House Price Crash Forum

University Bubble Making Hissing Sounds

This 100 times.

Apart from the pre-recording of lectures, all the extra effort to schedule in-person as well as online tutorials (these being small groups), to add activities to increase engagement, admin staff less available to help with the donkey work.  It's a bit annoying to read all the stuff in the papers about the students being sold short, maybe for the self-isolation support they are, but many academic staff are working harder than ever before.

Well .....

I agree that a mix of online can be a lot better. For myself, I prefer books and video lectures.

There is a reason for this - most teachers and lecturers are crap.

I was subjected to 6 years of post 16 education. 80% of the content was dire. The value add  a lot of teachers/lectures was minimal, sometimes negative.

Sure, preparing a set of well thought out slides takes a lot more time than some quick overheads or just plain winging it.

However, it allows one lecture/org to delver the same content to millions, time and time again.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So how do you think it responded to cuts in funding then? When I say "asked" I really mean forced. What's your measure of "massive inefficiency" and evidence?  Are you one of this site's wannabe speculators by any chance? 

The public sector responded by reducing its useful output, of course.

As for evidence, I submitted Freedom of Information requests to two NHS trusts I used to work for regarding staff expenditure.  20% of those Trusts' total staff spend was on management, admin and clerical staff, excluding any management activities done by clinical staff.  I tried a few other Trusts but they claimed it was too expensive to collate the data.

I have no idea what you mean by wannabe speculator.

I pay substantially less tax here than I did in the UK, yet I don't see people starving in the streets.

The UK's public sector is just tremendously inefficient and overpaid, though I'm starting to see that coming here too, in the organizations I know about; more and more overpaid managers, more 'diversity and inclusiveness' coordinators, and less and less actual workers to do the work the organization is supposed to be doing.

It's starting to feel a bit like the end of the New Labour era again The emphasis on hiring diversity coordinators for every part of the public sector. It seemed to go away under Cameron for a bit. No doubt it's a result of the current protests and unpleasantness in the USA. Does anybody else feel the same way?

if the teaching is online I don't know what they want a refund for. It actually takes far more time to generate an online lecture, than to do an old style turn up and talk for an hour in person thing. At least if you make a proper effort to make something useful (which most people I know are). Thats mainly because nothing exists yet though - presumably next year a lot of the stuff will be reused and hence the difference goes away. But right now it is a lot more work than usual to do it that way.

The univerversity is basically desperate for students to see where there money is going. Staff close to nervous breakdown with the load of creating videos, lectures and in my case a laboratory they can do at home. I have personal tutorial responsibility for 25 students. need to meet them personally every week... If my research  was not actually being done by RA's i nothing would be happening.

Well .....

I agree that a mix of online can be a lot better. For myself, I prefer books and video lectures.

There is a reason for this - most teachers and lecturers are crap.

I was subjected to 6 years of post 16 education. 80% of the content was dire. The value add  a lot of teachers/lectures was minimal, sometimes negative.

Sure, preparing a set of well thought out slides takes a lot more time than some quick overheads or just plain winging it.

However, it allows one lecture/org to delver the same content to millions, time and time again.

In principle. In practice not necessarily. The course I teach has to be updated every year-  its for postgraduates and very cutting edge in content. Perhaps less true for Newtonian Mechanics 101.

Another point of view might be (and some will take this): If we record it this year of course then there is an incentive for me to not update every year, because re-recording would be a hassle....easier to reuse out of date content.

In principle. In practice not necessarily. The course I teach has to be updated every year-  its for postgraduates and very cutting edge in content. Perhaps less true for Newtonian Mechanics 101.

Another point of view might be (and some will take this): If we record it this year of course then there is an incentive for me to not update every year, because re-recording would be a hassle....easier to reuse out of date content.

Theres little cutting edge content in UK HE, at least the student end.

Coming from a Math-ys background, little changes. Maybe the mix but thats it.

From a practising software background most stuff in UK HE is the stuff that was in place when the lecturers/PG did their degree.

My current boss's son is at Cambridge reading Natural Sciences.  Apparently some of the lecturers don't like putting recordings of their work on the intranet because it's based on unpublished research and they're worried about plagiarism.

That aside, most of my HE experience would have been improved by properly composed and edited recordings of lectures and demonstrations.  A few of my lecturers were inspirational, but many had no idea how to present the material, didn't know the current syllabus and/or were clearly being dragged away from their research to do something in which they had no interest.

My current boss's son is at Cambridge reading Natural Sciences.  Apparently some of the lecturers don't like putting recordings of their work on the intranet because it's based on unpublished research and they're worried about plagiarism.

