House Price Crash Forum

Democracy

Bossybabe

HOLA441

What is it about democracy that people don't understand? The majority voted out for whatever reason. (In my case, and I'm sure that of many others, the reason wasn't racism or wishing to stop immigration.) Why bother to have non-binding referenda? What is the point of letting the people think THEY have a choice when government debates and overturns the majority decision because some people (the minority) don't like it? Is popularity more important than the fate of our country? I despair. This whole débâcle makes me want to emigrate. ? I miss Daft Boy; we used to have long discussions about politics.

Rant over.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

I just went to watch the red arrows on Swansea seafront. Myself and another 'Leaver' were amongst a group of Remainders - all who work in the public sector within higher education.

You would not believe the panic they are in. They were talking as if the end of the world had happened. They are having emergency planning meetings this week, and for the foreseeable future, to plan redundancies due to losing tens of millions in EU money.

When my friend and I pointed out that nothing has changed, and might not change for years, they just carried on the doom, doom, doom bit..

So we asked them who they got the EU money via and what they had said. Turns out that the EU body has told them that nothing HSS changed and that the money is continuing... bit that did not stop my well paid well pensioned public sector workers p*ssing themselves.

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448

The End of the World is much over predicted. :(

...why worry about the end of the world, the end of this world is when we die, average lifespan 80 odd years....a nano second in the scheme of things....we have hardly any time left, try and make the most of it......we will never be as young as we are today.:)

HOLA449

I just went to watch the red arrows on Swansea seafront. Myself and another 'Leaver' were amongst a group of Remainders - all who work in the public sector within higher education.

You would not believe the panic they are in. They were talking as if the end of the world had happened. They are having emergency planning meetings this week, and for the foreseeable future, to plan redundancies due to losing tens of millions in EU money.

When my friend and I pointed out that nothing has changed, and might not change for years, they just carried on the doom, doom, doom bit..

So we asked them who they got the EU money via and what they had said. Turns out that the EU body has told them that nothing HSS changed and that the money is continuing... bit that did not stop my well paid well pensioned public sector workers p*ssing themselves.

It's hard to believe how poorly educated these people remainers are. They have nothing to fear but fear itself.

Cameron did the only thing he could do in the faxced of the leave win: he turned tail and put his head in the sand.

HOLA4410

Welsh universities turned getting money out of the EU to a fine art. Many researchers (myself for instance) have never got anything out of the EU only the industry, U.K. Govt or US sources (don't ask..).

I don't discuss the subject- all colleagues are raving remainers and view anyone who thinks otherwise as less enlightened versions of Enoch Powell.

Btw most EU science funding was about mobility - getting people moving around Europe and developing the poorer parts. There was also mass breaking of the spending rules by institutes in certain member states too... And that's just what I have seen/heard from a distance.

HOLA4411

Who is fearful?....there is no reason to be fearful......we must respect all peoples choices, everyone has a interest in voting either way...people voted having gained right honest information or misinformed manipulative information.....things are changing all the time....the vote was only a snapshot in time.;)

HOLA4412

Referenda in a parliamentary democracy seem like a pretty stupid idea.

Cameron only called it to prevent some voters moving to UKIP & because his hubris caused him to believe he would win comfortably

In the event he lost the vote & his job. So on any measure it was a suicidal gamble.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

It's hard to believe how poorly educated these people remainers are. They have nothing to fear but fear itself.

Cameron did the only thing he could do in the faxced of the leave win: he turned tail and put his head in the sand.

What angers me is that they are very well paid, very well pensioned, all seem to be home by4PM each day and live within a couple of miles of where they work... and they are always moaning about how hard done by they are.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418

Referenda in a parliamentary democracy seem like a pretty stupid idea.

Cameron only called it to prevent some voters moving to UKIP & because his hubris caused him to believe he would win comfortably

In the event he lost the vote & his job. So on any measure it was a suicidal gamble.

True, but not without precedent in the history of the EU. The problem is that the commission thought they had got all that out of the way by now. I am hearing from french friends and acquaintances that the number of eastern europeans there is starting to grow rapidly. If the UK is cut off as a destination, expect this to continue and france to be next. Thing is the french really now how to protest, expect the presidential palace to be burnt down...

HOLA4419
HOLA4420

With me it's not going to be too camouflaged till Wednesday, when I get to the hairdressers.

......hairdressers! am sure they will do a really good job, fraid thousands of others DIY it with a bottle job......can you tell the difference? ;)

HOLA4421

......hairdressers! am sure they will do a really good job, fraid thousands of others DIY it with a bottle job......can you tell the difference? ;)

Yes, but I'm far too polite to ever mention it.

The women I know with the nicest hair do spend £80 every month to look like that.

It's not an important thing of course, but it is a case of getting what you pay for.

HOLA4422

Yes, but I'm far too polite to ever mention it.

The women I know with the nicest hair do spend £80 every month to look like that.

It's not an important thing of course, but it is a case of getting what you pay for.

Sorry Frank, if you know me by now, one of my fundermental beliefs is that you do not always get what you pay for....price and value are two completely different things. ;)

Having said that, some people need to pay for people to do things for them, others can afford for others to do things for them......both reasons are very different.

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Sorry Frank, if you know me by now, one of my fundermental beliefs is that you do not always get what you pay for....price and value are two completely different things. ;)

Having said that, some people need to pay for people to do things for them, others can afford for others to do things for them......both reasons are very different.

I have on occasions done the wife's hair colouring with fairly successful results but she prefers having it done at the hairdressers. I think the actual ritual of the process is quite important to her as it is to a lot of women. It is part of their armour for confronting an often hostile world. For example, the late Barbara Castle would confront any ministerial or political crisis by first getting her hair done. Personally I think the cost is outrageous but then I am a person who gave up the barber's for a Number 3 cut with Wahl clippers years ago. Men have their own extravagances but they tend to be on different things such as mechanical toys of all sorts.

Archived