House Price Crash Forum
Sancho Panza

University Bubble Making Hissing Sounds

10 hours ago, Will! said:

i "News":  Three UK universities on the brink of bankruptcy and more reliant on short-term loans ‘to survive’

and then the BBC runs with it

BBC News: Would a university really be allowed to go bust?

I really can't see the problem with academically worthless places such as Brighton or Southampton Solent Universities, to pick two not completely at random, going bankrupt.

Mrs Binning has worked at the University of Southampton Faculty of Health Sciences since 1998.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6341291/Two-arrested-suspicion-modern-slavery-man-forced-sleep-shed-four-years.html

University lecturer, 56, and her husband are arrested for 'keeping Polish builder a slave in the garden shed of their £1.2m home where he slept on sun lounger and had no toilet'

I'm sure they will be queueing up to get into Southampton now.

1 hour ago, Lord D'arcy Pew said:

This is a shocking story, I guess if the races the other way around it would get a lot more media exposure 

......a slave for four years I can see a book and a movie 

Edited by prozac
Book

2 hours ago, Lord D'arcy Pew said:

I'm sure they will be queueing up to get into Southampton now.

Pedantic point, but the University of Southampton (where the slaver lady lectures) and Southampton Solent (low ranked university going bust) are separate institutions.

1 hour ago, Save me from the madness! said:

Yet it would seem one has far higher standards for the type of lecturer it employees than the other!

£1.2 million home as a university lecturer... what did her husband work as? The world has gone mad, I hope they throw the book at them, strip them of assets and jail them.

Not sure an employer can be expected to uncover potential slavemasters in the interview

7 hours ago, Save me from the madness! said:

Yet it would seem one has far higher standards for the type of lecturer it employees than the other!

Could be, or maybe the slave-owning lecturers at Southampton Solent are better at not getting caught.

1 minute ago, Dorkins said:

Could be, or maybe the slave-owning lecturers at Southampton Solent are better at not getting caught.

Lol

i started cracking up at work, the people I work with already think I am mad 

On 02/11/2018 at 09:24, Dorkins said:

Pedantic point, but the University of Southampton (where the slaver lady lectures) and Southampton Solent (low ranked university going bust) are separate institutions.

Southampton Soylent (Green)?

Worse than keeping slaves is eating students. Well metaphorically at least - excessive fees for cr@p degrees! Followed by a lifetime of debt servitude.

On 02/11/2018 at 09:24, Dorkins said:

Yes, worth making that point. The University of Southampton is recognised as a high quality institution and has a great reputation - bad apples can crop up anywhere. My old alma mater, though not my actual college, was home to the dreadful Matthew Falder who is the PhD paedophile caught last year. The bit I haven’t worked out yet is whether they have yet stripped him of his PhD.

It is not the loan/tax per se, it the excessive compounded high interest rate attached to the loans....a total rip off........best to shop around for a better cost effective, quality education instead of having the feeling of being exploited because of the need for a certain certificate from a certain place.....what a high price to pay.;)

Edited by winkie

2 hours ago, Mikhail Liebenstein said:

My old alma mater, though not my actual college, was home to the dreadful Matthew Falder who is the PhD paedophile caught last year. The bit I haven’t worked out yet is whether they have yet stripped him of his PhD.

Short of plagiarism, falsifying data or some other kind of academic fraud/misconduct i don't see what basis they would have to cancel his degrees, however abhorrent his crimes.

Edited by Dorkins

22 hours ago, Dorkins said:

Short of plagiarism, falsifying data or some other kind of academic fraud/misconduct i don't see what basis they would have to cancel his degrees, however abhorrent his crimes.

Misuse of University / College resources whilst engaged in research?

6 hours ago, Mikhail Liebenstein said:

Misuse of University / College resources whilst engaged in research?

Beside the point. A degree's a degree in that respect, should only be retracted on academic grounds.

Oppenheimer famously attempted to murder his PhD supervisor, he got a slapped wrist and was awarded his PhD. Academics tend to be forgiven for character failings simply because people with their skills are quite rare.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-46073769

"...Too many graduates in England are being left with big debts for too little payback, MPs are warning."

"...Its chairman Robert Halfon also highlights the excessive pay of some university vice-chancellors, saying that is not value for money."

And from earlier this year: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-43384427

"...Tuition fee value for money: 'I feel ripped off"

Is that a hissing sound I hear??

What were Radio4 on about this morning?

Only caught the end of it but some guy refused to be drawn on how bad the issue is (how many are near insolvency) but he said it’s really bad, with 3 absolutely on the verge of going kaput! But which 3?

Did anyone else hear it this morning around 9ish?

50 minutes ago, MinistryMan said:

What were Radio4 on about this morning?

Only caught the end of it but some guy refused to be drawn on how bad the issue is (how many are near insolvency) but he said it’s really bad, with 3 absolutely on the verge of going kaput! But which 3?

Did anyone else hear it this morning around 9ish?

Ill go out on a limb.

Pure guess.

Soton Insitute.

Uni of Cumbria.

Uni of Bolton.

UK is going to see a massive roll back of HE.

First to go will be those FE and teaching collegels that magiced into Unis.

Then a few of Polys.

Then a couple of red bricks.

2 hours ago, spyguy said:

Ill go out on a limb.

Pure guess.

Soton Insitute.

Uni of Cumbria.

Uni of Bolton.

UK is going to see a massive roll back of HE.

First to go will be those FE and teaching collegels that magiced into Unis.

Then a few of Polys.

Then a couple of red bricks.

+ Cranfield?

2 hours ago, deadlyavenger said:

Oh dear...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-46223219

"University given £1m bailout from watchdog"

Who was it though?

"The money has been repaid - and the regulator says the university, a small, modern institution, is now financially stable." 

So post-1992 for certain,  Not enough cash to make it through the summer, I'm guessing their definition of "financially stable" relates only to the balance sheet, Or a very aggressive cashflow forecast at best.  

Could it be that "financially stable" means they've simply arranged a longer term bank loan and kicked the can down the road.

"short-term liquidity loan" - Where have we heard this one before!

A million squid wouldn't even cover a third of a semester running costs.... even for a sh1t poly.

Yeah... their credit is presumably finished as is their cash-flow.

It's going to be very interesting to see the first big collapse in a university.

Feel sorry for the students, lecturers.

Also for the community who services and support said students.

Not so much for the boards who've spent on bricks and not their people.

23 minutes ago, cashinmattress said:

Feel sorry for the students,....

Not so much for the boards who've spent on bricks and not their people.

Actually they probably will be ok as they should have a decent pension etc!

Saw a low paid admin job advertised at the towns FE college.The main duty was improving attendance for students. This is post 16 education, nobody has to be there by law.  What happened to telling individuals if your lazy, dont turn up, mess,  about your out?