House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
lagos36

House Prices In North Wales

In May this year I was thinking of buying a house in my home town of Rhyl,every sreet I went down there was a forest of for sale signs,I looked on the internet and saw that a house valued at £120,000 now would have cost me £40,000 in 2001,this put me off buying and I decided to wait and see what happened.I have looked again recently at the houses I was thinking of buying ,they are still for sale at the same price,some of the estate agents I visited ring me regularly to see if I am still interested in buying,sounds like they are desperate.I,ll just sit tight and see how it pans out.Are their any others out there with similar experiences in their neck of the woods?

I'm also in North Wales and I've also noticed that houses just aren't budging. I saw a article somewhere recently saying that Halifax said that houses had raised over 30% in Holyhead this year but other local estate agents were disagreeing with those figures.

Houses have also doubled where I live but the money isn't here anymore for people to be able to afford them, especially the ftb. Hold tight, something has to give.

Edited by tiff

Just scanned through fish4homes for Carmarthenshire ( S Wales) - many properties have been on for a very long time - not budging down here either.

Edited by gruffydd

It's the old "ludicrous expectations" again. The house next door to my parents has been for sale for about two years and no-one ever seems to look at it. Could be because, for an ordinary 4 bed detached in North Wales, complete with towering electricity pylon in the garden, a shade under £200,000 is a bit of a piss-take.

Just scanned through fish4homes for Carmarthenshire ( S Wales) - many properties have been on for a very long time - not budging down here either.

I saw in another post that you are based in West Wales. I am going to be working in Ceredigion in the New Year with a mind to moving the family down there for at least part of the week. Do you know of any good letting agents in the Cardigan area ?

Any advice of areas to avoid. My Welsh is not great but I am keen to improve.

Thank god you're looking at Cardigan instead of the nightmare that is Aberystwyth (for renting that is ;)). I might to try to avoid a letting agent - come down, ask around - you might find something at a better price. I've never dealt with lettings myself, but just phone around the main EAs to see who's dealing with lettings these days. Have heard of a place called Homerent Letting Services, but have no idea how good or awful they are. Watch out for the landlords who chuch tenants out for the holiday season!

Cardigan town's not bad - has improved a great deal recently. St Dogmaels is quite a nice village near Cardigan (if you can stand the hill). Aber has a reasonable studenty social scene. The Teifi Valley is very scenic and pleasant. If you're looking up north, try Machynlleth - a nice town just N of Ceredigion. Tregaron seems v popular these days. I don't particularly like Pembrokeshire.

There are so many English escapees in W Wales - many over-60s / families who are escaping from crime / social problems, that it will not be a massive problem that you don't speak Welsh, but speaking Welsh will improve social and employment opportunities. Wages are generally very low in the area.

By the way, what line of work are you in? Most people move in the opposite direction to find work!

Hwyl,

G

Edited by gruffydd

A house opposite my brother in Rhyl has been on sale for about a year for £110,000 a sold sign went up a while back now its for sale again ,I have seen this happen before on other properties,I wonder what is going on.

Thank god you're looking at Cardigan instead of the nightmare that is Aberystwyth (for renting that is ;)). I might to try to avoid a letting agent - come down, ask around - you might find something at a better price. I've never dealt with lettings myself, but just phone around the main EAs to see who's dealing with lettings these days. Have heard of a place called Homerent Letting Services, but have no idea how good or awful they are. Watch out for the landlords who chuch tenants out for the holiday season!

Cardigan town's not bad - has improved a great deal recently. St Dogmaels is quite a nice village near Cardigan (if you can stand the hill). Aber has a reasonable studenty social scene. The Teifi Valley is very scenic and pleasant. If you're looking up north, try Machynlleth - a nice town just N of Ceredigion. Tregaron seems v popular these days. I don't particularly like Pembrokeshire.

