House Price Crash Forum
Sancho Panza

University Bubble Making Hissing Sounds

On the plus side, all the student accomodation that they are building will come in handy when the Uni bubble deflates.

As overpopulation really ramps up, large PRS companies will snap these blocks up at auction and rent them out at 'market rates'. No doubt they will receive some financial help from the government to do this.

Millenials may find themselves at the age of 50 existing in a small room with access to communal facilities. Only it won't be as much fun as their student days.Wi-Fi will be included free of charge though.

1 hour ago, iamnumerate said:

Before BBC* student nurses could get £5k p.a to train and very cheap accomodation (a friend paid £44 PCM in 1991 for central London).

Now they have to pay a lot in fees and pay a lot for accomodation.

A perfect example of how they have messed things up for the young.

BBC = Blair Brown Cameron.

But why?

Is their immediate Pol reward of getting ids to Unis?

Ive heard heard Joe Voter say 'Oh my kids cannot go to Fulchester New Uni?'

Event taking the 'HE = high wages' claim, the reward well down the line. And, to be honest, the wage stats on HE were clear in early 90s when I graduated - males doing ArtsNHum degrees earned less than someone who left education at 18.

And thats when only ~20% went onto HE.

Were BBC just vacuous signalling idiots? Yep.

Or is there a high lobbying ******** from the education blob, as described by Michael Gove.

Look at the law forcing kids t stay in some sort training until they are 18. For the bottom ~30% the eucation sector ha failed them. UK tax payer should be looking at getting their money back for these kids not paying for another 2 years 'in education'

Look at nursing - and medical training on the whole. Lets say we ned nurses - Im not 100% - but lets go with that. Why put up hurdles?

A simple A level and pre Nurse training 16-18, followed by some sort of 2 year course + 1 year practice would get nurses out onthe wards, qualified by 20.

34 minutes ago, spyguy said:

But why?

Is their immediate Pol reward of getting ids to Unis?

Ive heard heard Joe Voter say 'Oh my kids cannot go to Fulchester New Uni?'

Event taking the 'HE = high wages' claim, the reward well down the line. And, to be honest, the wage stats on HE were clear in early 90s when I graduated - males doing ArtsNHum degrees earned less than someone who left education at 18.

And thats when only ~20% went onto HE.

Were BBC just vacuous signalling idiots? Yep.

Or is there a high lobbying ******** from the education blob, as described by Michael Gove.

Look at the law forcing kids t stay in some sort training until they are 18. For the bottom ~30% the eucation sector ha failed them. UK tax payer should be looking at getting their money back for these kids not paying for another 2 years 'in education'

Look at nursing - and medical training on the whole. Lets say we ned nurses - Im not 100% - but lets go with that. Why put up hurdles?

A simple A level and pre Nurse training 16-18, followed by some sort of 2 year course + 1 year practice would get nurses out onthe wards, qualified by 20.

I think Nursing leaders wanted nurses to be graduates to improve their "social status" - sadly it means that they have to pay to earn the same as before - not so great for their financial status.

1 hour ago, frankief said:

On the plus side, all the student accomodation that they are building will come in handy when the Uni bubble deflates.

As overpopulation really ramps up, large PRS companies will snap these blocks up at auction and rent them out at 'market rates'. No doubt they will receive some financial help from the government to do this.

Millenials may find themselves at the age of 50 existing in a small room with access to communal facilities. Only it won't be as much fun as their student days.Wi-Fi will be included free of charge though.

This is exactly what will happen. All these people with zero pension or assets will not be kept in their own homes once the kids have left.

2 hours ago, spyguy said:

Unis/HE is still a good thing for the ~20% of 18 years.

Theres a lot of degree that are needed to start a high vocation job - Medicine, Science stuff, Eng.

Its the extra 30% of 18 year that have been bolted on in the last 20 years, doing non-vocation ArtnHum degrees.

Only 33% of English 18 year olds go to university (lower in Scotland).

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/record-numbers-teenagers-university-scotland-england-study-a7952151.html

I agree with you that the number of courses and places (and universities...) could probably do with a trim, but the size of the job is more like 33%->20% not 50%->20%.

Edited by Dorkins

1 hour ago, Dorkins said:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/record-numbers-teenagers-university-scotland-england-study-a7952151.html

I agree with you that the number of courses and places (and universities...) could probably do with a trim, but the size of the job is more like 33%->20% not 50%->20%.

Less than i thought!

I thought we were almost at Blairs 50% target - feels like that.

https://www.quora.com/What-percentage-of-British-students-go-to-university

Interesting the chart shows a drop in 76.

I was 88 - 1 in 6.

Edited by spyguy

14 hours ago, btl_hater said:

So it didn’t really rise that much during the New Labour years. You would have though it had doubled, the way so many people harp on about it.

I think that is because is had grown just before New Labour and they wanted it to grow more and cause and effect were confused.

