House Price Crash Forum

Chilcot Enquiry, Revelation Or Whitewash?

Goat

HOLA441

Just curious, after 7 years, what everyone expects them to conclude.

My guess is probably a whitewash with some minor criticism of some of the key players but nothing they'll get too worked up about.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448

I so want it to be Alistair Campbell - with a 4QS meat wagon wagon outside his home with the satnav set for The Hague

Sadly Campbell reportedly wasn't included in the Maxwellisation process and hence isn't in line for criticism, hence my fear that the whole thing is going to be a whitewash.

HOLA449

Some people supplied info that was wrong and Blair made decisions based on that info and is not really to blame. No one else to blame, no one has lost their job (soldier's lives don't count) or pension, no one of note named or shamed. Lessons learned etc etc nothing to be gained by any form of legal action. Multiple millions well spent (well according to Chilcott's bank account).

Let us not forget that Cameron & Obama then went on to operate an equally unjustified and unnecessary clusterf*ck in Libya.

So there is absolutely no chance whatsoever of Blair being held responsible for anything serious.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

Some people supplied info that was wrong and Blair made decisions based on that info and is not really to blame. No one else to blame, no one has lost their job (soldier's lives don't count) or pension, no one of note named or shamed. Lessons learned etc etc nothing to be gained by any form of legal action. Multiple millions well spent (well according to Chilcott's bank account).

Probably that David Kelly who was then so overcome with remorse later that he topped himself with a blunt pen knife after going for a walk in the woods. And if you believe that story I also have a bridge in Brooklyn you may be interested in buying.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414

The report is guaranteed to be massive, written in an unreadable prose style, packed with a welter of irrelevant details, full of ambiguities and hedged around with a million caveats in order to guarantee that no one but a masochist will want read it from start to finish. Everyone will be found to be at fault to some extent but not in a way that would render them culpable in a criminal or civil court. In fact blaming everyone will essentially be the same as blaming no one since ultimately it will have the same effect. As a result the political establishment in power when the Iraq war broke out will be effectively exonerated.

HOLA4415

The report is guaranteed to be massive, written in an unreadable prose style, packed with a welter of irrelevant details, full of ambiguities and hedged around with a million caveats in order to guarantee that no one but a masochist will want read it from start to finish.

That's why it'll have an executive summary, which is the important part.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

That's why it'll have an executive summary, which is the important part.

That will say everyone is equally too blame which in its way is a more effective whitewash than blaming no one. While all involved try to shift responsibility for their role on their advisers Tony Blair will exit stage right with his ill gotten loot scot free.

HOLA4418

I just blogged in anticipation of it.

The Chilcot report is due tomorrow. I don’t expect to read it, so like most of us I’ll hear what the media see fit to report from it.

They’ve already been telling us it’s likely to disappoint anyone expecting it to blame The Liar. That would fall outside its terms of reference, so any finger pointed at him is likely to be of a secondary and probably tangential nature. There’s also a suggestion floating around that the current Labour leadership crisis has something to do with it: the Party wanted a more compliant (interim) leader than Corbyn in place to respond to Chilcot.

With the passage of time and the principal warmongers no longer in post, this probably means there’ll be little appetite for further investigation, and The Liar will be off the hook, facing no more than criticism at a level he’s well-equipped to brush off. A dismal contrast to the vigorous pursuit of much lower-level perpetrators of Bad Things in pre-1945 Germany, up to 70 years on from their crimes.

This may be a lot more than a mere injustice. We’ve not merely made a horrendous mess of Iraq, but also destabilised the region, pretending all the while that we were the Good Guys. No wonder there’s the hatred and despair that’s led to the rise of the Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant! A token of contrition and act of justice – like putting The Liar on trial – might be the last opportunity in a generation to defuse that justified resentment and make a start on winning back “hearts and minds”, so that the Islamic State is not succeeded by something yet more brutal arising out of the same sense of grievance and monstrous injustice.

HOLA4419

Well, my opinion is "whitewash", and I see I am not the only one with that opinion. It's a bit bonkers when the courts are still trying to prosecute the oldest living Nazis for something they did 70 odd years ago.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423

So far, nothing of interest. How much did he pocket out of this again?

terms of reference my dear boy....this was never going to be a trial of individuals.

HOLA4424

One sneaky tactic that's often deployed is giving different parts of the state different names then implying a case of left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing.

Typical example being the Police blamimg the CPS when, in reality, it's simply the case of a lack of political will to pursue the case.

Another one is corporation's offshore tax arrangements which are blamed on the incompetence of HMRC when, in reality, they have the tacit approval of central government.

Similarly The Home Office, and Border Control, being blamed for and influx of migrants when, in reality, it is a deliberate government policy to encourage migrants here.

HOLA4425

Archived