House Price Crash Forum
long time lurking

Next Domino To Fall Hungary Vote On The 2 October ?

Hungary will hold a referendum on October 2 to decide if the country will further accept the EU’s mandatory migrant quota system. Prime Minister Viktor Orban, who initiated the decision, earlier said a “no” vote would be in favor of Hungary's independence

https://www.rt.com/news/349536-hungary-referendum-migrant-quotas/?utm_source=browser&utm_medium=aplication_chrome&utm_campaign=chrome

Sounds like an in out vote in a different dress to me ?

Edited by long time lurking

Dont really see it as an out vote.

Based on the one Hungarian person I know, it is likely to be a strong rejection of the quotas (and who can blame them, they did not think they were signing up to that when they joined the EU)

Could get interesting if this means other EU countries start to pick and choose which parts of European regulation they want to implement.

Based on the one Hungarian person I know, it is likely to be a strong rejection of the quotas (and who can blame them, they did not think they were signing up to that when they joined the EU)

Sounds familiar....

From what I hear from the Hungarian in-laws it is more about the migrants. They were very annoyed at the dictatorial stance from Brussels over the new rules. This mainly is down to the fact the initial meeting on quotas was supposed to be concensus only and then got changed by the powers that be to a vote when it was obvious there would be no agreement amongst the states. When Brussels compounded that with the EUR250k/per refugee fines for not complying the Huns were outraged.

Given the savage occupation of the country by the Ottomans they have a huge grudge against Islam. You can find some lovely old mosques converted to churches in the country. One of my favourite phrases in Hungarian - Lo'fasz a seggedbe (horses dick in your ass) comes from a particularly messy form of execution used in the time where victims were impaled on stakes. The horse bit in Hungarian and the Ottoman word for stake being very similar.

Not sure they want out of the EU given the number of Hungarians working in western Europe (300k in the UK alone, more in Germany)

From what I hear from the Hungarian in-laws it is more about the migrants. They were very annoyed at the dictatorial stance from Brussels over the new rules. This mainly is down to the fact the initial meeting on quotas was supposed to be concensus only and then got changed by the powers that be to a vote when it was obvious there would be no agreement amongst the states. When Brussels compounded that with the EUR250k/per refugee fines for not complying the Huns were outraged.

Given the savage occupation of the country by the Ottomans they have a huge grudge against Islam. You can find some lovely old mosques converted to churches in the country. One of my favourite phrases in Hungarian - Lo'fasz a seggedbe (horses dick in your ass) comes from a particularly messy form of execution used in the time where victims were impaled on stakes. The horse bit in Hungarian and the Ottoman word for stake being very similar.

Not sure they want out of the EU given the number of Hungarians working in western Europe (300k in the UK alone, more in Germany)

Yes that`s what the vote has been declared as but the part in bold is the part i`m questioning,what dose it mean ?

Hungary will hold a referendum on October 2 to decide if the country will further accept the EU’s mandatory migrant quota system. Prime Minister Viktor Orban, who initiated the decision, earlier said a “no” vote would be in favor of Hungary's independence

Yes that`s what the vote has been declared as but the part in bold is the part i`m questioning,what dose it mean ?

It means they generally really don't like non-European foreigners, especially the Middle Eastern ones. Orban is trying to stop the 3rd placed party Jobbik from gaining any ground, more here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jobbik. They also are generally not very keen on gays or gypsies, just ask a Hungarian next time you meet one, that is also true for a lot of Eastern Europeans generally, especially Poles. They don't buy into our politically correct polices that we have in the UK as there were none during communism and people could not voice any protest under the Soviets. Now they can speak and they do but they are 20-30 years behind in terms of PC.

As an aside, SJW's in the UK complain that UKIP is racist, I would love a SJW and a Jobbik supporter to have a chat. The poor trigglypuffs head would explode.

Externally Orban's position on the vote and the possibility of leaving is to put pressure on Brussels to drop the quotas, the fines and the meddling by Brussels in all of the V4 countries (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visegr%C3%A1d_Group). Recent EU positions on the PiS in Poland and on Hungary are causing a many in the East to compare the EU to the Soviets.

