House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
laurejon

The Cost Of Christmas

As each Christmas passes us by it does appear that it has become more and more a time to spend money rather than a time to understand the meaning of Christmas as it was first intended.

On that note, I am curious to know how much each of you spent this year.

How much is reasonable these days to spend on an individual such as a son or a daughter?.

I am curious as I witnessed something today at my new squeezes house that quite frankly shocked me, a child complaining that they had not had enough spent on them. She spent 300 quid on each of the children with Ipods and other useless tat that in my day would be something you would work many saturdays in the local butchers delivering the meat and making sausages from the lips and arses from the skeletal remains of the Cows and Sheep to achieve.

Maybe I am tight fisted but to me 300 quid on a child is not only excessive but I do think it is the reason why so many children now know the price of everything and the value of nothing and I am sure we are doing them no favours in preparing them for their forthcoming adult lives.

We spent approx. £25.00 on our 4 year old and £20.00 on our 2 year old. However, as each year passes we will find it more difficult not to sucumb to their expectations. Toy advertisments seem to have a massive impact on my daughter's wants. When I explained to her that toys cost money, she replied innocently that "it is okay because Santa makes them." She had asked for a scooter but I felt that by purchasing this, we would be on the slippery slope, so have explained to her that if she is lucky, we will buy one for her next year.

We do not intend spoiling our children, even though we have the means to do so, relatively speaking.

In addition, I think £300 is a lot of money for any a child regardless of age!

Edited by Buffer Bear

\Maybe I am tight fisted but to me 300 quid on a child is not only excessive but I do think it is the reason why so many children now know the price of everything and the value of nothing and I am sure we are doing them no favours in preparing them for their forthcoming adult lives.

Strongly agreed.

CAD$150 per child. It's not how much you spend, it's what you buy. Our middle one's (age 9) favourite was the harmonica ($2). Wife and I spend nowt on each other, as we loathe gift giving.

Buying Christmas presents drives both myself and my family nuts, so we tend to keep it to a minimum. Maybe I'm tight, but I've spent about 120 quid and that includes presents and food.

me and soon to be missus Gcs15 (gcs16 :unsure: ) bought ALL our presents over the year. We did this because 1) we hate shopping and 2) why not grab the perfect gift when you see it rather than wait till december?

Anyhow I thought we were all pretty much done then my old lady (read mother) said to me that my presents last year were shite and I should do better. So much for the christmas spirit.

To top it all off soon to be Mrs Gcs15 wanted a "chunky necklace". Now there are two types of "chunky necklaces" the $10 type or the $5,000 type. Recall that I am a full time student......

So a nice G-shock watch was the order of the day. Equivalent to a weeks wage for me (sorry there are no crying smilies)

Christmas is about getting tanked with your family eating nice food. It 'aint about the gifts and it 'aint about the food (so stop stressing about dinner already). It's about having a good time (with alcohol) :)

Hope you all had a good time :P

We went on strike and confined Christmas spending to some nice wine, port, cheese and good food. Non-food/drink presents got about 20 quid. If enough people did the same the economy would produce some interesting results that may push the "stagnant" (VI speak for going down with ever increasing momentum) house prices over the edge.

More fool me I asked my nieces, nephews and other kids I buy for to write a list of five things they wanted for christmas and to give it to mum and dad. I then asked the parents to cross out anything they has or planned to buy so no one got two of the same thing and to highlight something the kid wanted in particular so they'd get something they "Really wanted"

Imagine my shock when I got a lists of expensive gadgets, desinger labels and X Box360 games. There wasn't one thing less than £45 on any of them and these kids are all less than nine years old. One actually had the cheek to highlight the actual X-box 360 console, those things cost £300 or more FFS. Another highlighted a mini ipod.........Even I don't have ipod yet. Even if I'd picked the cheapest item off each list I'd be spending over £250, not a vastly huge sum of money but not chump change either.

Kids expectation are far too high now, I use to be happy with a few board games, a Beno annual and a selection box. Now it seems it has to be designer, it has to be the latest thing and it has to cost a lot of money.

Anyway I DID get each of them something off the lists they gave buy no one got what they wanted most. Combine that with the cost of food and buying for my nearest and dearest and everything else I spent about £750.

I spent much less on Christmas this year yet got the happiest reactions to the gifts I gave.

