House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dave Beans

Knackered Os?

I have a Acer V3 371 with win 10 on it. Its been hacking me off recently, so I thought I'd do a full factory reset.

So I tried to, but it failed twice. Then when I turn it back on, it just comes up with the Acer logo, it waits for about 3 seconds, then it reboots, and does the sequence all over again. I can't get access to the bios, and it doesn't even reach the post tests.

Any ideas?

Check manufacturers site for how to get access to BIOS settings - I had to do this with a Lenovo, it wasn't obvious.

Download and create a bootable disc or USB copy of Windows 10 and boot from the disc if it will allow you to (though I am guessing this is where the issue is..)

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

You could try putting a clean, fresh hard drive in just in case the one in it has a hardware failure, which might then cause it go get as far as "No operating system".

BTW as far as I know, all installations of Windows 10 have the same licence key - it's a fairly well-known "secret" ;)

Are there any clues in how it was behaving before you decided to rebuild it?

from the web:

If you upgraded your system to Windows 8, the UEFI Firmware Settings option might not be available. If this is the case, proceed as follows: Power on the system. As soon as the first logo screen appears, immediately press the F2 key, or the DEL key if you have a desktop, to enter the BIOS.

Check manufacturers site for how to get access to BIOS settings - I had to do this with a Lenovo, it wasn't obvious.

Download and create a bootable disc or USB copy of Windows 10 and boot from the disc if it will allow you to (though I am guessing this is where the issue is..)

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

You could try putting a clean, fresh hard drive in just in case the one in it has a hardware failure, which might then cause it go get as far as "No operating system".

BTW as far as I know, all installations of Windows 10 have the same licence key - it's a fairly well-known "secret" ;)

Are there any clues in how it was behaving before you decided to rebuild it?

Cheers, I did think about going down that route. Disk failure is less likely as it's purely solid state. If I did download the backup media, I don't think it'll boot off the stick because it doesn't even reach the bios.

I think Acer use f2 for bios access, as well as shift F10.

Cheers, I did think about going down that route. Disk failure is less likely as it's purely solid state. If I did download the backup media, I don't think it'll boot off the stick because it doesn't even reach the bios.

I think Acer use f2 for bios access, as well as shift F10.

All electronics fail. even SSDs.

You can get a copy of W10 from MS that will boot and reinstall W10 from the stick.

F2 for bios

"Try turning it off and on again..."

Not so easy for you as you've got an integrated battery which will be powering some circuits continuously. So, under the computer, between the two hinges about 1/3rd from the left (as seen from the bottom, front towards you) is a small hole - this is disconnects the battery (somehow). With the power cord disconnected press this button (with a toothpick, etc) and hold for about 10 seconds. Then turn on computer and press f2 during the first splash screen (some computers only do bios on first turn-on, not on reboot). See if that helps.

Oh, and SSD failure rates similar to HDD - don't skimp on backups just because you've got a SSD. But, doesn't sound like SSD problem (yet).

F2 for bios

Not so easy for you as you've got an integrated battery which will be powering some circuits continuously. So, under the computer, between the two hinges about 1/3rd from the left (as seen from the bottom, front towards you) is a small hole - this is disconnects the battery (somehow). With the power cord disconnected press this button (with a toothpick, etc) and hold for about 10 seconds. Then turn on computer and press f2 during the first splash screen (some computers only do bios on first turn-on, not on reboot). See if that helps.

Oh, and SSD failure rates similar to HDD - don't skimp on backups just because you've got a SSD. But, doesn't sound like SSD problem (yet).

reset CMOS?

if you can't get into the BIOS, then you might just be able to open it up, and then move the jumper clip to reset position for a couple of seconds.

replace into "active " mode and then reboot.

I think this should automatically go into the BIOS setting .then you can check your boot menu and restart.

I thought your "O"s were knackered. I wasn't sure I wanted to find out what that meant...

...his incredulity was stretched to the limit, perhaps. ?

F2 for bios

Will try that. I don't trust physical HDDs. Never have. I rely on cloud nowadays, as it makes my data machine independent.

Will try that. I don't trust physical HDDs. Never have. I rely on cloud nowadays, as it makes my data machine independent.

I think the cloud is full of disks, and everyone can see your data. :blink::lol:

I think the cloud is full of disks, and everyone can see your data. :blink::lol:

I've just st started using that Microsoft cloudy thing to store the documents I need to access when I'm not at home. It irritates me constantly because of the options it presents when saving. I always have to go searching around for the folder on the cloud. It steams up my glasses. ?

I hope so....aren't all your disks filled with pictures of bidets? If so, you should be running for the hills...

I hope so....aren't all your disks filled with pictures of bidets? If so, you should be running for the hills...

I am no longer in the toilet plumbing bum washing business! :huh:

I've just st started using that Microsoft cloudy thing to store the documents I need to access when I'm not at home. It irritates me constantly because of the options it presents when saving. I always have to go searching around for the folder on the cloud. It steams up my glasses.

Once upon a time these cloudy things were mainframes providing computer bureau services which just goes to show that there is really nothing much new in IT

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_bureau