House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

justthisbloke

Anyone Else Watching The Tdf?

I think they've finally decided to start racing. Until now they've been ambling along at about 30km/hr and chatting.

For those who don't follow cycling, give it a go[1]. It's an awesome combination of the cerebral and the physical.

[1] As a spectator, that is. Unless you're superman.

Yep quite addictive to watch.

The first day was a cracker. Sprints and crashes - bonus !!

Even MrPin is amazed at this drugfest! :blink:

I might watch (in person) later this week.

I've seen it twice in the flesh - once on the Tourmalet up from Sainte-Marie-de-Campan and once in Portsmouth. It's an atmospheric day out but if you want to watch the race you really need a TV.

I am amazed that they have not started to have cameras on the bikes or helmets of the riders - stir it up a bit, give some more exciting camera views.

OK, some bloke would have to carry a 50 pound transceiver and battery pack but, hey, it is not as if all of them are trying to win it. They could randomly pick several riders each day to be wired up to a camera.

Pretty sure I heard they have cameras on bikes this year.

Seen nothing to back that up though.

Pretty sure I heard they have cameras on bikes this year.

Seen nothing to back that up though.

Is it something you only get if you give Murdoch your wife, daughters, pets and all your cash?

Itv mustn't have the rights ? Would think they would be all over this if they did.

Itv mustn't have the rights ? Would think they would be all over this if they did.

Eurosport and ITV are broadcasting it live every day according to the Telegraph. I had forgotten that it is on - pretty poor advertising of it.

Total chaos today, wasn't it!

First time anyone's seen the bloke in the yellow jersey on foot and legging it up Mt Ventoux.

Saw the start of a stage in Granville.......and through/near Coutances, the caravan before they throw plastic bits and pieces at you, got a chip yellow bag and washing liquid, the kids got sweets and pencils,magnets, hats and keyrings.......well worth going if you can ever get the chance.;)

So basicallly the crowd just made the route narrower and narrower until none of the vehicles could get any futher, they stopped and the riders rode into the back of a motor-cyclist?

Then his support team were some way back.

Odd isn't it - major events likes Euro 2016 or the Olympics and everyone is worrying about ISIS, blah, blah. Never hear anyone worrying about security at the TDF. Totally impossible to police.

So basicallly the crowd just made the route narrower and narrower until none of the vehicles could get any futher, they stopped and the riders rode into the back of a motor-cyclist?

Then his support team were some way back.

Odd isn't it - major events likes Euro 2016 or the Olympics and everyone is worrying about ISIS, blah, blah. Never hear anyone worrying about security at the TDF. Totally impossible to police.

Lycra louts

Suspected terrorist attack in Nice happening now. People dead.

I was on about the 'fans' who can't behave themselves - they shouldn't need policing.

I was on about the 'fans' who can't behave themselves - they shouldn't need policing.

Yes, I realised that.

I just felt awful that I posted above about the security of the Tour and, moments later, hear of this terrorist attack in France.

Suspect a lot of the crowd issues today were exacerbated by the shortened finish. It is not unknown for fans to gather days ahead of the race going through famous stages like Ventoux, and lopping a third from the climb due to weather concerns would have likely increased crowd density on the lower slopes.