House Price Crash Forum

Politicians Without Kids, Why Would They Care About What Happens?

DEATH

HOLA441

I am glad I have no kids. I do have many nieces and nephews whom I want to have happy lives, but I don't consider myself in the game as to what happens in future.

Would politicians without kids really care that much about what happens in the future?

Theresa May has no kids and has about 20 years or so left in her. Where does her motivation come from? She has no daughters to worry about...

Other child free politicians I can think of:

Peter Mandelson (pro mass immigration)

Edward Heath (took us into the common market/Europe)

Angela Merkel (pro mass immigration)

Adolf Hitler (killed everyone)

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
HOLA443

Why would anyone not care about what happens in the future? I would find that very odd.

The greatest mass murderers in history (Stalin, Hiter, Pol Pot) and the most evil terrorists were all carrying out those acts because in their eyes they were improving the future. Even Heath and Mandelson thought they were doing good for the future. We just have different views on what is good.

Personally I would be horrified if I thought that by my actions or inactions Britain became an islamic state.

In my experience people with children tend to be primarily concerned about their children having a good future whereas people without children want everybody to have a good future.

HOLA444

I was thinking more along the lines of having a stake in the future. If you have no kids you don't really.

There are plenty of people posting on here about being glad they have no kids because of the fear of what lies ahead with unlimited immigration.

HOLA445

^ Wot Frank Hovis said.

Having children might be an extra motivator because you (hopefully) care about them and want a good life for them, but personally speaking I also care about the country I live in and want that to be good, because I like and care about a lot of that too (which is why I get so pissed off at the constant fvcking it up for reasons I mostly find shallow, short-sighted and puerile).

Why is having kids having a stake in the future? At the end of the day even if you helped create them they're not you any more than anyone else is. You're closer to them so'll probably care more but that's as far as that goes IMO.

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

Most of the over-50s have children and grandchildren, doesn't stop them wanting high house prices and writing NIMBY letters to the local newspaper.

Writing those letters is because they do care, anyone not upset about crap (or even non-crap, if it ever happens) getting built doesn't deserve a future. True it doesn't add up to a growing population but that's one big reason why a growing population is a reason to dislike the look of the future and fear it (putting aside the high house prices largely being driven by too much credit thing - another reason to find the future depressing, considering all the damage that that's doing). It might not be putting two and two together and getting four but it certainly is caring about the future.

HOLA4411

On the flip side, in my experience (I have no kids) my friends who had children are more likely to become more selfish and inward-looking, concerned only about their family unit and not the wider community, not less. At least for the first 10 years or so - they get more engaged once their kids need university, jobs, housing etc.

HOLA4412

I genuinely couldn't give a shit about the future.

I veer towards this as well.

That's not to say I want bad things to happen or anything. I just don't worry too much about it.

I reckon the Human race is heading for some self inflicted extinction pretty soon.

So may as well just enjoy what you have today. For example - I am off to get reeking in Helsinki then Tallin tomorrow for a wee holiday.

HOLA4413

I find that very odd.

That's fair enough and can understand some people might find it odd.

That's not to say I want bad things to happen or anything. I just don't worry too much about it.

I reckon the Human race is heading for some self inflicted extinction pretty soon.

So may as well just enjoy what you have today. For example - I am off to get reeking in Helsinki then Tallin tomorrow for a wee holiday.

I think the human race has a very high opinion of itself, it's got no divine rights, it will be subject to the same natural law that's seen mass extinction in the past. The earth will survive, in fact it will thrive without us.

I suspect we have a similar out look, not caring about the future might seem a bit to nillistic, but like you I live in the moment, that's not that I don't have personal plans for the future, things to look forward to and so on, but I'm really not concerned about the long term future of myself, the next generation or the long term future of anything. I won't be here to see it and I generally couldn't care less if it all goes to hell in a hand cart. I don't feel anything I do will really change the course of the planet, the country or much beyond my personal experience, that's not to say I or somebody else cannot do that, but I'm not going to dedicate my life to that aim when I can enjoy what little time relatively I do have on this earth.

That might make me seem like a totally unfeeling ******* who doesn't care about anybody else, it's in fact quite the reverse.

HOLA4414

Don't get depressed, and jump out of a tall building, like the "fun loving " Finns. :huh:

HOLA4415

Extremely strange thought.

You can start from my angle....all life on earth is related. The beasts, even the grass are our cousins. We are a total system. Even if man disappears from the face of the earth, even if only bacteria are left after some disaster, something will evolve to eventually fill the niche we occupy. The thought gives me great hope actually.

So, even if you only have relatives left, or even some English people, or European people, or any people.....then someone can care about the future in the way you consider.

I definitely, definitely do not want someone who is ambivalent as to whether the future of life on Earth includes humans, to be in charge of nuclear launch codes.

HOLA4416

The greatest mass murderers in history (Stalin, Hiter, Pol Pot) and the most evil terrorists were all carrying out those acts because in their eyes they were improving the future. Even Heath and Mandelson thought they were doing good for the future.

Even Heath and Mandelson? They must be really bad.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418

Plenty of theories online about how Merkel's single, childless position is a key driver in her opening the doors to lots of young, virile, aggressive men.

HOLA4419

Plenty of theories online about how Merkel's single, childless position is a key driver in her opening the doors to lots of young, virile, aggressive men.

Whether we want female leaders is another question ...

HOLA4420

Extremely strange thought.

You can start from my angle....all life on earth is related. The beasts, even the grass are our cousins. We are a total system. Even if man disappears from the face of the earth, even if only bacteria are left after some disaster, something will evolve to eventually fill the niche we occupy. The thought gives me great hope actually.

So, even if you only have relatives left, or even some English people, or European people, or any people.....then someone can care about the future in the way you consider.

I've thought something similar when considering the 'islamification of Europe'. I have many acquaintances who really don't seem concerned. What if they're right? What if the long game is so long that your particular heritage and genetics don't really matter? What if your ideology and culture are, in the long run, ultimately unprotectable?

In this context is the idea of passing on or protecting a particular culture for your children just quaint animal instinct?

HOLA4421

I definitely, definitely do not want someone who is ambivalent as to whether the future of life on Earth includes humans, to be in charge of nuclear launch codes.

On this point, there is the question of would you retaliate with MAD if someone launched a niclear first strike?

Or would you see a long game where the preservation of life, regardless of the culture or genetics as more important?

HOLA4422
HOLA4423

I would say not enough people care about the future of their country or of the world, children or no children...they are far to busy accumulating either stuff, power,importance and/or ego for themselves today....others live from hand to mouth tomorrow they may be dead.

HOLA4424

Don't get depressed, and jump out of a tall building, like the "fun loving " Finns. :huh:

Gotta agree with Pinny here - just get pissed until you fall out of the pub like the "fight and beer loving" English..!

XYY

HOLA4425

I hope you have deep pockets.

I once met a depressed Finnish businessman in Dublin who had flown to Ireland in order to get drunk. (seriously)

Archived