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/46753000/gif/_46753565_uni_numbs_226.gif

This graph doesn't feature the last 10 years, but even so its absolute numbers rather than percentage.   I suspect the difference is down to demographic peak and troughs- ie fewer 18 year olds in the 1990s (but an increasing percentage attending), then a mini-boom of 18 year olds post 2000 etc.

Hence why so there appears so many 20-30 somethings have degrees.

31 minutes ago, nightowl said:

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/46753000/gif/_46753565_uni_numbs_226.gif

This graph doesn't feature the last 10 years, but even so its absolute numbers rather than percentage.   I suspect the difference is down to demographic peak and troughs- ie fewer 18 year olds in the 1990s (but an increasing percentage attending), then a mini-boom of 18 year olds post 2000 etc.

Hence why so there appears so many 20-30 somethings have degrees.

And thers a lot of foriegn students too.

17 minutes ago, spyguy said:

And thers a lot of foriegn students too.

Literally just got in from a few jobs in Durham, literally wall to wall with Asian students (there is a Japanese college also), but it seems to be very heavily overseas students this intake.

On 20/09/2018 at 12:21, Dorkins said:

Not only a trim but also changing, more Doctors and less graduates from some other subjects.

18 hours ago, NorthernMonkey said:

Literally just got in from a few jobs in Durham, literally wall to wall with Asian students (there is a Japanese college also), but it seems to be very heavily overseas students this intake.

It’s literally a branch of Teikyo University. 

4 minutes ago, Saving For a Space Ship said:

From the US ..

Despite the economic recovery, student debtors' 'monster in the closet' has only worsened

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/09/21/the-student-loan-bubble.html

When i went to uni, the Us system looked expensive.

Today, relative to the uk, its cheap.

The Uk clever idea of student finance is going to be another Carillion.

They should make them debts and let the student default on them.

Theres something rotten about us and uk system, protecting the crditors on loans.

The cost should be bourne by 3 parties - ukgov, he sector and student.

If the stufent fails to repay loan then the pain needs shifting back to tge other two.

No feedback, no risk - thats not a market its slavery.

Bring a lemon law on HE

Edited by spyguy

Student debt is untenable, and the worst thing, in my view, about it all, is that there's this notion one has to have a degree in order to get a proper job.  If you want to become a professional in most areas, the only entrance criteria you have is a degree in a subject they list.  If you don't have one, you don't shortlist.  So the youth of today are forced down this route in order to follow a path they've chosen.  Child #1 wants to be a Doctor.  That means, minimum, £150k debt.  Then house prices so ridiculously out of touch.  I wonder why kids decide still to go to Uni.

When I grew up, my first degree was free and I was actually paid to do it.  As were most modern politicians.  The youth of today, is the country of tomorrow and to heap massive debt on them is criminally negligent for the health of the country.

Child #1 is in the middle of A levels.  I am tempted to move to France once she's finished, register her as French, so she can apply to Welsh and Scottish Unis to pay the fees the locals do, not the fees the English are forced to.

On 20/09/2018 at 11:33, spyguy said:

i "News":  Three UK universities on the brink of bankruptcy and more reliant on short-term loans ‘to survive’

and then the BBC runs with it

BBC News: Would a university really be allowed to go bust?

Would ministers really stand back and not intervene?

The government has to say that it would allow universities to crash - otherwise it would in effect be offering a blank cheque.
But it would be a brave education minister who would let it happen, without stepping in with emergency bailouts, merger deals, property sell-offs or new management.

I really can't see the problem with academically worthless places such as Brighton or Southampton Solent Universities, to pick two not completely at random, going bankrupt.

31 minutes ago, Will! said:

i "News":  Three UK universities on the brink of bankruptcy and more reliant on short-term loans ‘to survive’

I really can't see the problem with academically worthless places such as Brighton or Southampton Solent Universities, to pick two not completely at random, going bankrupt.

I would be very happy if my uni went bust, I wish it had done before I had gone there.  (I don't want to say where, I don't want to go too much personal info).

30 minutes ago, Will! said:

Smells of lobbying.

Irs insane if they are using bridging loans, expevying next years numbers to improve. Theyll get worse.

If china kicks off and pulls its students for a few years then therell be more than 2 or 3 going under.

Id let one or two burn.

Go thru books with toothcomb and take civil cases agsinst vc n management, strip them of everything.

That would concentrate minds.

52 minutes ago, iamnumerate said:

I would be very happy if my uni went bust, I wish it had done before I had gone there.  (I don't want to say where, I don't want to go too much personal info).

But then you would have gone to a different Uni, but you can also wished that went bust.

1 minute ago, prozac said:

But then you would have gone to a different Uni, but you can also wished that went bust.

I would have gone to a better one - I had the grades for a better one but  had family pressure to go a rubbish one  for reasons that are too boring to go into.

1 minute ago, iamnumerate said:

I would have gone to a better one - I had the grades for a better one but  had family pressure to go a rubbish one  for reasons that are too boring to go into.

So your family made you go to a rubbish university

I assume you did not go to one of great universities like Oxford or Cambridge or Hull