I used Ebay for quite a bit of stuff this year. My brother's extremely religious and I found a Victorian screenprint of the Last Supper which I won for £2. I put it into a nice frame and that was him done. A good friend of mine is a huge Tottenham fan so I bought him an original program from 1975 for the grand total of £3, put it in a frame and he was thrilled believe it or not (put it straight up on his bedroom wall). Most of the gifts I bought were along the lines of this type of idea and then "topped up" with "commercial tat" for under a fiver.

The most expensive item was a Tom Tom Sat Nav for my partner (wanted one since last year and NEEDS it). I got that for £219 instead of the £279 it was advertised at in Halfords so made a huge saving.

All in all I've spent around £340 this year for everything. I'd usually spend more than that in the January sales alone.

Weird thing is I've had one of the best Christmases in a long time!

As each Christmas passes us by it does appear that it has become more and more a time to spend money rather than a time to understand the meaning of Christmas as it was first intended.

How much is reasonable these days to spend on an individual such as a son or a daughter?.

I am curious as I witnessed something today at my new squeezes house that quite frankly shocked me, a child complaining that they had not had enough spent on them. She spent 300 quid on each of the children with Ipods and other useless tat that in my day would be something you would work many saturdays in the local butchers delivering the meat and making sausages from the lips and arses from the skeletal remains of the Cows and Sheep to achieve.

Maybe I am tight fisted but to me 300 quid on a child is not only excessive but I do think it is the reason why so many children now know the price of everything and the value of nothing and I am sure we are doing them no favours in preparing them for their forthcoming adult lives.

I reckon I`ve burnt an extra two grand cash :huh: The three kids, 12,9,4 accounted for approx. £700 including new clothes. Food bill quite large relatives staying with us etc. The rest a few nights out, pressies for the wife, relatives etc. Sod it..it`s only money...right? :o

spent about 50 quid for about 7 people, mostly cheap stuff from closing down sales/shops, or little independant funky shops. All very thoughtful, everything looked like it cost me alot more, backed up by some stuff from woolies. Bought my christmas cards later than usual, all reduced in price, mostly handmade, but nice messages in them all. Everyone seemed very happy :) Reused the tesco christmas tree and decorations from last year, (tree was 7 quid, lights and decorations all for about a fiver)...

Those ebay ideas sounds great, and very thoughtful...

Edited by moosetea

Guest Bart of Darkness

I would guess about £240 overall.

Most expensive item was £30.

Almost all of it (bar gift vouchers) bought on-line.

I love Boxing Day by the way.

Why?

Because it's the most number of days in the year before next Christmas!

Bah! Humbug! :angry:

I'd say about a grand in total, with 3 children and hubby and I buying each other nice presents. However that is the last year we are doing the big piles in the living room after a huge sack full at the end of the bed.

Most of it they aren't really that bothered about and really we should have just bought the one present they really really wanted each.

I don't know the total I've spent this year, but it's not more than £50 per head.

My daughter has just turned 3 and she is having a brilliant time painting a ceramic piggy bank in her own unique style (it's currently 5 colours that nature couldn't match and growing!!).

Yesterday we visited some friends who both have v.v.well paid jobs. Their living room was like the prize display of a well-funded gameshow (I estimate about a grand spent on each kid) BUT you could tell that their kids were already getting bored with their stuff and after a few days/weeks would be expecting more high-priced gizmos to replace it.

I was quite surprised that my little girl didn't get at all jealous, she much preferred playing hide-and-seek in the cardboard boxes. I guess it's largely about managing expectations BUT it's also very important that the grown-ups don't try to keep up with the Jones'.

I must admit, I find it very hard NOT to feel a little jealous every time we visit this particular couple BUT it never lasts long (thankfully).

BTW, Happy New Year to all at this site..............

Edited by colonel faulkner

I don't know the total I've spent this year, but it's not more than £50 per head.

My daughter has just turned 3 and she is having a brilliant time painting a ceramic piggy bank in her own unique style (it's currently 5 colours that nature couldn't match and growing!!).

Yesterday we visited some friends who both have v.v.well paid jobs. Their living room was like the prize display of a well-funded gameshow (I estimate about a grand spent on each kid) BUT you could tell that their kids were already getting bored with their stuff and after a few days/weeks would be expecting more high-priced gizmos to replace it.

I was quite surprised that my little girl didn't get at all jealous, she much preferred playing hide-and-seek in the cardboard boxes. I guess it's largely about managing expectations BUT it's also very important that the grown-ups don't try to keep up with the Jones'.

I must admit, I find it very hard NOT to feel a little jealous every time we visit this particular couple BUT it never lasts long (thankfully).

