraping the water off). For electricals although I'm very Bosched out, I'm slightly warey of disappointing standards after a Bosch dishwasher failure (replaced with another Bosch, natch). I'll throw out that I think Panasonic is decent?

HOLA4410

20p a tab! You must be made of money. I wait for the 14p mark to be breached and then I "back up the truck" (well, the cargo bicycle trailer).

HOLA4411

Another vote for Henry Hoover, absolutely quality product. Still made in the UK I think?

Bosch are awful these days. I bought a Bosch hedge trimmer, stopped working so I had it replaced, stopped working again so I took it to bits and the insides were just cheap, awful nasty components. I put it down to a one-off and bought a Bosch Iron. Rubbish. I only haven't replaced it because I told my wife I'd take charge of buying electrical cause she only ever bought shite.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414

I'd echo that. Used to live in these before going to university. Had a couple of pairs, lasted years.

Recently bought pair of British army goretex army boots, cost about £30. Totally indestructible, so far lasted 4 years not a bit of wear on them

On that note, what happened to all the army surplus stores there used to be?

HOLA4415

My weber BBQ is still perfect after 8 years mostly left out in the rain. My parents have had two cheap Argos ones rust away in that time.

I see your weber and raise it to a 17 year old Ducane still looking good (and yes, lives outside all year round)

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419

Steinway & Sons still make a decent piano.

Pianos are virtually worthless now. Once the "entertainment system" of its day. My (not imaginary) uncle had a couple of Steinways, but he had a big house! Still had to take the windows out to get the b8ggers in. I make do with an electronic Yamaha stage piano.

HOLA4420

All bought up by HPC survivalists?

HOLA4421

The phrase I remember from my childhood from parents who were not particularly well off is "too poor to buy cheap". They have a carpet in the front room, must be over 30 years old but still looks good. Someone who fits and sells carpets for a living said that you cannot buy that quality now on the high street. So, guess from this example, buying quality is worth it as buying cheap, would have had half dozen carpets in that time.

Otoh, it can get boring when nothing changes

Same experience- I've got a student BTL (don't hiss; it's a crappy house with a jerry-built extension and virtually no garden) whose carpet (INCLUDING the stair carpet) has had 20 years use by 6 students and STILL has no holes or bald patches. A tradesman doing some work there commented that if you could buy it today it would be about £90 per sq metre. Pity it's a ghastly royal blue, but the students seem to be happy thaat if they drop yet another vindaloo on it they aren't going to get their deposits docked....

HOLA4422

Went into big warehouses and online; though I know a couple locally.

Looking online there is huge variation in prices with some very expensive; British Military Surplus is the best priced that I've found but they have a limited range.

Henry Hoover (though they don't like you calling it that) is indeed still made in Chard; the birthplace of powered flight.

HOLA4423
HOLA4424

Dyson?

For some reason people get moist over a vacuum cleaner that looks like it's made of effing Lego.

Not me! Mine looks like ED209. :) And Dick Jones runs OCP.

HOLA4425

Pianos are virtually worthless now. Once the "entertainment system" of its day. My (not imaginary) uncle had a couple of Steinways, but he had a big house! Still had to take the windows out to get the b8ggers in. I make do with an electronic Yamaha stage piano.

My imaginary uncle had an imaginary air piano. I imagine he made my Aunt operate the bellows.

Archived