House Price Crash Forum
Simon Taylor

Anyone Want To Speculate What Happens Next?

More free money for the rich.

They wont stop until the system collapses now or there is real trouble.

I expect a week long "bank holiday" some time

Get your freezer stocked up and some tins in.

Edited by TheCountOfNowhere

At some point during 2017 inflation will be above 2% while at the same time bank rate will be below 0.5%. Inflation will come back down fairly quickly, but the protests from voter/savers will make politicians tremble. At the same time nominal house prices will be falling right across the country, with London falling fastest of all. Some politicians will use all that to call for the repeal of the S24 legislation, doubt that they'll be successful but it will make for a dodgy few weeks.

More free money for the rich.

They wont stop until the system collapses now or there is real trouble.

I expect a week long "bank holiday" some time

Get your freezer stocked up and some tins in.

always wise to keeps a couple of weeks of food, people think I am nuts but the missus is from a disaster prone country where this is common practice.

You just buy a couple of extra things every time you do a shop and it soon builds up, people in the uk have a far too comfortable illusion of safety. If a bank holiday happens unexpectedly and the banks go to shit you will be up shit creek if all you have is a couple of condiments.

BTW Im not saying get a crossbow and prepare for the zombie apocalypse, its just the UK had become lazy and comfortable and a banking issue is a very real possibility.

As an example a critical water main burst recently and I was a good few hours with no supply, this is a lot more trouble than you would realize but I could still get my brew on, f+ck knows how some in my street would have coped had it lasted a couple of days :)

Having cash on hand is useful as well for these periods.

You'd be surprised how few people actually have any cash available to them at home.

Edited by Errol

In Venezuela right now people are eating there pets. Some other countries are not far off this.

All you have to imagine is everyone goes to use there bank card and nothing happens, first day it would be just technical issues everything is fine blah blah,, second day people start getting edgy, supermarkets start getting low. Third day people kicking off tv full of mothers without baby food. fourth day ******ing chaos as every selfish asshole goes out for himself.

Our MPs are f+cking hopeless and our banks are hopeless and also evil sociopaths so if it goes tits no-one is looking out for you, if you wait on gov sorted it you will go hungry.

Its just a good idea to have some noodles beans and other long term storing foods. If nothing happens you eat them anyway its no loss.

In Venezuela right now people are eating there pets. Some other countries are not far off this.

All you have to imagine is everyone goes to use there bank card and nothing happens, first day it would be just technical issues everything is fine blah blah,, second day people start getting edgy, supermarkets start getting low. Third day people kicking off tv full of mothers without baby food. fourth day ******ing chaos as every selfish asshole goes out for himself.

Our MPs are f+cking hopeless and our banks are hopeless and also evil sociopaths so if it goes tits no-one is looking out for you, if you wait on gov sorted it you will go hungry.

Its just a good idea to have some noodles beans and other long term storing foods. If nothing happens you eat them anyway its no loss.

four days? I'd give it 1 1/2 - 2

observe the ridiculous "outrage" afterwards when the internet or facebook goes down for an hour

The thing that shocked me when seeing the Venezuela crisis on the TV wasn't that people were eating their pets, it's that there were still some items left in the supermarket! Us Brits know how to panic buy, those lightweights...

In all seriousness though, if the banking system went under now, but 6pm tonight every shop would be sold out of everything.

Edited by spunko2010

four days? I'd give it 1 1/2 - 2

observe the ridiculous "outrage" afterwards when the internet or facebook goes down for an hour

lol true

It has become a panic-pussy culture of SJWs who need safe spaces and are triggered by ********. I wonder how complaint they will remain when It all goes tits.

Is that £150bn they are talking about making available today on the top of the £250bn they were making available last week? These are seriously big numbers they are throwing around. What the f*** is going on?

Not sure how this thread went Mad-Max, simply because the MSM picking up something long expected on HPC, and covered in detail last few weeks.

Stress-testing BTL mortgage at ever higher levels of cover; 145%. Just one part of the face-ripping and under-bus throwing of the BTLers.