That's interesting. At Oxbridge it's a given, I understand as a non Oxbridge bod, that the standard undergrad level syllabus should be self explanatory to the caliber of students attending, and the lectured stuff is on top of the books, that is to get a first class equivalent level at any other university. 

How universities tricked students into returning to campus

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/oct/02/universities-students-campus-teaching-fees

Covid: Northumbria University confirms 770 cases among students

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-54394199

Edited by Saving For a Space Ship

The public sector responded by reducing its useful output, of course.

As for evidence, I submitted Freedom of Information requests to two NHS trusts I used to work for regarding staff expenditure.  20% of those Trusts' total staff spend was on management, admin and clerical staff, excluding any management activities done by clinical staff.  I tried a few other Trusts but they claimed it was too expensive to collate the data.

I have no idea what you mean by wannabe speculator.

Because there was no choice. But first everything was cut to the bone. For example my mother worked in social work, part of the public sector you apparently despite. All the preventive work they used to do was cut away (soft part of the budget). More efficient? Maybe on paper. Same story in schools and universities, everything inessential has gone apart from new b*llocks introduced with marketisation. Hence your booming managerial costs in the NHS. Our local clinic now employs a "business manager"., Why was that not necessary the previous 50 years?

Edited by nickb1

Well deserved for Penrose indeed!

The Emperors New Mind was the book I picked up in Munich central train station in my early Europe travels after university. I had hours to kill while waiting for an overnight train after leaving the hostel and needed a new book. Good for him.

The Emperors New Mind was the book I picked up in Munich central train station in my early Europe travels after university. I had hours to kill while waiting for an overnight train after leaving the hostel and needed a new book. Good for him.

Got that book as well, great read I must admit, far superior than A Brief History of Time which I found trivial. But hey, I was studying Physics which explains a lot :) 

I suspect more large employers will follow Dyson. A lot of large of employers now run post A level degree apprenticeships, this is going to hit the technical universities hard. 

Dyson technology institute to be given power to award its own degrees

Institute founded by Sir James Dyson will be first alternative provider to be granted such power

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2020/oct/07/dyson-technology-institute-to-be-given-power-to-award-its-own-degrees

I suspect more large employers will follow Dyson. A lot of large of employers now run post A level degree apprenticeships, this is going to hit the technical universities hard. 

Institute founded by Sir James Dyson will be first alternative provider to be granted such power

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2020/oct/07/dyson-technology-institute-to-be-given-power-to-award-its-own-degrees

This is good.  'Technical' Universities only existed in name. 

The incremental cost to push some of these into Research should be a warning to other Universities

I found this hard to believe

"It has 150 engineering undergraduates who pay no tuition fees and receive a full-time wage during their four years studying and working alongside Dyson’s staff. It claims to attract more applications from qualified school-leavers than many Oxbridge courses, with 14 applying for each place, expecting to gain As in A-level maths and sciences or technology."

I would have thought that it would be 140 for each place. How can anyone in the right mind who wants to study engineering not want to study there?  If it were me, I would apply if it were based in Damascus.  Is Oxbridge really worth £50K + debt instead of going there?

No its not.

Try getting a seat on your local health board and getting the figures on where the money is spent.

So managerial and admin costs have not gone up under the internal market? What about PFI, do you think that has been "efficient" and good value for the taxpayer? Are you on the board? It's impressive you find the time with all the posting you do here.

Because there was no choice. But first everything was cut to the bone. For example my mother worked in social work, part of the public sector you apparently despite. All the preventive work they used to do was cut away (soft part of the budget). More efficient? Maybe on paper. Same story in schools and universities, everything inessential has gone apart from new b*llocks introduced with marketisation. Hence your booming managerial costs in the NHS. Our local clinic now employs a "business manager"., Why was that not necessary the previous 50 years?

Bit of a contradiction there Fred.

Coronavirus: Nottingham students 'question logic' of university return

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-54433783

Duhh...It's because they want your money, stupid!

Covid-19: Lancaster University accused of 'profiting' from food deliveries

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lancashire-54456523

Duhh...It's because they want your money, stupid!

Edited by highcontrast

I found this hard to believe

"It has 150 engineering undergraduates who pay no tuition fees and receive a full-time wage during their four years studying and working alongside Dyson’s staff. It claims to attract more applications from qualified school-leavers than many Oxbridge courses, with 14 applying for each place, expecting to gain As in A-level maths and sciences or technology."

I would have thought that it would be 140 for each place. How can anyone in the right mind who wants to study engineering not want to study there?  If it were me, I would apply if it were based in Damascus.  Is Oxbridge really worth £50K + debt instead of going there?

It would be interesting to know if the Dyson graduates are competitive in the job market with graduates from the traditional RG Unis.