House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MrPin

Brands And Quality

I can't decide whether I'm a proper HPC frugalista, or a twit who buys posh brands, just to look flash. :blink:

Has anyone here bought anything posh and found it to be "not terribly good"?

Alternatively, does anyone here avoid posh brands at all costs, even though it's a bargain.

What brands represent quality, and which are overpriced tat?

Let's begin.

I thought Nikon cameras were overpriced plonker bait until I bought one.

I've never bought a BMW, even though I know they work well.

I'm happy to get t shirts from Primark.

When is the "label" more valueable than the actual item?

Discuss!

Actually I raised the subject as I was watching daytime TV (sadly), and was watching some twit trying to sell "immenselely posh" trainers. Which are basically plimsoles, or pumps, depending how far north you are.

Recently went back to McVities Digestives - cheaper, own brands don't taste as nice.

Brand worshipper! :wacko:

Actually, they all taste like baked horse poo!

Actually I raised the subject as I was watching daytime TV (sadly), and was watching some twit trying to sell "immenselely posh" trainers. Which are basically plimsoles, or pumps, depending how far north you are.

Converse?

Not really suited to our climate most of the year.. Wouldn't say "fashion" brands represent good quality though. My experience of this was Levi jeans. Went through a period of buying them thinking they'd last longer being a "quality brand". They didn't, in fact one pair barely lasted a year but I think that was just a one-off bad pair.

Converse?

Not really suited to our climate most of the year.. Wouldn't say "fashion" brands represent good quality though. My experience of this was Levi jeans. Went through a period of buying them thinking they'd last longer being a "quality brand". They didn't, in fact one pair barely lasted a year but I think that was just a one-off bad pair.

Now Levi is exactly the thing I am talking about. It's a known name, and you expect quality.

I went to America once, and bought Levis. They were very good quality. Are they selling lesser stuff now?

Now Levi is exactly the thing I am talking about. It's a known name, and you expect quality.

I went to America once, and bought Levis. They were very good quality. Are they selling lesser stuff now?

They're no longer made in the USA. The company is offshoring everything it can. All that'll be left in the US will be brand management.

They're no longer made in the USA. The company is offshoring everything it can. All that'll be left in the US will be brand management.

Yes. an ex GF worked for Levi, in Scotland. They "let her go". This is what I mean about "brands".

Yes. an ex GF worked for Levi, in Scotland. They "let her go". This is what I mean about "brands".

All the manufacture is done by factories in Asia which tender for the work. It's just how things are done these days. You're better off buying unbranded clothing, the quality is likely to be the same but without the marketing tariff added to the price.

All the manufacture is done by factories in Asia which tender for the work. It's just how things are done these days. You're better off buying unbranded clothing, the quality is likely to be the same but without the marketing tariff added to the price.

Now that is exactly what I am talking about.

​Bearing in mind the love of motorcycles (and the zen of maintenance) that is relevant here...

​What is "quality"?

Personal experience with jeans is that levis were good, but then they were vastly more expensive than other versions of jeans. The cost thing pushed to look for "better" (cheaper) options.

Unfortunately, never really found a jeans option on offer that enabled me to not have to go shopping so frequently as buying some levis. Maybe they're, after all, "quality"?

With Levis there seem to be two distinct markets and products even though they appear to be the same - a high quality/higher priced version found in expensive fashion shops, and a budget version seemingly made of cheese cloth found in the likes of SportsDirect. I have a pair of Levis which must be nearly 30 years old. I seriously regret relegating them to painting duty about three years ago on the grounds of them looking a bit faded. Especially as I've since had jeans which have been outlasted by them.

Genuinely hard to say what's worth paying for nowadays. I recently picked up a bunch of M&S jeans for a fiver a pair (down from £40). No idea how long to expect them to last based on that pricing. Were they only ever worth a fiver? Or are they somewhat middle range at £40?

I do fairly consistently buy Apple on the basis that their products are usually somewhat better designed, supported, longer lasting and you can get your money back without quibble if you try it for a couple of weeks and don't like it. The watch is poor though, the pebble is much better thought through, and considerably cheaper too.

The frugal approach is to buy "good" brands but secondhand. I do this for Rohan - because again I have Rohans which are more than 20 years old (and some have had daily use for 3-4 years before being retired as work wear). Ditto furniture.

So brands worth paying extra for (or buying secondhand!):

Rohan (trousers only)

Apple

Shimano Deore bicycle components.