Just put the rents up innit, with apologies to the wig....

Apologies? you got in there first, innit! No BTL'er would ever apologise for getting in first! :P

'Just put the rents, innit' should really be the HPC catchphrase and boldly displayed on the homepage! :)

Not sure how this thread went Mad-Max, simply because the MSM picking up something long expected on HPC, and covered in detail last few weeks.

Stress-testing BTL mortgage at ever higher levels of cover; 145%. Just one part of the face-ripping and under-bus throwing of the BTLers.

I'm hoping they stick to their guns on this as I'm sure they will, despite my cynical side screaming otherwise! Nice spread of vulnerable BTL cities across the UK which should make for some even falls for all. London is it's own unpredictable beast.

This momentum looks irreversible, the suspension of 2 UK property funds perhaps our first real glimpse into the psychology of a downturn, the clever money is pulling out because there are so many other "safer" options across the Globe as things currently stand, why risk your money at all in a low yield environment?

If it sticks. Carney's loosening of the bank capital buffers today may mean it's business as usual. It would be nice if, for once, someone took a decision for the long term interests of the country.

Our economy imploding in real time???

GBP at 1.30 USD, FFS.... another ALL TIME LOW

Mutual funds in trouble.

Investment shrinking.

Corporate tax breaks.

Income & inheritance taxes up.

QE to infinity.

Racial / hate crime attacks continue...queue the police state.

Lawyers & industry leaders (unelected) create the new laws and trade agreements if Brexit follows through?

The top 1% double or quadruple their wealth in all this uncertainty...ie disaster capitalism.

"Stop scaremongering!" "There's a Polish family on my street!" "We don't need immigration" Random BREXIT leave voter says...

Yes we do: http://www.parliament.uk/business/committees/committees-a-z/commons-select/education-skills-and-economy/news-parliament-2015/careers-advice-report-published-16-17/

Inadequate careers advice is exacerbating skills gap report finds

The Sub-Committee found that too many young people are leaving education without having had the chance to fully consider their future options or how their skills and experiences fit with opportunities in the jobs market.

AKA your BRITISH government is failing the future of the nation.

What? No young people want desire to graft and do the generally menial labour roles that 'immigrants' are filling for a tuppence? FFS. What sorcery is this?

Edited by cashinmattress

Law expert David Allen Green is fairly sure that Article 50 will not be invoked (his twitter feed is entertaining)

Looks like government will maintain A50 by prerogative but with vote on 1972 Act. Which would be parliamentary vote on A50 by other means.

I don't have a legal background so I don't know if he has a case. Surely if a pro-Leave candidate becomes PM, they can invoke Article 50 without having to get Parliament's approval? Or are they legally required to get Parliamentary approval?

Soft patch (economy) into early 2017 followed by a boom (low real rates, full employment, low ££)

Our economy imploding in real time???

GBP at 1.30 USD, FFS.... another ALL TIME LOW

Mutual funds in trouble.

Investment shrinking.

Corporate tax breaks.

Income & inheritance taxes up.

QE to infinity.

Racial / hate crime attacks continue...queue the police state.

Lawyers & industry leaders (unelected) create the new laws and trade agreements if Brexit follows through?

The top 1% double or quadruple their wealth in all this uncertainty...ie disaster capitalism.

"Stop scaremongering!" "There's a Polish family on my street!" "We don't need immigration" Random BREXIT leave voter says...

Yes we do: http://www.parliament.uk/business/committees/committees-a-z/commons-select/education-skills-and-economy/news-parliament-2015/careers-advice-report-published-16-17/

AKA your BRITISH government is failing the future of the nation.

What? No young people want desire to graft and do the generally menial labour roles that 'immigrants' are filling for a tuppence? FFS. What sorcery is this?

Aaahh! RUN!

It's quite possible the over heated global economy is going to go into reverse.

What you can guarantee is, that whatever bad happens the will not be blamed on the mad economic policies of the last 12 or so years, but all the fault of Brexit voters.