House Price Crash Forum
Fairyland

Let Germany Offer Young Britons Citizenship, Merkel Deputy Says

Link: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-07-02/let-germany-offer-young-britons-citizenship-merkel-deputy-says

Vice Chancellor Sigmar Gabriel suggested that Germany could offer citizenship to young Britons, saying they shouldnt be punished by the majority that voted to leave the European Union in the U.K. referendum.

They wanted to stay in Europe because they know the world is changing and the U.K. cant go it alone, Gabriel said in a speech to a Social Democratic Party conference in Berlin on Saturday. So its a good sign that young people in Britain are smarter than their strange political elite.

If this happens and the 75% young ones migrate to Europe who will support the poor old ones in their mansions?

Oh wait ... Who will buy their mansions if they want to downsize?

And what about those BTL young generation farmer LLs.

Edited by Fairyland

I wonder how Germany would feel if 100,000s Young people turned up on their doorstep. Thoug the article is quite specific - those already living in France, Germany or Italy (obviously a young UK person wouldn't be living anywhere else in the EU - which may be a root cause of the problem with the EU........).

I would seriously consider taking it though....... Depending on the details.

Germany is facing a serious population decline of millions in coming decades as Germans don't have enough children so they're grateful for any people they can attract. I'm sure they'd love to get their hands on a slice of the UK's Europhile young graduates.

I voted Leave. I've lived in Bavaria and loved it. Lovely place, lovely people. I'd take up that offer if I was young and single. Oh wait, there's a couple of million Syrian Muslims there now. I'll pass thanks.

Edited by the gardener

I wonder how Germany would feel if 100,000s Young people turned up on their doorstep. Thoug the article is quite specific - those already living in France, Germany or Italy (obviously a young UK person wouldn't be living anywhere else in the EU - which may be a root cause of the problem with the EU........).

I would seriously consider taking it though....... Depending on the details.

Let me fixed that - 6,000,000 low skilled people turned up, wanting a bump up to their money to make the rent.

Erm, would it actually be that hard to get a German passport in the first place?

I'm regularly in Germany and the only people I have met from the UK who plan on having a long term future there are ex-squaddies (which shows that many ex-forces people without a degree are actually a lot more cosmopolitan than some little herbert from the University of West Croydon.)

Was talking to a Slovak colleague the other night about Brexit, and pointing out that young supposedly educated Brits go of to somewhere like Prague for the weekend, order everything in English, shout at the top of their voice how cheap everything is, repeatedly say xyz is better in Britain. Then on their return to the UK regal everyone with what great European citizens they are.

Erm, would it actually be that hard to get a German passport in the first place?

I'm regularly in Germany and the only people I have met from the UK who plan on having a long term future there are ex-squaddies (which shows that many ex-forces people without a degree are actually a lot more cosmopolitan than some little herbert from the University of West Croydon.)

Was talking to a Slovak colleague the other night about Brexit, and pointing out that young supposedly educated Brits go of to somewhere like Prague for the weekend, order everything in English, shout at the top of their voice how cheap everything is, repeatedly say xyz is better in Britain. Then on their return to the UK regal everyone with what great European citizens they are.

But as the article seems to say, UK youths (and apparently German, French and Italians) wouldn't lower themselves to live somewhere like Prague. Visit it maybe, but wouldn't actually live there. Note this is my inference from the article, I have no fact to back it up.

I'd be interested in getting a dual passport.

Might even allow some tax efficiencies.

I've got dual nationality, just seems to bring me the kind of tax problems that require especially expensive advice.

But as the article seems to say, UK youths (and apparently German, French and Italians) wouldn't lower themselves to live somewhere like Prague. Visit it maybe, but wouldn't actually live there. Note this is my inference from the article, I have no fact to back it up.

from what I saw the last time I was in Italy (the northern rich part) Italian kids will soon be thinking the Czech Republic is a place for them to aspire to moving to.

Didn't Merkel herself say that about Syrian refugees about a year ago, and then changed her mind within a few weeks and closed borders by brute force? Political gesturing is meaningless, but makes liberals feel good.

Edited by canbuywontbuy

There are two words in the article that give you a clue, they are 'suggested' and 'could'. If you then take into consideration that they were uttered by a point scoring european politician it should tell you all you need to know.

There are two words in the article that give you a clue, they are 'suggested' and 'could'. If you then take into consideration that they were uttered by a point scoring european politician it should tell you all you need to know.

Well, quite. Then again, young people from the UK currently have the freedom to move to Germany without the invitation.

Well, quite. Then again, young people from the UK currently have the freedom to move to Germany without the invitation.

...yes...let's see some walk the talk ... :rolleyes:

That's my point. Young people have had the opportunity since 1993 to live and work in Germany without the invite. I doubt citizenship is much of a carrot, despite the slacktivist notions of the young that "Leave is evil". It's just too much damned hassle to move country based on my principles or even any inkling of aspiration.

Edited by canbuywontbuy

I will second that, I was a ski instructor for two years running in Bavaria, what a wonderful place, and the girls.

Also how about Nicola Sturgeon taking in a load of our Bremainers if she is so worried about them.

Perhaps we'll be seeing a chain of Jockxit Universities starting up, stradling the border

:)

Edited by Saving For a Space Ship

Since Brits are currently EU citizens Im not exactly sure how it will be possible to remove everyones EU citizenship especially against the wishes of everyone who wants to remain an EU ctizen.

In any event it seems like a no-brainer for EU to get around the problem by continuing to issue Brits EU citizenship even after any Brexit.

I would be quite happy to have both a British passport & an EU one in future.

I'm sure many would if they had suitable skills and spoke a European language fluently.

As it stands I doubt we'll see much movement.. of all the people I've ever known only two have moved to Europe. One is a ski instructor, the other generally seems to just bum about at his parents expense.

Since Brits are currently EU citizens Im not exactly sure how it will be possible to remove everyones EU citizenship especially against the wishes of everyone who wants to remain an EU ctizen.

In any event it seems like a no-brainer for EU to get around the problem by continuing to issue Brits EU citizenship even after any Brexit.

I would be quite happy to have both a British passport & an EU one in future.

It's one thing they have long needed a redesign on (EU passports).

Wayback recall Bill Bryson writing, after he got his EU passport... 'looks like the identity papers of a Russian seaman'.

I didn't vote in referendum but issues were all simplified down by Exit and Remain campaigns, and I knew the issues were far more complex but that I didn't have full grasp on them. Now some of those losses from exit are becoming clearer.

Interesting move by Germany.

Let me fixed that - 6,000,000 low skilled people turned up, wanting a bump up to their money to make the rent.

Merkel already invited the whole world to Germany.

In that context, it doesn't sound like much of an offer, really.

The British Army is by and large out of Germany now (we had NATO treaty obligations to keep X amount of troops there). Over the years many met and married German Girls, Some chose to stay on coming out some came back to Blighty....

For an English speaker German is one of the easier continental languages to learn.

My kids saw this story and said they would leap at the chance to take up the offer of a German (or any) EU passport. Of course, currently they *have* an EU passport - and all the working and mobility benefits that entails. While the Brexit deals *may* include freedom of movement etc (or Brexit may never happen), everything's uncertain and a German passport would make them very happy indeed.

The whole Brexit thing underlines the problem of local national governments within the EU when it comes to the rights of individuals. The EU really should have created an "EU citizenship", free of national constraints. Maybe Brexit will be the trigger.