BTW, Happy New Year to all at this site..............

OMG personally I'd have spent it on my self :P

It sounds like your bringing your daughter up to prefer mum and dad's presence to presents, I actually feel sorry for your friends children I bet they would rather have a full time parent than two highly paid ones.

Edited by terrified

We stopped re-circulating cheques/cash amongst the family a few years ago.

Nieces and nephews all over 18 now, so no expenditure there either.

Total cost of Xmas presents = £00.00 :)

Food & drink = ~ £50.00 :)

Not too expensive a Xmas then (and nothing put on credit cards). :D

Crisp £50 notes to my two teenage nephews. Nothing to their parents (no-present pact).

Dad got a paperback from me and a promise to pay for a Screwfix order (I owe him 3 presents!).

My mum got a dress or something from my wife.

My wife got me some sweets and a book. I got her a CD, & some second-hand books she was after.

Basically we are all too old for presents.

However, the 5 & 3-year old girlies found a mountain of cheap tat in the living room and had a wonderful time opening it all up. Now I'm spending Xmas assembling Argos circuses and pirate ships, and making crystals and growing Triops (check the catalogue!) and doing 50 'lab experiments'.

Eldest has already spent most of this morning cutting up big boxes and polystyrene to make a landscape for her cars.

I earn a fortune (by my parents' standards) but we all agree we don't want to go mad at Xmas.

Xmas dinner wasn't TOO gluttonous but I still feel full today.

{Edit} forgot to say, I'm against the "Santa makes everything" myth - because the kids aren't expected to be grateful to the present-givers like they would be on their birthday.

Edited by rockdoctor

About £1100 on presents, food, drink, etc. More than usual because my wife and I bought presents for each other this year and we let things slip a little and thought "what the hell we could all be dead next year from bird flu!" ;)

Guest Charlie The Tramp

Well as far as the TV companies go it must have been their cheapest Christmas ever, when you look at the complete c**p they have presented us with. :angry:

Well as far as the TV companies go it must have been their cheapest Christmas ever, when you look at the complete c**p they have presented us with. :angry:

I have to agree TV this year was complete rubbish. I also looked forward to Dr Who, and that was pants too!

i was most disapointed to find there wasnt 'a christmas carol' shown at all this season.

this is a traditional time for me to sit and watch the black and white classic christmas morning in my underpants, drinking coffee and trying to ge christmassy and less headachey, while knowing being the age that i am will only draw a moderate present haul and at best, a fair share of roast potatos.

i can try to cope as it is, but the mini cheddars, despite being all mine do not cut the mustard. i sip canned gin and tonic poured into a glass for a pub effect while looking through the convex enclaves of a traditional english pint pot toward the tree. the fairly lights dance through the frothy brew like spirits they offer consolance to a time once past. a time of getting up early to smell the new plastic to an MB games toy, or the first tidy etchings of a paint by numbers. the brush crisp and accurate until raiders of the lost ark and/or the ham comes out.

too many jelly babies and turkey. too much pimms over kestrel. too many door openings and closes and too stuffy. take me back old london dry gin can. take me back to the time of hornby and the contrasts of a lima train livery against the pitted gangway of an active scalextrix track, envelooped in the hot tang of 240v motors burning into the christmas specials and your best hearth rug.

can you break walnuts in silence during the bond plot ?

would you squirm on a too tangy pickled onion causing your knees to twitch and set off a premature buckaroo ?

how was your chirstmas.?

Guest Bart of Darkness

I have to agree TV this year was complete rubbish. I also looked forward to Dr Who, and that was pants too!

Wasn't the best start for #10 but the last 15 min picked up a bit.

I spent Xmas day mostly watching DVDs instead of the TV.

Guest growl

We have four neices. We spent £20 on each via cheque in card, their parents have got nothing yet and nobody else has either in the family. Our excuse was that we were not visiting anyone since we were going on a two week holiday ski-ing in Switzerland. Hubby and I spent less than £50 on each other and opened our presents on Christmas morning in our hotel room overlookig the Alps. I am writing this from the hotel.

So we have'nt spent that much on presents. But when I get back I will buy some for the adults whom we have'nt seen and probably won't until Easter, but I will spend less than £100.

If they don't like it...tough!

As far as I'm concerned, I would rather go on a winter holiday with my hubby that we have worked hard for all year. Than waste time driving up to the north of England to do the visit at each family members home and listen to their gripes.

Merry Christmas :D