It means they generally really don't like non-European foreigners, especially the Middle Eastern ones. Orban is trying to stop the 3rd placed party Jobbik from gaining any ground, more here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jobbik. They also are generally not very keen on gays or gypsies, just ask a Hungarian next time you meet one, that is also true for a lot of Eastern Europeans generally, especially Poles. They don't buy into our politically correct polices that we have in the UK as there were none during communism and people could not voice any protest under the Soviets. Now they can speak and they do but they are 20-30 years behind in terms of PC.

As an aside, SJW's in the UK complain that UKIP is racist, I would love a SJW and a Jobbik supporter to have a chat. The poor trigglypuffs head would explode.

Externally Orban's position on the vote and the possibility of leaving is to put pressure on Brussels to drop the quotas, the fines and the meddling by Brussels in all of the V4 countries (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visegr%C3%A1d_Group). Recent EU positions on the PiS in Poland and on Hungary are causing a many in the East to compare the EU to the Soviets.

Well on that point i know a sikh taxi driver that voted leave for that reason alone,and said most in their community were doing the same for the same reason

The local Hindu's here as well :lol:

Back to Hungary though, many families have people working in Germany/Austria/UK. They send home a lot of money. One of my relatives in law has the wife working as a nurse in Germany and the husband plus kid in Hungary. She sends home more cash than they would earn between them at home. The V4 states are not well off, jobs outside the cities are scarce since the West asset stripped them when the Warsaw pact collapsed. For that reason alone I doubt they will leave without an EU-lite being in place. I do think Britain should start to make overtures to the V4 on just this point and create a coalition of friendly states without the government/laws/rules of the EU. If we can offer an alternative they may well be tempted as would some western states.

Will report back after the vote as I will be visiting Hungary for a few weeks later this year. The food, booze and company is great, I do recommend you see for yourself :D

I do think Britain should start to make overtures to the V4 on just this point and create a coalition of friendly states without the government/laws/rules of the EU. If we can offer an alternative they may well be tempted as would some western states.

Far too early for that kind of deliberate de-stabilisation of the EU. We need to wait for the EU to see if it can change itself based on the views of its own populations and wait for moderate voices to emerge.

Technocratic visionaries and nativist egotists - a pox on both their houses.

The food, booze and company is great, I do recommend you see for yourself :D

Loved Budapest. Sadly haven't seen any more of the country.

I take it English and German are reasonably widely spoken, at least by people in places most likely to be of interest to tourists?

Edited by porca misèria

Loved Budapest. Sadly haven't seen any more of the country.

I take it English and German are reasonably widely spoken, at least by people in places most likely to be of interest to tourists?

English is widely spoken, lake balaton is superb and tokaj wine spot on, Pecs worth a visit too

The local Hindu's here as well :lol:

Back to Hungary though, many families have people working in Germany/Austria/UK. They send home a lot of money. One of my relatives in law has the wife working as a nurse in Germany and the husband plus kid in Hungary. She sends home more cash than they would earn between them at home. The V4 states are not well off, jobs outside the cities are scarce since the West asset stripped them when the Warsaw pact collapsed. For that reason alone I doubt they will leave without an EU-lite being in place. I do think Britain should start to make overtures to the V4 on just this point and create a coalition of friendly states without the government/laws/rules of the EU. If we can offer an alternative they may well be tempted as would some western states.

Will report back after the vote as I will be visiting Hungary for a few weeks later this year. The food, booze and company is great, I do recommend you see for yourself :D

Never been but found Bulgaria great apart from the Romanian section now putting a bit of a damper on it

Why behind? Other countries have different ways. We need to stop thinking that our ways are better and trying to change other states. If they chose to adopt some of our customs it's up to them.

Well on that point i know a sikh taxi driver that voted leave for that reason alone,and said most in their community were doing the same for the same reason

Sorry why did he vote leave exactly?

Anecdotally, 100% of my Sikh friends (I have a few) voted out - these are all middle class professional types by the way.

We need to wait for the EU to see if it can change itself based on the views of its own populations and wait for moderate voices to emerge.

Like that's gonna happen.

The EU is going the way of the USSR, for all the same reasons.

Like that's gonna happen.

The EU is going the way of the USSR, for all the same reasons.

...individual countries will take their own action ...and democracy will prevail ....this referendum in Hungary is a case in point.... :rolleyes: