House Price Crash Forum

Chilcot Enquiry, Revelation Or Whitewash?

Goat

HOLA441
  • Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442

The biggest crime is the dead civilians in Iraq rather than the dead servicemen.

I sympathise with the relatives but they did join the Army and not a Duke of Edinburgh Award Scheme.

I think they would rather have remained living for a while longer. :blink:

HOLA443
HOLA444

It probably doesn't mention the "Arms to Iraq" scandal and John Major not reading any arms sales related stuff put in his in-tray in the process of crossing his desk.

Scott Report - 1992/1996.

These were valuable British exports to a friendly dictator. :huh:

HOLA445

There was no imminent threat from Saddam Hussein in March 2003 and Mr Blair took us to war 'before the peaceful options for disarmament had been exhausted'. Sir John said: 'Military action at that time was not a last resort.

and no link found to the World Trade Centre atrocity?

HOLA446
HOLA447

The BBC News is not holding any punches.

You can't blame Cabinet or Parliament - they were lied to just as much and unfortunately it was a feature of the way he ran government. A small coterie incl. the unelected Campbell and then all other checks and balances filled with 'Yes' men.

He is the arch anti democrat. A dictator no less.

And have we learned anything....no, I don't think we have. If you look at the similarity of the EU Referendum and Project Fear with Iraq and 'WMD', the similarities are there for all to see. No dissenting voices and the entire weight of government offices leveraged to strike fear into the hearts of the electorate to get the result they want.

I would like to see a Chilcot enquiry for Project Fear.

I am not sure that I give the Cabinet and Parliament a free pass given that they could have listened to Robin Cook who as former Foreign Secretary would have known the score on Iraqi military capability.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/robin-cooks-powerful-resignation-speech-8357795

I think it was significant that Blair moved Cook from the Foreign Office to Leader of the House of Commons in 2001. Wiki claims the move was because Cook was seen as to pro Euro but one wonders in retrospect if the plot to overthrow Saddam was already underway and that the Bush regime saw him as a potential obstacle to be removed by the compliant Blair. When 911 happened it created a climate of public hysteria and fear that made it easy for politicians to manouevre their countries into arrmed intervention on whatever dubious pretext they could rustle up.

HOLA448

utterly vile scum

Alastair Campbell: 'Sexing up never happened'
Posted at13:39
44ac0d93-0253-4d21-bedf-7ee020c936cf.jpg
Allsport/Getty Images

Tony Blair's former spokesman and key government "spin doctor" Alastair Campbell has reacted to the publication of the Chilcot report.

He has written a blog post headlined: "Many mistakes yes, but no lies, no deceit, no secret deals, no 'sexing up'. And ultimately a matter of leadership and judgement."

Mr Campbell wrote:

The truth was - and remains, confirmed today - that the so called sexing up of intelligence never happened. The Today programme report that said it should never have been broadcast, and the BBC should have properly investigated our complaint rather than dismissed it out of hand because it came from Downing Street.

Had they done so, David Kelly would almost certainly be alive today, and no attempt by the media to say it was 'six of one, half a dozen of the other' will ever move me from that view, or fully erase the anger I feel at their dishonesty. Sorry, but I feel I have to say that.

I hope too that one of the main conspiracy theories peddled in the main by former US Ambassador Sir Christopher Meyer, that Tony Blair did a secret deal with George Bush at Crawford, Texas, in April 2002, is also laid to rest. There was no secret deal, there was no lying, there was no deceit, there was no 'sexing up' of the intelligence. What there was was a decision, a set of decisions, which ultimately had to be made by the prime minister.

Mr Campbell went on to say he believes Sir John thinks the Iraq War was "a big misake", but adds: "His report does accept that ultimately leaders have to make decisions, and especially the tough ones."

HOLA449

So Chilcot is implicitly stating it was a War of Aggression launched by the Blair government with the backing of Parliament .

Yep. And one that directly cost 150,000-200,000 entirely innocent Iraqis their lives.

Blair should stand trial.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413

utterly vile scum

Alastair Campbell: 'Sexing up never happened'
Posted at13:39
44ac0d93-0253-4d21-bedf-7ee020c936cf.jpg
Allsport/Getty Images

Tony Blair's former spokesman and key government "spin doctor" Alastair Campbell has reacted to the publication of the Chilcot report.

He has written a blog post headlined: "Many mistakes yes, but no lies, no deceit, no secret deals, no 'sexing up'. And ultimately a matter of leadership and judgement."

Mr Campbell wrote:

The truth was - and remains, confirmed today - that the so called sexing up of intelligence never happened. The Today programme report that said it should never have been broadcast, and the BBC should have properly investigated our complaint rather than dismissed it out of hand because it came from Downing Street.

Had they done so, David Kelly would almost certainly be alive today, and no attempt by the media to say it was 'six of one, half a dozen of the other' will ever move me from that view, or fully erase the anger I feel at their dishonesty. Sorry, but I feel I have to say that.

I hope too that one of the main conspiracy theories peddled in the main by former US Ambassador Sir Christopher Meyer, that Tony Blair did a secret deal with George Bush at Crawford, Texas, in April 2002, is also laid to rest. There was no secret deal, there was no lying, there was no deceit, there was no 'sexing up' of the intelligence. What there was was a decision, a set of decisions, which ultimately had to be made by the prime minister.

Mr Campbell went on to say he believes Sir John thinks the Iraq War was "a big misake", but adds: "His report does accept that ultimately leaders have to make decisions, and especially the tough ones."

Blairs very own Goebbels and Speers.

C.nt.

HOLA4414

Both Cook and Kelly were assassinated.

Can we have the full inquest/papers released for the Kelly death now?

Wow. I've often thought about that. Cook, maybe, maybe not? Kelly? Certainly I wonder about that one.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419

I've always suspected he was simply threatened with losing his pension if they found out it was he who released information. Under a lot of pressure as the net tightened, he would probably think about his wife if it were all to go.

There's probably some Sun Tzu saying about best to let your enemy kill themselves than you killing them.

Id put that c.nt Cambell at the core of this.

From what Ive read, the Chilcott report looks good.

Im not some sort of lefty SJW but I hope that c.bt Blair + cabinet + cabinet end up at the ICC.

They cannot just keep jailing Black dcitaros + grumpy Serbs.

Lets put ****** on trial for once.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425

It seems that Blair committed Britain to going to war in Iraq in support of GW Bush and the US government well before he obtained any formal backing from the Cabinet or Parliament. If he really did promise to be "With You Whatever" then it was a fundamental flouting of every principle of Parliamentary democracy. In some respects it was the dishonest way the country was taken to war rather than the conflict and aftermath itself which has done the most lasting damage to the UK.

By the way those who claim that the recent referendum on EU membership was contary to the historical way our parliamentary democracy works, might like to bear in mind how easy it was for Blair to get both Cabinet and most MPs onside. They voted Britain to war even though there was plenty of evidence at the time that a sizeable portion of the public were either opposed or very dubious about intervention in the period prior to the invasion of Iraq. If many of the population suspected Blair was lying why were so many MPs willing to swallow his justification for war.

https://www.ipsos-mori.com/newsevents/ca/287/Iraq-The-Last-PreWar-Polls.aspx

This was definitely one example of our Parliamentary constitution not working in the best interest of the country.

So much for the collective wisdom of our elected representatives being superior to the supposedly thick, uneducated proles

On edit - The details from Hansard can be found here

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm200203/cmhansrd/vo030318/debindx/30318-x.htm

and the vote is here

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm200203/cmhansrd/vo030318/debtext/30318-48.htm#30318-48_div118

Archived