Jump to content
House Price Crash Forum
Sancho Panza

University Bubble Making Hissing Sounds

Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, Warwick-Watcher said:

Any reason to think the Chinese won't still want a UK degree? 95,000 were studying here in 2016-17 according to this website (page 18).

I'm sure the nominal demand is still there, but as the Manc VC says, they may want to defer. Plus at the moment anyone can waltz in through UK airports if there are incoming flights. I think they'll have to sort that, because many others have already done so. Will there be UK - China flights soon?

Once there's hurdles for the customer, they may look elsewhere. Plenty other countries chasing this $$$ and offering English language degrees (at post-grad).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Will! said:

Also medical school education is expensive, although the money is spent inefficiently in my opinion.

But please don't lose the tradition of having a willy in a Matchbox for rag week.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Warwick-Watcher said:

Any reason to think the Chinese won't still want a UK degree? 95,000 were studying here in 2016-17 according to this website (page 18).

https://www.universitiesuk.ac.uk/facts-and-stats/data-and-analysis/Documents/patterns-and-trends-in-uk-higher-education-2018.pdf

Plus you've got an 80% chance of a first or a 2:1 these days... World's best universities churning out the cleverest adults in human history.

https://www.timeshighereducation.com/news/universities-biggest-shares-21s-and-firsts-revealed

Chinese will do what the CCP tel lthhem..

If the CCP decides that China needs to have its own HE bodies then that will happen.

Besides, part from the C19 fallout, China has a massive population bust now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 05/05/2020 at 11:46, iamnumerate said:

How could it be done cheaper?

Most doctors spend years learning about relatively rare diseases, then spend most of their lives doing the equivalent of putting plasters on kids' scraped knees.  Or just regurgitating whatever the latest advice is from the People's Central Health Committee ('cholesterol is in right now!').

Medical degrees are largely a scam to keep wages high by keeping the supply of doctors low. Google does as good a job for most patients, and it's only the ludicrous prescription rules which prevent them from getting the drugs Google tells them they need without going to a doctor.

Edited by MarkG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 05/05/2020 at 18:46, iamnumerate said:

How could it be done cheaper?

For the vocational aspects of medical school, align the summative assessments as closely as possible with clinical practice.  Then iteratively review and refine the training based on the students' performances.

For example, when I was at medical school a lot of money was spent on b*llsh*t communications skills "teaching".  Communications skills are very important, but the "teaching" was just an excuse for a load of crap GPs to be paid to skive off work.

The obvious way to assess students' communications skills is by observing them communicating with patients and asking for the patients' feedback.  There are as many different ways to communicate with patients as there are doctors and patients so this would need a significant number of patients.  That was far too much like work for the skiving GPs, so we had lots of student-led seminars and role plays instead.  The GPs told the actors what "good" communication skills by the students should look like (it was a sort of simpering condescension) and the actors gave the feedback on which we were assessed based on how close we were to this.

It was expensive and bore very little relation to how to talk to real patients in clinical practice.

Edited by Will!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Coronavirus latest: Vulnerable students with no family support could be left homeless, ministers warned

Exclusive: MPs have written to the Government demanding more support for the most vulnerable students

https://inews.co.uk/news/coronavirus-latest-vulnerable-students-family-support-homelessness-warning-2847653

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Saving For a Space Ship said:

Coronavirus latest: Vulnerable students with no family support could be left homeless, ministers warned

Exclusive: MPs have written to the Government demanding more support for the most vulnerable students

https://inews.co.uk/news/coronavirus-latest-vulnerable-students-family-support-homelessness-warning-2847653

That's an important point. Post 16 education is a gamble but it shouldn't be so much worse for the poor that they end up homeless.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 05/05/2020 at 15:21, Warwick-Watcher said:

Any reason to think the Chinese won't still want a UK degree? 95,000 were studying here in 2016-17 according to this website (page 18).

https://www.universitiesuk.ac.uk/facts-and-stats/data-and-analysis/Documents/patterns-and-trends-in-uk-higher-education-2018.pdf

 

I think the poor management of Coronavirus in the UK is going to deter many Chinese students, despite their appreciation of our Universities.  Most of the Chinese students/academics I know are taking social distancing very very seriously, hardly going out.  They've not been too impressed with the general trend in the UK, or with the UK government's (mis)management.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-52732814

Cambridge University: All lectures to be online-only until summer of 2021

https://www.legalcheek.com/2020/05/manchester-university-confirms-all-law-lectures-from-next-term-will-be-delivered-online/

The University of Manchester has revealed all of its lectures for the start of the coming academic year will be delivered online, including those run by its law school.

Significant IMO?...plus what's this going to do to the rental market/BTL scum in Cambridge and Manchester? Oh dear...now where did i put my tiny violin?

Oh there it is...lolz

 

Violin.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, highcontrast said:

The University of Manchester has revealed all of its lectures for the start of the coming academic year will be delivered online, including those run by its law school.

Knowing Manchester as i do, this will have a massive impact on pretty much all bars, casual eateries, and foreign supermarkets around Oxford Road. Even around MRI, where you'd expect to see more doctors and nurses, it always seemed to be only students around.