There are so many English escapees in W Wales - many over-60s / families who are escaping from crime / social problems, that it will not be a massive problem that you don't speak Welsh, but speaking Welsh will improve social and employment opportunities. Wages are generally very low in the area.

By the way, what line of work are you in? Most people move in the opposite direction to find work!

Hwyl,

G

Hwyl,

G

Thanks for advice.

I am from the Swansea valley and have O-Level Welsh and a refresher tape in the car so should be OK to get by (struggle with strong gog accents though !).

The job is in Aberporth, so you can probably guess my line of work. The contract is around the UK market rate and I would hope that I could get something near the sea to rent for now and maybe look to buy after the impending crash. I have a property in Swansea which we might try to sell in the New Year at a realistic price (below Stamp Duty threshold).

We did a family reccy visit to the area before Christmas and I like the look of Aberporth, Cardigan, Newquay and St. Dogmaels but didn't see anything suitable. I think I will probably take your advice and ask the local EAs when I start in January.

Anyone thinking of buying a property in North Wales or the surrounding areas should Google 'Cank' first it's the site of "Campaign against the new Kiln". I/E Castle Cements new incinerator near Buckley and Mold.

We lived on the Cheshire, North Wales border, believe me, for years that thing has seriously polluted as far a field as Denbigh, Conwy, Cheshire, Shropshire, Wirral, Merseyside and Lancashire. all of the surrounding Counties fought for years to stop it being built because of the past pollution problems and the potential increased health hazards with the massive new operation.

We thought it was bad and affecting our health, but until we left the country we did not realise just how bad, half the kid's were on inhalers, my wife was Dispensing up to 100 a week.

Take a look at 'Cank' before you buy will scare you to bloody death

Thanks for advice.

I am from the Swansea valley and have O-Level Welsh and a refresher tape in the car so should be OK to get by (struggle with strong gog accents though !).

The job is in Aberporth, so you can probably guess my line of work. The contract is around the UK market rate and I would hope that I could get something near the sea to rent for now and maybe look to buy after the impending crash. I have a property in Swansea which we might try to sell in the New Year at a realistic price (below Stamp Duty threshold).

We did a family reccy visit to the area before Christmas and I like the look of Aberporth, Cardigan, Newquay and St. Dogmaels but didn't see anything suitable. I think I will probably take your advice and ask the local EAs when I start in January.

I lived in Aberporth for 2years and Cardigan for 5years and in the early days was constantly looking across the sea to Dublin wishing I was back there. But w Wales grows on you. Aberporth ia a nice village to live in but like a lot of these places holiday homes are abundandant and in the winter months they are like ghost towns. But in Aberporth the place you'll be working (since only one employer there!!) there is a good cricket ground (note I did not say team!!) and they have a good social club. Avoid St. Dogs. it has a recent history of landslide and subsidence!!

you will just have to wait it out mate.

im in the same boat.

very frustraiting, but how can you pay 3x your next doors paid price without looking like a complete tw@t and losing all your savings to some greedy mocksucker, who then takes off to spain with your booty.

I lived in Aberporth for 2years and Cardigan for 5years and in the early days was constantly looking across the sea to Dublin wishing I was back there. But w Wales grows on you. Aberporth ia a nice village to live in but like a lot of these places holiday homes are abundandant and in the winter months they are like ghost towns. But in Aberporth the place you'll be working (since only one employer there!!) there is a good cricket ground (note I did not say team!!) and they have a good social club. Avoid St. Dogs. it has a recent history of landslide and subsidence!!

I used to live in St Dogs... the landslide was caused by a small reservoir at the top of the hill so its all sorted now. There are quite a few new builds creeping up the two cwms out of the village, the ideal property for me would be one of the old cottages with a view of the Teifi, or one of the old houses fronting the river near the Ferry pub. Its a nice village and although its very small everybody seems to know someone who comes from there.. you could have bought a modest 4 bed Victorian house for £35K in the early-mid 90s....