Clarkes

Lenovo Thinkpad series

Amazon - variable quality, but excellent customer service

Cheaper/often surprisingly good
Aldi

Lidl

Home Bargains

Home brand electronics - Bush, Technika, Polaroid TVs/blu-ray players

Brands not worth paying extra for:

Shimano Deore XTR

M&S

Most supermarket extra special snowflake lines

The chances are if a once upon a time quality brand has been bought out by a multi national it is no longer the brand it once was.....IMO.

Good list SSC.

I would demur on Clarke's shoes but it depends why you have them in there.

Their shoes are very soft and comfortable but the flip side is that I wore through the last pair of office shoes in about a year when I typically get three or more years from a pair.

I try not to buy too cheap. You get what you pay for, also think about the employees at the other end of the chain.

At one end you have the A****n warehouse workers and S****s Direct, then at the other end you have Waitrose and John Lewis. I try to shop in the middle, maybe above middle where possible if I have money spare. Happy employees = happy economy.

Eggs is also the other thing - I don't buy eggs from caged hens.

----

Think about luggage tags, I saw an article in a relatives's Daily Mail, which had about 12 compared, not that I would buy a luggage tag.

The cheapest one was like £6.50 from Acessorize, and the most expensive was from Burberry for £200+

Ah I found the article http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-3672670/Life-s-little-luxuries.html

35B83BFB00000578-3672670-image-m-7_14675

£215!

The phrase I remember from my childhood from parents who were not particularly well off is "too poor to buy cheap". They have a carpet in the front room, must be over 30 years old but still looks good. Someone who fits and sells carpets for a living said that you cannot buy that quality now on the high street. So, guess from this example, buying quality is worth it as buying cheap, would have had half dozen carpets in that time.

Otoh, it can get boring when nothing changes

It is sometimes worth buying quality, stuff you know you want to use and keep for a long time but it is not in the interest of business they sell quality but want turnover, repeat sales....so what you get is quality while it lasts.;)

Otoh, it can get boring when nothing changes

I said similar when told yesterday that David Beckham's son had just passed his driving test and was bought a brand new Merc.

I think he's really missed out. Those early old bangers are great fun: scrapes and dents don't matter plus you get to try your hand at some basic maintenance.

Honda motorcycles (and cars) have always been money well spent for me.

Still using my 750 I bought in 1988!

MishMash jeans are also a revelation. Amazing quality.

Good to know. You're actually not the first person I've heard that from about the motorcycles this week. My son took his CBT on the weekend and is looking for a Honda 125. He wasn't sure if he should take a warranty on it but from what I've heard they aren't very problematic so it may be a waste of money.

+ I've got an old Mercedes - fantastic quality everywhere. But that is a Daimler Benz, not a (1998 on) Daimler Chrysler - dunno about those.

+ Thinkpads are excellent. Really do last years. Even the current lot (using a thinkpad x1 at the moment).

+ The quality of the major Linux OS types is very good these days - better than MS OS which just last night lost me a bit of work because it just decided to update something without even asking.

- For years I bought Nike Pegasus running shoes. They fitted my foot and style, and lasted ages. The last two pairs I bought were falling to bits in about 6 months (thought the first was just a bad pair. Second pair sealed it). I'm now going through the alternatives. Trying Salomon now - seem to be outlasting Nike.

Or "daps". But I don't know the regionality - it's just what my mother used to call them.

I'm disappointed you've not mentioned Lexus pinny.

You pays a little more than the rest, but then if you maintain yourself you'll never visit a garage in your life.

Lidl deluxe meat is another. Cheaper than my local butchers but British meat and the steak tastes amazing (compared the the mults meat where it tastes like it's been tortured to death).

Even their normal range of meat is great 1,5 kg of top rump for £8 and it's very tender.

Shoes are a funny one. I've bought work boots - steel capped - that have lasted donkies. Yet I've consistently bought the same cheap £5 smart ones for office days that only last a year. Maybe I should splash out on a pair that last longer.

Recently went back to McVities Digestives - cheaper, own brands don't taste as nice.

Conversely, Lidl faux McVities Gingernuts are better than the original. I don't buy them often as they are "packet in one sitting" good.

I suspect that brands that were once reliable but are no longer is an entire category in its own right.

Probably starting with all the Sports Direct owned stuff.

Dunlop,

Slazenger,

Lillywhites,

Karrimore,

LA Gear,

Muddy Fox,

No Fear.

etc

On outsourcing generally, the clearest example must be Hunter boots. I had a pair that lasted 25 years and replaced them recently. They were shite and fell apart within 18 months. On investigation, it seems they do their manufacturing in China these days.