House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Live_in_hope

2006 Here We Go ?

Well another year of renting :(

(I live the southeast (mid beds)

Nearly 3 years of renting in total (in our 4th house) now feeling pretty much shut out of the market & wondering will things change.

I'm pretty much fed up of all the spin we get about house prices the latest talk of stagnation sttagnation - till wages catch up lol, my salary's (albeit a reasonable one) has not really risen much in the last 5 years, especially when you take into the account the utility bills, poll tax, shopping bills, petrol etc etc have increased (by greater %'s than my salary).

Their are nine estate agents in the small town I live in - which must make up 1/4 of all the shops !!.

What do I think will happen !

By June 06

1/3 of the EA's of our high street will dissapear.

By Nov

Prices down 20%

March 07 will be buying that house we wanted but for 30% less than asking price today :)

Roll on 2006 !!!

In hindsight I think people will realise 2005 was the turning point in the market. But 2006 will be the year when it becomes visible to Joe-public. However I don't think we'll see large falls this year.

I agree the economy coupled with low interest rates is just not geared to create a crash scenario at present.

I would suspect that there will be a mellowing of prices this year, however the vast majority of the price drop will be due to Vendors realising that only realist prices will constitute viewings and an eventual sale.

I reckon that late 2007 will be the big turning point with hikes in rates as the world realises that borrowed money has to be repaid plus interest.

Nearly 3 years of renting in total (in our 4th house) now feeling pretty much shut out of the market & wondering will things change.

I'm pretty much fed up of all the spin we get about house prices the latest talk of stagnation sttagnation - till wages catch up lol, my salary's (albeit a reasonable one) has not really risen much in the last 5 years, especially when you take into the account the utility bills, poll tax, shopping bills, petrol etc etc have increased (by greater %'s than my salary).

Their are nine estate agents in the small town I live in - which must make up 1/4 of all the shops !!.

By June 06

By Nov

Prices down 20%

March 07 will be buying that house we wanted but for 30% less than asking price today :)

Roll on 2006 !!!

i think that you have got it more or less right, except that i think it will take anther 3 years to see 30% price reductions.

i will be intrested to see if the vis supporting high prices change tack when they see that the momentum is against them.

aso, will be intereted to see who the government blames for the fallout.

i am sure they wont take any responsibility.

probably come up with some smoke screen acctions to make it look as though they are trying to help

Edited by the don

I agree the economy coupled with low interest rates is just not geared to create a crash scenario at present.

I would suspect that there will be a mellowing of prices this year, however the vast majority of the price drop will be due to Vendors realising that only realist prices will constitute viewings and an eventual sale.

I reckon that late 2007 will be the big turning point with hikes in rates as the world realises that borrowed money has to be repaid plus interest.

Ditto Laurejon. I think 2007 will be when the big changes will takes place which is sods law because I have to buy something by the end of 2006 :unsure:

Ditto Laurejon. I think 2007 will be when the big changes will takes place which is sods law because I have to buy something by the end of 2006 :unsure:

why? arent you in control of your own life?

By June 06

By Nov

Prices down 20%

Roll on 2006 !!!

you make a good point there live-in-hope.

I don't think the bulls have cottoned on that the utility bills are swallowing up their meagre pay-rise.

so as far as the price:earnings ratio goes it's still fooked.

...price:earnings AFTER staples is what counts.

......after all,it doesn't matter whether you live in a 1 bed flat of a 5 bed house...the likes of your phone bill,council tax,gas,electricity,water etc will not change significantly.

you make a good point there live-in-hope.

I don't think the bulls have cottoned on that the utility bills are swallowing up their meagre pay-rise.

so as far as the price:earnings ratio goes it's still fooked.

...price:earnings AFTER staples is what counts.

......after all,it doesn't matter whether you live in a 1 bed flat of a 5 bed house...the likes of your phone bill,council tax,gas,electricity,water etc will not change significantly.

Well that isn't strictly true and I think a lot people only budget for their mortgage payments when deciding to climb up the property ladder, they forget the council tax doubles in some cases and it certainly costs a lot more to heat and light a 5 bed house than it does a 3 bed even.

Well that isn't strictly true and I think a lot people only budget for their mortgage payments when deciding to climb up the property ladder, they forget the council tax doubles in some cases and it certainly costs a lot more to heat and light a 5 bed house than it does a 3 bed even.

sure there is a bit of leaway on the bills....but not as much as many people think.

...again council tax is also dependant upon area....I know really scummy areas that cost 20% more in council tax than for a comparable property in a nearby county.

the purchase prices were similar but the council tax was £200 per year less.

WRT utility bills the phone stays the same...you pay for the line rental and calls.

TV licence stays the same

gas/electricity/water will increase by about £10 each per bedroom per month.

...and if you are in a 5-bed house the chances are you have another income coming in...whereas 2-beds are commonly single-occupancy.