House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

long time lurking

£$85 Million Bet On Remain From One Bet-Fair Account

Well, what IS the EU? Anybody?

Nobody knows what is for! :unsure:

Oops...someone's off to Gamblers Anonymous in the morning

P

£10 says they won't! :wacko:

Well i was pretty sure Remain was a dead cert i came within a whisker of lumping big on it.

Bet there a few big betters still in shock!

8.50ish in... it`s also being said this influenced the currency markets

Thanks for that.

I had a successful Brexit on Betfair.

That's pretty much the conclusion I came to during the the three weeks of my trades through to June 23rd.It was obvious there was someone with very deep pockets pushing Leave odds out.At one point iirc,there were 7/9 polls with Leave ahead and you could still get 3 on BF for Leave with Remain odds on.Crazy.

Obviously,the $85mn if it's true it was from one account was probably more than compensated for by the puts they had on sterling and stocks.

A lot of the Press were out there saying the bookies are never wrong even if the polls are.

The key to the trade to me was the revelation from Ladbrokes that the bulk of punters were backing Leave but that the average betsize was small.

In a way the punters did call it,they just didn't have the deepest pockets .

I had been wondering why, after the 'shock' result, bookies hadn't come out (with a thinly-veiled PR exercise as they often do) and said they'd lost money on the referendum. Now I know why. :lol:

And where is it?

How big is it?

Is it growing?

It might have been a bookie hedging it's books. Or a player betting against other bookies with different odds.

E.g. A five horse race, bet on all five to ensure you win. Different bookies give different odds so you play them off each other for a guaranteed profit. There is still some risk - let's say the referendum was cancelled because of the MP murder - the bets may not be refunded.

I had been wondering why, after the 'shock' result, bookies hadn't come out (with a thinly-veiled PR exercise as they often do) and said they'd lost money on the referendum. Now I know why. :lol:

They cleaned up end of regardless of the 85 million (tats a punter to punter bet not a bet taken by a Bookie )

They were betting on there own book

It might have been a bookie hedging it's books. Or a player betting against other bookies with different odds.

E.g. A five horse race, bet on all five to ensure you win. Different bookies give different odds so you play them off each other for a guaranteed profit. There is still some risk - let's say the referendum was cancelled because of the MP murder - the bets may not be refunded.

Or someone to whom they could 'lose' the £85 million if it meant a 'surprise' result could make them more money.

I dunno, maybe a 10% swing in the value of the pound to the dollar?

Or someone to whom they could 'lose' the £85 million if it meant a 'surprise' result could make them more money.

I dunno, maybe a 10% swing in the value of the pound to the dollar?

Thats where my money would go especially concerning the timing,but that theory may be due to what happened on the currency markets about the same time as stated on the YouTube vid ...but who knows

Thats where my money would go especially concerning the timing,but that theory may be due to what happened on the currency markets about the same time as stated on the YouTube vid ...but who knows

All I know was that it wasn't me and I don\'t really care

"The EU" is a polite form of address used by the inner-circle of the friends of ex-boxer Chris Eubank.

Compares with "The Hoff" for David Hasslehöff, and "The Shat" for pals of William Shatner.

In a similar vein - you may refer to me as "The X" if you like...

;)

XYY

I'm calling BS on this. I took this screenshot at 2.06am on the 24th and tweeted it, as you can see £86m had been matched at that point. At least £55m had been matched when I checked the odds on the evening of the 23rd before the polls closed.

https://twitter.com/RuudGit/status/746147572948025344

And no, I didn't have a bet myself, wish I had laid remain when it briefly touched 1.14 on the morning of the 23rd! I put 50 on leave for a strongly pro-remain mate of mine at odds of 3.7 on the 22nd, he had heard the stat about the number of bets placed being in favour of leave, just to smaller stakes. So he made a profit of 128 quid after commission, could have made a lot more had he instructed me to place the bet on the morning of the 23rd but there you go. The ******* has been giving me grief about the result ever since, in fairness £128 is a pittance to him, but still...

Edit: ignore the time shown on the tweet, I guess that's Pacific Central Time or similar.

That's when I placed my bet... pocketed over a grand in the end.

BE were offering 10 to 1 promotion on the 23rd but the max bet was a tenner.