House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mikhail Liebenstein

Self Driving Car Fatality.

First "self-driving" car fatality. Tesla vehicle running on so called "autopilot" which is not completely self driving, but supposed to be more of a safety feature. Suggestion it didn't detect the white stripe on a trailer against a white looking sky background, and the driver who had got used to the system stopped looking where he was going.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/tesla-autopilot-fatality-florida-000000983.html

This is firstly going to be one for the lawyers. Certainly Tesla will argue that they are not liable and the driver was at fault for not monitoring the road ahead.

But the victims lawyers will say, Tesla have designed a vehicle to remove the need for certain activities/responsibilities from the driver. Clearly this has the consequence of increasing reliance by the driver on the system and also causing the driver to relax and stop paying attention. This can easily be considered as a design flaw, similar to pilot induced oscillation in aircraft where there is excess damping

Tesla will want to keep the blame on the driver, as right now crashes generally assume driver fault/error, and insurance pays out, but now it could be that the system is deemed to be in error which will set the precedent for self driving car that the manufacturer is liable. Actually I can see the manufactuer being liable, as rather like Pilot Induced Oscillation in aircraft, things need to be such as the make the vehicle useable for humans.

The share price of TESLA held up incredibly well today all things considered.

Something awful happens in connection with a key selling feature of their main product and... the share price hardly moves down.

Says a great deal about the amount of QE in the market and how no share can be allowed to fall.

To be fair Tesla said you have to have your hands on the wheel at all times and be paying attention, which he was not doing.

I am fairly keen on self driving cars because hopefully it will be at least as safe as current driving.

And when people can't drive cars they will probably lose interest in them. Thus making cars more of a utility which does not need to be owned, thus capital will be allocated better. Rather than having you second biggest purchase do nothing 23 hours a day you will hire like a taxi.

The BBC news item I saw about this left me with the feeling that the incident is causing some people to question whether we should proceed with driverless at all.

If anyone thought that we could transition to driverless cars without any casualties, or that when driverless is the norm that there'd be no fatalities or injuries, then they weren't thinking clearly.

I'm questioning it because it said the driver had to be alert and sitting up with their hands on the wheel.

Well if I have to do that rather than have a kip in the back every morning then I may as well drive it myself and not pay out for a driverless car in the first place.

The BBC news item I saw about this left me with the feeling that the incident is causing some people to question whether we should proceed with driverless at all.

If anyone thought that we could transition to driverless cars without any casualties, or that when driverless is the norm that there'd be no fatalities or injuries, then they weren't thinking clearly.

I would be worried about those hundreds of robots who attack you when you are in your driverless car.

154788.jpg

Edit:

Whilst googling for this image the search brought up loads of images of women being bound & gagged by robotic spiders. It is fascinating what sub-cultures, within sub-cultures, exist out there on the internet.

Whatever you are in to the internet allows you to meet up with others who are like-minded. Robotic spider fantasies eh?

I think it's time, before people forget, to decide the oldest and second oldest professions carried out by robots.

Carpentry and Children's TV presenting?

A profane and inhuman love?

Demon-Seed-book-cover-1.jpg

Ha ha! I don't expect to be in a "self driving" car any time soon. I am driving to my own accidents. :blink:

"Driver" was an ex-Navy SEAL apparently.

If you look on youtube there are videos about an ex-Navy SEAL who have had sex-changes. There are quite a few apparently.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=navy+seal+sex+change

What does that say? That the SEALs attract a higher number of transgender people than average?

Or are these few examples just evidence of the statistical percentage of people in the population who consider themselves transgender?

Or is it something 'snapping' in the mind of men who endure extremely stressful situations - lots of ex-fighter pilots have had sex-change surgery - as a means of escaping the pressures of their jobs?

Apparently there are two transgender British 'female' athletes potentially due to represent GB this Summer in Rio. New rules state that you don't even have to have surgery....just that your testerone is below a certain level for 1 year.

That sounds a tad bizarre.

So, presumably, their sexuality was ambiguous at birth but brought up as boys and now, although they probably have predominantly male genitalia, are going to compete as women? My head hurts.

I still reckon Tesla have a legal issue here.

It is widely understood by aircraft engineers that you need to get the system damping right, other the pilot will be induced into error as he creates a feedback loop by overcompensating for changes in altitude.

Similarly they also put bends into motorways to keep drivers alert.

I'd suggest that an autopilot is naturally going to reduce the alertness of the driver as they are being kept less engaged.

If you look on youtube there are videos about an ex-Navy SEAL who have had sex-changes. There are quite a few apparently.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=navy+seal+sex+change

What does that say? That the SEALs attract a higher number of transgender people than average?

Or are these few examples just evidence of the statistical percentage of people in the population who consider themselves transgender?

Or is it something 'snapping' in the mind of men who endure extremely stressful situations - lots of ex-fighter pilots have had sex-change surgery - as a means of escaping the pressures of their jobs?

I thought i read a couple of stories about some ex-SAS & or PARA that had a sex change?

Isn't that "Naked Rambler" guy an ex marine?

From self-driving accidents to naked transsexual marines? :blink:

I thought i read a couple of stories about some ex-SAS & or PARA that had a sex change?

Isn't that "Naked Rambler" guy an ex marine?

I read about an ex-para. No idea about the naked rambler bloke.