I also suspect China town supermarkets and restaurants to be particularly impacted as the custom seemed to be exclusively rich Chinese students and, on occasion, their visiting parents. 

Private student accommodation blocks, i'm thinking the massive block next to the mayfield depot/Piccadilly station,  might not look so lucrative anymore. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, sammersmith said:

Knowing Manchester as i do, this will have a massive impact on pretty much all bars, casual eateries, and foreign supermarkets around Oxford Road. Even around MRI, where you'd expect to see more doctors and nurses, it always seemed to be only students around.

I also suspect China town supermarkets and restaurants to be particularly impacted as the custom seemed to be exclusively rich Chinese students and, on occasion, their visiting parents. 

Private student accommodation blocks, i'm thinking the massive block next to the mayfield depot/Piccadilly station,  might not look so lucrative anymore. 

If that's the impact there, imagine the impact on the University of Scummersfield - ex-teaching college somewhere away from London. Homes under the Hammer will be quaking in their boots - harder to turn a profit on the student rental market in future.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 06/05/2020 at 20:21, MarkG said:

Most doctors spend years learning about relatively rare diseases, then spend most of their lives doing the equivalent of putting plasters on kids' scraped knees.  Or just regurgitating whatever the latest advice is from the People's Central Health Committee ('cholesterol is in right now!').

Medical degrees are largely a scam to keep wages high by keeping the supply of doctors low. Google does as good a job for most patients, and it's only the ludicrous prescription rules which prevent them from getting the drugs Google tells them they need without going to a doctor.

Most of what people learn is what they learn after they have left school.....a fact.

There must be many ways now where education can be made more accessible for less.....some learn later in life, some want to learn later in life, some have no choice but to learn later in life.....lots of changes ahead.;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mid cities where local Unis play an important role in the economy will suffer a lot. As previously said, it’s not just about renting, but also all the bars, clubs, pubs etc. which inevitably will not re open. Bath, Bristol, Cardiff, Newcastle etc. what a bloody mess. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/05/2020 at 15:19, toreveal said:

I think the poor management of Coronavirus in the UK is going to deter many Chinese students, despite their appreciation of our Universities.  Most of the Chinese students/academics I know are taking social distancing very very seriously, hardly going out.  They've not been too impressed with the general trend in the UK, or with the UK government's (mis)management.

Applications are buoyant i am told, india growing strongly. Much as i would like  to say not and cynical old school academic as i am, the uk has it minted for HE for the foreseeable future. I have been doing some research on MSc courses for one we want to launch. EU universities offer them for small fees taught in english. The uk and switzerland £25k+ a year, yet the international students repeatedly choose the latter not the former. The only explanation i can think is “the higher the price the higher the value” philosophy. Economically we should turn the country into one giant Eton/cheltenhams ladies college for kids and oxbridge for adults. Pay the staff well and pull in the best of the eu and elsewhere to teach the stuff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 20/05/2020 at 13:36, Warwick-Watcher said:

If that's the impact there, imagine the impact on the University of Scummersfield - ex-teaching college somewhere away from London

As if on cue, who'd like a plot of land in Bolton with planning permission for a halls of residence and only half a mile from the town's 'university'?

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/commercial-property-for-sale/property-90385538.html

Down from £350,000 on 12/03/20 to a new price of £199,000 today. Somebody's trying to get out pronto but it still looks overpriced to me ;) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sammersmith said:

As if on cue, who'd like a plot of land in Bolton with planning permission for a halls of residence and only half a mile from the town's 'university'?

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/commercial-property-for-sale/property-90385538.html

Down from £350,000 on 12/03/20 to a new price of £199,000 today. Somebody's trying to get out pronto but it still looks overpriced to me ;) 

Lol....Great find!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Saving For a Space Ship said:

Student Housing, One of the Most Hyped Asset Classes, Runs Out of Students

https://wolfstreet.com/2020/05/24/student-housing-one-of-the-most-hypes-asset-classes-runs-out-of-students/

So long as the government doesn't decide to "help" I suspect the leveraged student BTL/HMO lot are going to get hit as much as the corporates. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, highcontrast said:

I can't begin to tell you how much I enjoyed reading that lol.

Great find.

Oh you must live in Leeds6....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, spyguy said:

Oh you must live in Leeds6....

Leeds6? Is that another big area that's been overun by student BTL scum too? 

I'm in the Midlands next to one of the biggest fake uni's/ex-polytechnics in the country

It's heart warming to know that's it's not just the individual over-leveraged BTL student scumlord turd  that's going to be done over, but also much higher up the "investment" chain.

These scum are are going to get what's been coming to them for a long time.

I wonder if the student let market could a potential trigger in the same way AirBnB could be?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, winkie said:

Lectures from home.....safer.😉

Or ... read from the coursebooks....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • 399 Brexit, House prices and Summer 2020

    1. 1. Including the effects Brexit, where do you think average UK house prices will be relative to now in June 2020?


      • down 5% +
      • down 2.5%
      • Even
      • up 2.5%
      • up 5%



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.